Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain DeFoe

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
West Ham, OK, Palace, maybe, at a push - but Bournemouth? Why? We'll both have PL TV money to splash about, and we've got a bigger and better ground than B'mth, bigger and better training facilities, we daw bigger crowds - and we are nearer London. Not saying we will pay enough to get Defoe, but I still don't see why he'd be more likely to go to B'mth - it can't be that wonderful; after all, Murray chose to come here rather than stay there...........

Didn't he start his career there on loan, and score in loads of games on the trot?

Edit: it was 10 consecutive games that he scored in whilst there, equalling a post-war record.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
West Ham, OK, Palace, maybe, at a push - but Bournemouth? Why? We'll both have PL TV money to splash about, and we've got a bigger and better ground than B'mth, bigger and better training facilities, we daw bigger crowds - and we are nearer London. Not saying we will pay enough to get Defoe, but I still don't see why he'd be more likely to go to B'mth - it can't be that wonderful; after all, Murray chose to come here rather than stay there...........

Stared his career there. More stable PL team. Better squad. Murray wouldn't have left Bournemouth if he either suited their style or could get in the team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He loves Bournemouth for some reason

I would imagine 80/90k a week wages and a 5 million signing on fee at least - depending who is after him.

You could make an argument for him in every Premiership squad.

That's not even considering China/Middle east teams paying him

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't he start his career there on loan, and score in loads of games on the trot?

Edit: it was 10 consecutive games that he scored in whilst there, equalling a post-war record.

Just because he had a brief loan spell there 16 years ago, I don't particularly see why he'd be busting a nut to get back there now to play for a two-bob club in front of 11,000 every other week.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Just because he had a brief loan spell there 16 years ago, I don't particularly see why he'd be busting a nut to get back there now to play for a two-bob club in front of 11,000 every other week.

I'm not saying he'd be champing at the bit to go back there either, but was just pointing out that they are a realistic destination for him (amongst many other PL clubs), and that he did have some history with them.

If I was a betting man, I'd say he'll go back to West Ham.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we all letting DeFoe slide? He ain't a Musketeer.
I assumed this thread was about a different player.

After all we've had at least 3 other threads taken over by talk of Defoe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He does not excite me at all. Throughout his career he's been lucky to hit 33 games in a season. He's getting on a bit now. My guess is if he's offered 40 grand a week by anyone in the second tier (Fulham, Reading?), he'll snap their hand off. I'd be genuinely shocked if we wasted money on him. There is a whole world out there, with much younger and fitter and more promising hungry goalscorers who'd love to play in the PL and live down here. We have been fortunate with our old man signings, especially our old man former promising (former our) striker signings. Now its time to stop.

Oct 25, 2003
I imagine about half of the Premier League will be after him- we'd have to do VERY well to sign him.

Was Hughton at Spurs at the same time as Defoe?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clause is that he can walk away for nothing following relegation.
That seems like a pretty dumb clause to give a player. If they want to leave a club on a free and get a hefty signing on fee at their new club, it becomes in their interest to get their present club relegated.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I imagine about half of the Premier League will be after him- we'd have to do VERY well to sign him.

Was Hughton at Spurs at the same time as Defoe?

Yes. Hughton was at Spurs as a coach between 93 and late 2007. He was Jol's assistant when Defoe spent much of his first spell there.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Don't anyone delude themselves. We cannot afford his wages. Just accept it. It's not happening.

If reports are true that Knocky and Stephens are both now on around £40k p/w, don't you think Bloom would be willing to splash out on a FREE transfer at double those wages for a proven Premier League goal scorer?

I think he would be willing... but obviously Defoe has to be willing too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here