Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Hunt-v-Junior Doctors.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ha-ha!
Well, my old man isn't a commie and he doesn't approve of the strike; however he does share one or two views put forward by the other Jezza...............Corbyn, that is.
There is no accounting for old medics, they can be very stubborn old goats.

I think we need a POLL to determine the biggest PLUM called Jezza.

The contestants could be

Hunt
Corbyn
Clarkson
Kyle (who I saw on Thursday bumming a Marlboro Lite off a security guard).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

The contestants could be

Hunt
Corbyn
Clarkson

that bloke who posts on here from Chailey is a right old pompous pedant who sucks up to Barber et al. So add him to the list.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The contestants could be

Hunt
Corbyn
Clarkson

Looks like a dead heat to me.

One doesn't know the truth when it's staring him in the face.
One doesn't know reality when it's staring him in the face.
One doesn't know there are alternative opinions and
one just doesn't know.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

The contestants could be

Hunt
Corbyn
Clarkson
Clarkson by a country mile,.... and that says something considering my dim view of Corbyn.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Interesting that, amidst all the predictable political posturing and brouhaha on this issue, no-one has opted to post the article by Simon Jenkins from the Guardian on 12th February on this issue - see reference below

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/10/adoration-nhs-tough-love-gps-consultants-nurses

The article seeks to cut through the emotion and channel vision which so often clouds and confuses any debate about the NHS and place the issue of Doctor's pay into a (recent) historical context. It underlines the failure of successive governments to stand up to the BMA, resulting in a series of excellent pay deals for health care staff (e.g. the consultants contract, nurses and other health care groups "Agenda for Change" pay deals and previous junior doctor pay deals) with little or no discernible benefit to the NHS. The article starts as follows:

"John Reid, then the Labour government's health secretary, in 2004 offered GPs a deal that ended weekend and home visits. They could hardly believe it. He also leveraged their average pay to £100,000 a year. People said it would send thousands rushing to accident and emergency. The British Medical Association called the deal "a bit of a laugh", and the King's Fund later calculated it added £30bn in costs to the NHS with no appreciable benefit. But no one blamed the NHS. Everyone loved the NHS.

Worth a read.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting that, amidst all the predictable political posturing and brouhaha on this issue, no-one has opted to post the article by Simon Jenkins from the Guardian on 12th February on this issue - see reference below

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/10/adoration-nhs-tough-love-gps-consultants-nurses

The article seeks to cut through the emotion and channel vision which so often clouds and confuses any debate about the NHS and place the issue of Doctor's pay into a (recent) historical context. It underlines the failure of successive governments to stand up to the BMA, resulting in a series of excellent pay deals for health care staff (e.g. the consultants contract, nurses and other health care groups "Agenda for Change" pay deals and previous junior doctor pay deals) with little or no discernible benefit to the NHS. The article starts as follows:

"John Reid, then the Labour government's health secretary, in 2004 offered GPs a deal that ended weekend and home visits. They could hardly believe it. He also leveraged their average pay to £100,000 a year. People said it would send thousands rushing to accident and emergency. The British Medical Association called the deal "a bit of a laugh", and the King's Fund later calculated it added £30bn in costs to the NHS with no appreciable benefit. But no one blamed the NHS. Everyone loved the NHS.

Worth a read.

Yes, an interesting article.
Trouble is, as he says, it is almost a mortal sin to criticise the NHS, doctors and nurses.Just look at what has been posted on NSC.
As I have said, the BMA is a very political and powerful trade union; but no, according to the gospel of NSC, doctors right and vile Tory politicians wrong.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yes, an interesting article.
Trouble is, as he says, it is almost a mortal sin to criticise the NHS, doctors and nurses.Just look at what has been posted on NSC.
As I have said, the BMA is a very political and powerful trade union; but no, according to the gospel of NSC, doctors right and vile Tory politicians wrong.

The BMA has no political affiliations.

Not sure what you mean by 'powerful'. It has no power within government. If you mean its members almost unanimously back its stance in the issue over junior doctors' contract, it gives them a powerful mandate to enter into negotiations.

It's not the gospel of NSC that says the BMA is right and vile Tory politicians are wrong - it's wider society, including Health Chief Executives who have had to spend their time putting right a falsehood Jeremy Hunt said about them (i.e. that they supported the imposition of contracts - when they did not).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Worth a read.

To be honest, I take with a pinch of salt what Simon Jenkins says about the NHS. He is not a fan and as far as I'm aware, never has been so will always try to put the knife in. Yes there was a pay rise back in 2004, 'the New Deal' but it wasn't the intention of it stop doctors working weekends and home visits. In fact, I'm not even sure that home visits did stop! There was also a pay deal with the nurses before that but that was mainly due to them being traditionally shafted by governments and therefore being very low paid.

Exactly how many pay deals have governments not stood up to? Easy to write good prose but where is the substance.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The BMA has no political affiliations.

Not sure what you mean by 'powerful'. It has no power within government. If you mean its members almost unanimously back its stance in the issue over junior doctors' contract, it gives them a powerful mandate to enter into negotiations.

It's not the gospel of NSC that says the BMA is right and vile Tory politicians are wrong - it's wider society, including Health Chief Executives who have had to spend their time putting right a falsehood Jeremy Hunt said about them (i.e. that they supported the imposition of contracts - when they did not).

