Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jerry Springer - RIP

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Jerry Springer, best known for his raucous TV talk shows, has died aged 79.
The controversial presenter hosted The Jerry Springer Show for nearly three decades from 1991.
Springer died peacefully on Thursday at his home in Chicago, his publicists confirmed to BBC News.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Used to love watching Springer.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry !!!!

RIP

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
His show was a huge step forward in the dumbing down of TV.

No idea what he was like as a person but his broadcasting legacy is nothing to be celebrated. As a TV host he was responsible for vile, pathetic, content and the exploitation of some of the most vulnerable in society.

He has a shameful legacy in my opinion. Paved the way for people like Trump to gain popularity.

No tears shed here.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn't comment on his character. But his television was the modern version of a Victorian Freak Show. Clearly placed to introduce people with no social skills to a baying crowd and set up for conflict. Exploitative TV aimed at a sub denominator of cultural intrigue. It isn't missed, or shouldn't be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting (or not) bit of TV history;

It was the US screenwriters strike of the early 90’s that ushered in an era of unscripted shows like Jerry Springer, COPS, and MTV’s The Real World.

Where the public took the place of actors and the script was whatever fell out of their mouths.

Arguably, this along with the import of no-holds -barred European/Scandi shows like Eurotrash, Big Brother shaped shows from the Netherland and the OJ Simpson drama playing out on live news, brought about the culture of trash TV, often masquerading as social studies or experiments.

In reality it was all about getting the public, for a fraction of the cost of actors and screenwriters, to provide limitless content. And if they had to debase themselves to do so? Even better.

Telly, in fact some areas of culture as a whole, never recovered.

Last edited:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I took a plane home from Chicago once and there was a group of three people (two men and a woman) on-board who had been on Jerry. How did I know they'd been on Jerry? Because they were repeatedly and very loudly complaining about the show.

It also happened to be 9/11 (not 2001, some years later) and I remember one of them loudly proclaiming that "there better not be anybody trying any 9/11 shit on-board". Not sure if he thought that would make the rest of the passengers feel safer? I had actually forgotten that it even was 9/11.

Anyway, the people on the show were clearly just as trashy outside the show. Not that I think many people would have doubted that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did like it initially, along with Donahue and Ricki Lane. It was the novelty of watching construed in your face conflict.

But it got worse, a human zoo for laughing at folk from the wrong side of the tracks. Jeremy Kyle and ITV copied it.

George Clooney’s father gave JS his first broadcasting job, they later disowned him after seeing the TV monster he’d created.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
His show was a huge step forward in the dumbing down of TV.

No idea what he was like as a person but his broadcasting legacy is nothing to be celebrated. As a TV host he was responsible for vile, pathetic, content and the exploitation of some of the most vulnerable in society.

He has a shameful legacy in my opinion. Paved the way for people like Trump to gain popularity.

No tears shed here.
100 percent this, the shocking exploitation of vulnerable people for commercial gain.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
There used to be an efl team with a player same name fans used to chant jerry jerry jerry jerry....its bugging me can anyone recall the team a few years back.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Many on here mocking what he created, and the shows that followed, but I knew few people in the noughties who were not late on at least one occasion due to waiting to find out the results of a lie detector test....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here