Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jeremy Sarmiento

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Personally I believe he would have played a lot of football with us had we not loaned him out, due to the injuries we've had, the number of games and the general rotation policy.

I also don't know much about how Ipswich or West Brom used him. But I've seen him enough in a Brighton shirt the season before that to see that he's going to spend his career at Premier League level and not Championship level.

I would have preferred we developed our own player rather than someone else's .. and I said that at the time.
Hindsight, eh?

Alternatively, he could've done a Ben White and played week in, week out for a championship club, while we had next to no injuries (meaning if JS HAD stayed, he would've been sat on the bench for the majority of the time).

In reality, it was a scenario that didn't work out as planned - hence the club switch - but I still think it has been beneficial to JS. Listen to what JPVH said about his season in the Championship - words to the effect of it making him the player he is today.

He'll come back next season, be assessed and then either integrated into the first team squad or sold for a profit. Win-win for the club, IMO.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think he'll go, but the fee is unlikely to be that high in my view, his appearance and injury record is patchy, 8m sounds about right..... NB I think Undav will resist a return too, though he could get us somewhere in the region of 15m.
8m for a Championship substitute?

He could reach that price after playing regularly for a season but right now we wouldn't get half that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
8m for a Championship substitute?

He could reach that price after playing regularly for a season but right now we wouldn't get half that.
Depends if they go up.

You could argue established international with PL experience. On reflection I think @heathgate guess is probably better than mine.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Depends if they go up.

You could argue established international with PL experience. On reflection I think @heathgate guess is probably better than mine.
Saying he has Premier League experience would be stretching it a bit. According to stats he played 215 minutes over 2 seasons with us.

8m is a lot for a player that isn't a regular starter for a lower tabel PL team, never mind a Championship team. Then again, Chelsea paid 25m for Sanchez after wed already signed Bart and he'd effectively been demoted to our 3rd choice goalkeeper.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hindsight, eh?
Not hindsight. I said on here at the time it was a mistake

We knew we were looking to challenge on 4 fronts. We were always going to get injuries with all those games. RDZ knew he wanted to rotate heavily.

He'd have played plenty and it was obviously foreseeable.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Not hindsight. I said on here at the time it was a mistake

We knew we were looking to challenge on 4 fronts. We were always going to get injuries with all those games. RDZ knew he wanted to rotate heavily.

He'd have played plenty and it was obviously foreseeable.
RDZ (and presumably the club) clearly had no faith that he'd be able to see the season through injury free being rotated in a side that was challenging on 4 fronts. The fact he got injured at West Brom and has been mostly a sub (only 11 starts) means they were probably right. He's made 37 appearances this season but that only equates to 14 x 90 minutes across the whole season, and more importantly he's only played 1 full 90 this season - hardly the 35 games that RDZ wanted him to play to prove his fitness.

“Jeremy Sarmiento will go on loan, it’s our current plan. We talked with him and we agreed that after his last injury he needs to have a minimum of 35 games before coming back with us.”

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
RDZ (and presumably the club) clearly had no faith that he'd be able to see the season through injury free being rotated in a side that was challenging on 4 fronts. The fact he got injured at West Brom and has been mostly a sub (only 11 starts) means they were probably right. He's made 37 appearances this season but that only equates to 14 x 90 minutes across the whole season, and more importantly he's only played 1 full 90 this season - hardly the 35 games that RDZ wanted him to play to prove his fitness.

“Jeremy Sarmiento will go on loan, it’s our current plan. We talked with him and we agreed that after his last injury he needs to have a minimum of 35 games before coming back with us.”
This was one of those quotes which is for public consumption but stands up to no logical scrutiny. If it's our policy to loan out every player who has injury problems the following season, we'll be sending about 25 players to the Championship in August.

The only thing that really makes sense to me is some sort of manager and player disagreement / ultimatum on playing time. And yes this stuff happens, but from a football point of view, the loan never made sense.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Saying he has Premier League experience would be stretching it a bit. According to stats he played 215 minutes over 2 seasons with us.

8m is a lot for a player that isn't a regular starter for a lower tabel PL team, never mind a Championship team. Then again, Chelsea paid 25m for Sanchez after wed already signed Bart and he'd effectively been demoted to our 3rd choice goalkeeper.
All true and fair.
But player values are further inflated upon promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here