Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jerusalem - the 'National Anthem of England'?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blake was a fascinating and complex character, deeply religious and non-conformist. He was light years ahead of his time in terms of his views on race, democracy and the rights of men and women. He actually did see angels and demons, once running from his house when he encountered the devil in his hallway. He was arrested in Felpham for sedition. If I recall correctly, he was arguing with a drunken soldier who was being a tad too patriotic for the likes of Blake and in or near Blake's garden.

His religion was deeply mystical and he did believe truly that England was God's new Jerusalem and home to the Holy Grail, brought to this fair land by Joseph of Arimathea, hence the words in the poem. The lines about 'dark satanic mills' is widely believed to refer to Blake's disgust at the de-humanising Industrial Revolution and in particular to a certain Albion Flour Mills in Southwark.

I like Blake a lot. Mad as a march hare, a multi-talented artist, a pioneer in copper-plate art and a true Englishman. Peter Ackroyd's biography of him is superb.

Good summary of a life. Don't forget the Greeks had forward thinkers on Democracy and peoples rights 2,500 years ago. maybe not race but possibly.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Good summary of a life. Don't forget the Greeks had forward thinkers on Democracy and peoples rights 2,500 years ago. maybe not race but possibly.

Yeah, whilst keeping most of the population as slaves.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure that a national anthem, that includes the name of the UN's serial offenders capital in the lyrics, is a good message to put out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Got to be honest, watching that medal ceremony for the cycling I bloody LOVE Jerusalem as an anthem, it has so much more about it than our current one. I've said it before but I prefer it by a mile to GSTQ.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Blake was a fascinating and complex character, deeply religious and non-conformist.

Getting on for 45 years ago, came to Blake via 'Jerusalem' (it's part of his Milton, a long poem], and to that originally via Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
As an artist, Blake had some considerable influence, IMHO, on album-cover art in the 60's and 70's....
Read him for a semester in uni.

Second on the Ackroyd bio. Reading it reminds one that Britain in the late 18th and early 19th c. was a very turbulent place -- differing in degree perhaps from France, but not really in kind...

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Indeed. Holst, Vaughan Williams, Bridge and Ireland all studied with Parry.
I wish my students turned out that well.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Can you imagine Rooney trying to sing Jerusalem?

And did those erm feet in erm ancient erm times
erm walk upon erm da da da da da.
dum dum dum dum
Do do do dody do.

I dont think he'd get past 'ancient' - that's got two syllables.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Been on many an England cricket tour, nothing better than starting the day with a rousing rendition of Jerusalem, and a couple of cold beers, Happy days.................

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I love the tune. The lyrics are awful. Maybe someone should re-write the lyrics to befit an national anthem.

Oh dear, I think the lyrics are magnificent (if slightly bonkers) as befits their composer.....

I have had problems in the past singing the second verse due to welling up thinking about their significance. Sorry if that is a bit Pseuds Corner!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I love the tune. The lyrics are awful. Maybe someone should re-write the lyrics to befit an national anthem.

What? Are you serious? The words are perfect. It sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear Jerusalem sung.

Tell you what though - just for you, the KLF did a great job of re-interpreting the tune with this splendid effort. (The Jerusalem tune is at the end)

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Not sure that a national anthem, that includes the name of the UN's serial offenders capital in the lyrics, is a good message to put out.

It's not the capital of anywhere though is it - it's an illegally occupied city. But your point stands DIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here