Jeremy Corbyn.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Channel 4 Labour leadership debate. Well worth a watch.

If anyone still believes that Corbyn is "unelectable" - then they either haven't been paying attention, or they have been utterly deceived by the right-wing press. The blokes popularity is only going to continue to skyrocket, purely because of his principles and cogency, unlike almost any other politician.

Labour are going to win the 2020 general election, Corbyn will be the next prime minister.

He must have a 7 point lead by now......:)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

If anyone still believes that Corbyn is "unelectable" - then they either haven't been paying attention, or they have been utterly deceived by the right-wing press. The blokes popularity is only going to continue to skyrocket, purely because of his principles and cogency, unlike almost any other politician.
Labour are going to win the 2020 general election, Corbyn will be the next prime minister.

It is very easy to be seen to have principles and promise to put the country to rights with promises of funding for everyone(which is the cause of his popularity) when you are not in power or even Leader of Party. It will become less easy when he becomes Leader of opposition at which time reality will kick in and his popularity will plummet.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
CNz_t8bWUAAIAJ3.jpg

A good piece by Stewart Lee today as well

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/06/stewart-lee-jeremy-corbyn-new-christs-bin-laden

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Corbyn supporter thinks article praising Corbyn by Corbyn-supporting comedian is a good read. Plus ca change.

Oh Mustafa. And Corbyn was doing so well. Oh well, yet another one to add to your bold predictions that were completely wrong. £50 says you're wrong. This article by the Labour Party magazine New Statesman, no less, will tell you why. Both voters and non-voters didn't trust Labour on the economy, they thought they spent too much and they were too left-wing. Labour needs to win Tory voters to win the next election because the strength of the SNP means that they won't win more than a dozen seats back from them in 2020.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/09/can-non-voters-win-next-election-labour

I really do recommend you read that article. It's a pretty gloomy outlook for Labour if Corbyn wins.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Corbyn supporter thinks article praising Corbyn by Corbyn-supporting comedian is a good read. Plus ca change.

Yes your right football websites and the internet know all about Stewart Lee and his PC views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Puggk5MCA

But as Philomena Cunk says, Stewart will never do anything as funny as the Harlem Shuffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSRXb2SesfE

However I still think he is a great writer its really worth checking out his programmes that are often free online, they are brilliantly written and constructed, we are the Stasi of the Angry Birds generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XpvH-j9BHg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

The proof in the pudding will be in 2020 as to whether he is electable or not,personally i dont believe he can persuade middle England in 2020..... to vote for him,if anything i think his views will put them off and resign Labour to opposition where he is unable to achieve anything.........we shall see in 5 years time if he gets the chance to start to enact his policies

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
He's getting backed off the boards by those doing the count, now 1/6 with Ladbrokes after a few nutters last week backed the also rans a for a few shillings
Just picked up some Veuve (handily £7 off in Tesco) to celebrate with Jez

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Will anyone lay me even money that Labour will not win the next general election if Corbyn is the labour leader?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labour needs to win Tory voters to win the next election

I can't open your link to the NS article so I don't know what it says.
But here's my thinking, in theory, Labour could fail to win a single 2015 Tory voter and still win the election. I think something like 42% of those qualified to vote didn't do so, the Corbyn belief is that if he can entice a quarter of those to vote, he'll win the election (I say Corbyn, although I think this is more his strategists thinking).

I should stress that I don't think this will happen: I think some Labour votes will go Tory and some LD, while Corbyn will attract a lot of new voters ... but not enough to win (and some may vote for other parties). That could all change, however, who knows what it will be like in four years - the EU referendum will have a huge impact, for a start. The next election will be extremely interesting

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can't open your link to the NS article so I don't know what it says.
But here's my thinking, in theory, Labour could fail to win a single 2015 Tory voter and still win the election. I think something like 42% of those qualified to vote didn't do so, the Corbyn belief is that if he can entice a quarter of those to vote, he'll win the election (I say Corbyn, although I think this is more his strategists thinking).

The article from the New Statesman was all about the result of TUC polling of voters and non-voters alike and it found that non-voters broadly shared the same opinions about Labour as the voters. Basically, the conclusion was that there isn't a huge, completely untapped well of support for Corbyn from non-voters. Please bear in mind, this is the conclusion from New Statesman based on TUC data, it's not the mischievous ramblings of a right-wing press.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The article from the New Statesman was all about the result of TUC polling of voters and non-voters alike and it found that non-voters broadly shared the same opinions about Labour as the voters. Basically, the conclusion was that there isn't a huge, completely untapped well of support for Corbyn from non-voters. Please bear in mind, this is the conclusion from New Statesman based on TUC data, it's not the mischievous ramblings of a right-wing press.

To be fair, would you expect non voters, presumably therefore uninterested in politics or disenfranchised or whatever, to say they would vote for a man who up until 3 months ago hardly anyone had heard of? It would be more of a shock that non-voters polled had heard of him, let alone confirm they'd likely vote for him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be fair, would you expect non voters, presumably therefore uninterested in politics or disenfranchised or whatever, to say they would vote for a man who up until 3 months ago hardly anyone had heard of? It would be more of a shock that non-voters polled had heard of him, let alone confirm they'd likely vote for him.

The polling wasn't about Corbyn, it was about the Labour Party and the TUC findings were that people thought that Labour spent too much money, they couldn't be trusted on the economy and they were perceived to be too soft on benefits. And they found that non-voters had broadly the same views on Labour as those who actually voted and this idea of a huge pool of left-wingers ready to vote for Corbyn is a myth and a dangerous one at that if you're a Labour supporter. Labour need to overturn Tory majorities by persuading people back to their party. Corbyn's supporters are not winning any middle ground with their 'Tory' insults at anyone who expresses alternative opinions.

I've just read Corbyn's latest statement that he wants people to be able to opt out of paying taxes to support the Armed Forces. Utter madness. How will that work? How will it be policed? If there's a bomb scare in a shopping centre do those who opt out have to stay? Someone please explain that one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I've just read Corbyn's latest statement that he wants people to be able to opt out of paying taxes to support the Armed Forces. Utter madness. How will that work? How will it be policed? If there's a bomb scare in a shopping centre do those who opt out have to stay? Someone please explain that one.

My understanding is he said that in relation to Kosovo in 1999 so even I would say that is a bit of a reach by the Torygraph!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
My understanding is he said that in relation to Kosovo in 1999 so even I would say that is a bit of a reach by the Torygraph!

At some point in the not too distant past the telegraph degenerated from being a respectable newspaper into a purveyor of 'clickbait' articles aimed at right wingers. This just the latest.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Some jokes stand the test of time,always good fun to give them another airing every now and then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't particularly care if he wins the labour leadership, but I dread him becoming PM with his anti-NATO and defence policy views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports