Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For as long as they are in the PL and have a mega wealthy backer.
They have had a head start on us and are learning how to survive at that level. They could be the new Swansea. Get promoted, stick to the same formula and consolidate. Eventually, however well run you are, your time runs out and comfortable mid-table turns into relegation dogfight. But its quite possible B'muff may get 7-8 seasons at that level. A lot will depend on whether Howe stays.
We have to look at their formula and learn from it.

Hmmm... we will get the PL TV money and have a wealthy backer, who is actually a fan... we also have the Prem infrastructure, which they don't have... personally, I think we would be stupid to follow their model.. we need to look at clubs like WBA, Stoke, Southampton, not the smallest club in the PL...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He will score a bucket load for Bmuff.

I am not convinced he is what we need though as stupid as that sounds

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Hmmm... we will get the PL TV money and have a wealthy backer, who is actually a fan... we also have the Prem infrastructure, which they don't have... personally, I think we would be stupid to follow their model.. we need to look at clubs like WBA, Stoke, Southampton, not the smallest club in the PL...

I think that is most likely the real plan but I guess the club don't want people to get over excited or look silly if we get relegated straight away :p

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sign Defoe on 80/90/100k a week - or use the money to get 2 or 3 players in and make the squad better.

Sunderland showed have one good striker doesn't work.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He will score a bucket load for Bmuff.

I am not convinced he is what we need though as stupid as that sounds

Not stupid at all, we play a counter attacking style but Defoe is prone to getting caught offside a lot. We need a whippet with a brain more than a fox in the box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe Defoe has not scored since the 0-4 palace game. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Blunderland have been goalless in 18 of their 34 Premier League games this season.

Clearly that's far from being just JD's fault, but nevertheless that's a lot of £80,000's for not a lot of output.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Miles above our pay structure. Miles.

So we still can't compete with Bournemouth, and this goes back to when we were in the Championship with them and we couldn't get Grabban to sign.

Still waiting for the Bournemouth bubble to burst.....seems having the infrastructure is not so important after all......

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I thought bung-taking throwback of a manager Allardyce would have considered linking up with him again.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We don't want any old passenger. Players need to subscribe to the Albion way of doing things

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
OK, I'll bite. You've conceded you're being stupid :)smile:), but inform us why.

Its stupid that we would not want a striker with his goal scoring record in the premier league, but i just dont see him fitting in with our style of play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't want any old passenger. Players need to subscribe to the Albion way of doing things
and want to make a name for themselves in The Greatest League in the World TM SkyTV

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I think that using the smallest club in the Premier League as a model for survival would be quite sensible. Yes, they have a wealthy backer but generally they have been sensible.

The Premier League, for clubs like The Albion, is all about being smart and staying up (initially). Bournemouth seem to know what they're doing. Why not take a leaf out of their survival book?

SAC

May 21, 2014
He could be an asset to virtually any PL team outside the top 7. A brilliant goal scorer and you have to wonder what he would be like in a better team.

It's funny that when he signed a contract for £80k a week, everyone (me included) thought Sunderland were mad. However has been by far their most influential player and their ability to stay in the PL as long as they have has a lot to do with him.

If there is no transfer fee then I would imagine him wanting wages closer to £100k a week and I'd be surprised if a number of teams weren't tempted to pay it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He could be an asset to virtually any PL team outside the top 7. A brilliant goal scorer and you have to wonder what he would be like in a better team.

It's funny that when he signed a contract for £80k a week, everyone (me included) thought Sunderland were mad. However has been by far their most influential player and their ability to stay in the PL as long as they have has a lot to do with him.

If there is no transfer fee then I would imagine him wanting wages closer to £100k a week and I'd be surprised if a number of teams weren't tempted to pay it.

so question is would we pay £5 million for him (assuming £100k) if it was one year I would seriously consider it....balanced out with a loanee like Abrahams who might cost another £5 million (loanee fee & wages)...Happy for people to identify others and from europe but Defoe has proved a lot of people wrong (as has Ibrahimovic). Class and footballing brains count.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its stupid that we would not want a striker with his goal scoring record in the premier league, but i just dont see him fitting in with our style of play.

Got the first bit and agree with it, but am not so sure of the second bit -- again, care to elaborate why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here