Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jersey question

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
As Dazzer says above, in the old days they had white patch on the back with the number on but over time they just stuck a number over the stripes and no one could read it, no matter what colour they used, as it got lost in the stripes. We now have a situation where we have player name, number and a sponsor’s name on the reverse (something akin to an advertising hoarding) that require a panel in order to read any of it.
When shirt sponsoring first came out back in the late 70s we went to plain blue shirts which went down like a lead balloon but the money generated from sponsorship was too much to lose.

Interesting. I did like the plane blue/pinstriped jersey from a few seasons ago. It looked very smart. (although I get the arguments against it from a tradition point of view)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As Dazzer says above, in the old days they had white patch on the back with the number on but over time they just stuck a number over the stripes and no one could read it, no matter what colour they used, as it got lost in the stripes. We now have a situation where we have player name, number and a sponsor’s name on the reverse (something akin to an advertising hoarding) that require a panel in order to read any of it.
When shirt sponsoring first came out back in the late 70s we went to plain blue shirts which went down like a lead balloon but the money generated from sponsorship was too much to lose.

No sponsor on the back since 2017, guess the advertising isn’t working on everyone.

Jul 7, 2003
Is this a Palace nobber taking the piss? Seagle is somewhat suspect.

Fairly sure it is a play on American Eagle which is rather an important bird to our friends across the pond.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bournemouth can get away with stripes on the back - red and black stripes allow for white names and numbers to be quite clear.

It also seems to work okay with Brentford (they seem to use a lighter red than Bournemouth, unless this is an optical illusion caused by the effect of it being with white and not black).

I understand why we don't have stripes on the back - the names and numbers do get lost with our blue and white - but I want to get something off my chest. I love the Albion, but I don't actually like blue and white stripes. If I do buy a kit, it is generally the away kit (with the recent exception of the 'pinstripe' home shirt).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bournemouth can get away with stripes on the back - red and black stripes allow for white names and numbers to be quite clear.

It also seems to work okay with Brentford (they seem to use a lighter red than Bournemouth, unless this is an optical illusion caused by the effect of it being with white and not black).

I understand why we don't have stripes on the back - the names and numbers do get lost with our blue and white - but I want to get something off my chest. I love the Albion, but I don't actually like blue and white stripes. If I do buy a kit, it is generally the away kit (with the recent exception of the 'pinstripe' home shirt).

That’s heretical and punishable by burning at the stake!

I prefer a plain blue back of shirt block rather than white……. And blue shorts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here