There are a number of activists in the BMA who are known to hold pretty strong political views.Just because the BMA has no political affiliations it does not mean that their actions are without political motivation.
As far as 'powerful' is concerned just look back through history.
Finally, I think that you have taken the so called falsehood by Jeremy Hunt, out of its complete context.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There are a number of activists in the BMA who are known to hold pretty strong political views.Just because the BMA has no political affiliations it does not mean that their actions are without political motivation.

There are a number of people who support and/or work for Brighton & Hove Albion with strong political views. It doesn't mean the club has strong political views. Or would you rather the individuals who make up the whole not have any political views?

The union's motiviation is to support its members, without any given political consideration.

Put it this way, you'd be supporting the BMA if a Labour government decided to impose lesser contracts on junior doctors.

As far as 'powerful' is concerned just look back through history.

A powerful trade union is required to defend its members against the worst excesses of an even more powerful government.

Finally, I think that you have taken the so called falsehood by Jeremy Hunt, out of its complete context.

No context to be taken here. The CEOs felt Hunt's offer was 'fair', Hunt took it one stage further and also said that they supported the notion of imposing the contracts. At least 10 felt miffed enough that they needed to come out and clarify that they didn't support the imposition of contracts. In fact, they went further and said that they were against that idea.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I heard Ken Clarke talking about how the doctors were just trying to get a bit more money out of Jeremy Hunt, the way he described the situation was so cynical.

All the while I hear the doctors talking about a very simple problem. The government want's to get more out, without putting more in. When you stretch something it gets longer, but it also gets thinner. This is common sense, and not one politican has adequately acknowledged that this is what they are trying to do, and not one of them have acknowledged that the concerns of the Junior Doctors are legitimate and based on genuine concern for patient safety.

All they have done is spin against the Junior Doctors and made them out to be acting politically for financial gain.

I don't believe that for a second. Whatever you think of the deal being offered I think that how this has been handled and how the Junior Doctors have been spun against is embarassing and shameful.

& I am no fan of the NHS.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
12744459_509086632595862_3326109316243661586_n.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All they have done is spin against the Junior Doctors and made them out to be acting politically for financial gain.

there was a number of issues originally, such as total working hours, shift pattern length. they've been resolved, agreed. the outstanding issue is that of how they get paid for early evening and weekend hours. financial gain? i dont think so myself, however the BMA and the placards at the strikes make reference to pay so they seem to think its about pay. i recall a BMA saying this explicitly on the radio last weekend.

the objective is about budgeting. if you have to pay double time for one 24hr period verses another, how does that impact the rostering? for the same pot of money you'll put more staff on the lower paid shift and less on the higher pay shift. so if you equalise the pay rates you can smooth out the difference to some degree. same budget, difference staffing levels. thats all there is to it really.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There are a number of people who support and/or work for Brighton & Hove Albion with strong political views. It doesn't mean the club has strong political views. Or would you rather the individuals who make up the whole not have any political views?

The union's motiviation is to support its members, without any given political consideration.

Put it this way, you'd be supporting the BMA if a Labour government decided to impose lesser contracts on junior doctors.

A powerful trade union is required to defend its members against the worst excesses of an even more powerful government.

No context to be taken here. The CEOs felt Hunt's offer was 'fair', Hunt took it one stage further and also said that they supported the notion of imposing the contracts. At least 10 felt miffed enough that they needed to come out and clarify that they didn't support the imposition of contracts. In fact, they went further and said that they were against that idea.

We will just have to agree to disagree about all the above.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
there was a number of issues originally, such as total working hours, shift pattern length. they've been resolved, agreed. the outstanding issue is that of how they get paid for early evening and weekend hours. financial gain? i dont think so myself, however the BMA and the placards at the strikes make reference to pay so they seem to think its about pay. i recall a BMA saying this explicitly on the radio last weekend.

the objective is about budgeting. if you have to pay double time for one 24hr period verses another, how does that impact the rostering? for the same pot of money you'll put more staff on the lower paid shift and less on the higher pay shift. so if you equalise the pay rates you can smooth out the difference to some degree. same budget, difference staffing levels. thats all there is to it really.

Having more staff working what were previously higher paid shifts would have to involve less staff working what were previously the lower paid shifts. Unless you increase the numbers of staff (not happening), or unless you require Doctors to work more hours than they are currently working (happening, and inescapably problematic).

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We will just have to agree to disagree about all the above.

With the exception of believing what your attitude woud be in a dispute between a Labour government and the BMA, I wasn't offering an opinion.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
With the exception of believing what your attitude woud be in a dispute between a Labour government and the BMA, I wasn't offering an opinion.

Albion Roar, I am not quite clear on the point you are making.
Anyway, I am off to watch the telly now,so farewell for today.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

You're right about the safety issues, they're mostly resolved but there are some intricacies that could still lead to exploitation and accessing hours (abusing the on call from home rotas then always calling people in to work the full shift).

There is not really a mechanism to increase the number of doctors so you have to take from somewhere if you want more on at the weekends.

Actually as the current contract stands, you could make people work every single weekend as long as average weekly hours weren't more than 48. Intensive care and A&E rotas routinely work 2in3 or 3in4 weekends. Junior doctor cover at weekends is simply not the problem.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Oh well, let us just say the statements are your take on the BMA.
My take on the BMA is rather different. Take your blinkers off and you will probably realise I am correct.
As far as the para re CEO's, I do agree with what you say........... the CEO' s believe the contracts to be fair, but a number of them are against imposition. I understand though, that the suggestion of imposition has been put forward to end the uncertainty of a situation, where it would appear negotiations have been exhausted. I also understand that imposition has the backing of the Government's chief negotiator and the head of the NHS, Simon Stevens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here