[Humour] Jerry Sadowitz gig cancelled at Edinburgh Fringe

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But that isn’t the purpose of making a film of a book. They are different mediums. I haven’t read this book but if I did my imagination would summon up a different picture than yours. Same for everybody. You need to set lower expectations of replication between books and films and take or leave someone else’s interpretation. There is absolutely no obligation for it to match yours.

The purpose is to bring to life the characters and story within those stories.

This show has not done that because they have added so much into it that never existed something that had such huge potential has now been butchered, the trailers are enough to know this.

I don't think we needed a couple of American Millennials interpretation of Tolkien's stories. The obligation is to the person who created the world, only a ego driven narcissist would think they could take such a work and put their spin on it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Offensive' is a red herring here. <snip> Business knows this, and, as business now runs everything, it is this knowledge, and not a freak generation of snowflakes, that is infringing on widespread access to art that pushes boundaries.

Brilliant post.

:thumbsup:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Building your comedy around offensive humor indicates that you're either not very intelligent, or a very clever businessman who knows there are plenty of low-intelligence people out there willing to pay for your shite.

Bernard Manning had a Rolls Royce, left a million pound estate and his Asian neighbour, a local GP, of 25 years delivered the eulogy at his funeral.

Clearly a happy medium can be reached………

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The obligation is to the person who created the world, only a ego driven narcissist would think they could take such a work and put their spin on it.

It's not always about putting spin on it, film and book are very different mediums and what might work well in text might not work visually either in film or on stage. This is why they say 'adapted for stage/film'. You also have various constraints, such as time, when you switch so certain elements get altered purely for this. From memory some of the characters in Trainspotting get less time and character devlopment in the film than the book, others get more for dramatic effect.

This said, the different ending to the original Brighton Rock film still annoys me to this day.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

This is what has happened . . . just not to your taste. This is okay.

This show has not done that because they have added so much into it that never existed something that had such huge potential has now been butchered, the trailers are enough to know this.

this is your opinion and it is fine to have one but please don't think that yours is more important than anyone elses' only a ego driven narcissist would think like that

I don't think we needed a couple of American Millennials interpretation of Tolkien's stories.

No worries champ, don't watch it

The obligation is to the person who created the world,

He can't, for a couple of good reasons: 1 he isn't a film-maker and 2 . . . and this is a big one . . . he is dead

only a ego driven narcissist would think they could take such a work and put their spin on it.

No, anyone who is adapting someone's work is putting their own spin on it that is what happens. That is what is supposed to happen. That is what always happens.

The only difference here is that you don't like it. . . which is fine . . . but try not to moan when others have a different opinion :facepalm:

I am going to go and try to explain this concept to my cat :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don't think we needed a couple of American Millennials interpretation of Tolkien's stories. The obligation is to the person who created the world, only a ego driven narcissist would think they could take such a work and put their spin on it.

So only the writer of the book is qualified to make the film ? Isn’t it a little narcissistic to suggest that your interpretation matches that of the author ? You have different imaginations. Books aren’t just a list of facts. Also, what about books from hundreds of years ago ? What about modern writers who like writing books rather than films ? You are setting some quite restrictive rules.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A second show cancelled, Daily Mail headlines, A [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] thread, 7 pages of NSC posts in one night, all over social media (I'm guessing the last one)

I bet he never imagined that when he was writing this show :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's not always about putting spin on it, film and book are very different mediums and what might work well in text might not work visually either in film or on stage. This is why they say 'adapted for stage/film'. You also have various constraints, such as time, when you switch so certain elements get altered purely for this. From memory some of the characters in Trainspotting get less time and character devlopment in the film than the book, others get more for dramatic effect.

This said, the different ending to the original Brighton Rock film still annoys me to this day.

The point is this has nothing to do with Millennials or 'woke' culture (or Jerry Sadowitz for that matter). It has always been so and will always be so. Things are adapted and sometimes we don't like them as much as the original. No need to be precious about it (pun intended) or gatekeep in the belief that your interpretation is better than anyone elses.

It appears to me that most often people bang on about this crap and pretend that they don't understand the concept of adaptation is that they don't like the fact that there are more women, people of colour and LGBTQ+ people in TV and films these days.

Anyway, the cat gets it now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is what has happened . . . just not to your taste. This is okay.

No this isn't what happened. Half of the characters in the show don't exist in Tolkien's world.

this is your opinion and it is fine to have one but please don't think that yours is more important than anyone elses' only a ego driven narcissist would think like that

It's a fact not an opinion. The story is nothing like Tolkien's so they have in fact butchered it by cutting up little bits of it to make an absolute meal of it.

That is the epitome of butchering something.

No worries champ, don't watch it

I probably won't.

He can't for a couple of good reasons: 1 he isn't a film-maker and 2 . . . and this is a big one . . . he is dead

He made his thoughts very clear on people ****ing with his works. Something Peter Jackson was very aware of when he made his movies.

Once again something you'd have no clue about. There's a theme here.

No, anyone who is adapting someone's work is putting their own spin on it that is what happens. That is what is supposed to happen. That is what always happens.

The only difference here is that you don't like it. . . which is fine . . . but try not to moan when others have a different opinion :facepalm:

I am going to go and try to explain this concept to my cat :lolol:

You own a cat, says it all. :lol:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
What a clueless take on things.

You do realise that it's not a left/right thing yes?

Some of the biggest names in comedy pushing back against this kind of thing are people who hold liberal views on the whole.

It's the culture war Muppets who label them right wing because those soft cocks have zero humour and contribute sweet **** all to the comedy space.

The true authoritarians are those who complain about such shows and want them shut down.

there are surely all sorts of free choices being made

The venue has the right to put on who they like and cancel those they dont like
the audience has the right to attend or leave
the comedian has the right to say what he likes within the law

By the venue cancelling this comedian no one is restricting his right to free speech. He has every right to hire a venue himself and put on his own show if he cant do it anywhere else

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A second show cancelled, Daily Mail headlines, A [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] thread, 7 pages of NSC posts in one night, all over social media (I'm guessing the last one)

I bet he never imagined that when he was writing this show :wink:

...and Piers Morgan defending you.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
there are surely all sorts of free choices being made

The venue has the right to put on who they like and cancel those they dont like
the audience has the right to attend or leave
the comedian has the right to say what he likes within the law

By the venue cancelling this comedian no one is restricting his right to free speech. He has every right to hire a venue himself and put on his own show if he cant do it anywhere else

I think people are questioning why book him in the first place if you're only going to cancel him.

Incompetence on their part or scared of a bit of noise from some unfunny moaners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here