Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
People who say "we need to go to the left to win the election" see 1997, 2001 and 2005 as defeats and 1983 and 1987 as victories

When was the last time this country elected a left wing leader? Even Miliband was too far for the electorate and he looks like Thatcher compared to Corbyn

Others would argue he wasn't left enough (see Scotland for example).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You say that, but he is already incredibly popular on social media. In five years time, an anti-austerity, pro-equality campaign could be exactly what the electorate would vote for.

The right-wing press seems to be shitting itself over Corbyn - and perhaps, rightly so.

think you will find everyone on the right is laughing their tits off

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
you are rather full of doom and gloom today are you alright

yes thank you, are you Glasfryn half full, Glasfryn half empty?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I personally think Corbyn is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale, Tory lite party. Labour's campaign was catesrophic because they no longer connect with the working classes, who historically they are supposed to represent. They need a lurch to the left instead of slowly inching towards the right. After five years of being f*cked over by the nasty party he's the sort of person who might just surprise you come next election.

I spoke to a lot of Labour voters at the election - (I mean a lot), up and down the country. These people weren't members, just normal voters - and less than 5% (that's an estimate) thought Labour were too right wing. If anything they saw Ed Miliband as being too left wing.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
yes thank you, are you Glasfryn half full, Glasfryn half empty?

always half full me
I mean why would you support the Albion if you were not half full:lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You say that, but he is already incredibly popular on social media. In five years time, an anti-austerity, pro-equality campaign could be exactly what the electorate would vote for.

The right-wing press seems to be shitting itself over Corbyn - and perhaps, rightly so.

He might be "popular" on social media, but does that really mean a great deal? A pro-equality campaign, you say. That will get everyone voting for him in droves, won't it, as we all want to be equal. Human nature just does not work like that. If you had said, "equality of opportunity and fairness", then this might resonate more with the electorate.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

20% of the UK electorate are on twitter - it it not a good representation of the UK public. Also social media is dependant on who you follow, due to your left-wing political persuasions, I'd be inclined to say you 'followed' more left wing thinkers and activists which would give you a skewed anti-austerity bias.

If Corbyn was to win - there would be all night dancing in CCHQ and a mass exodus from the Labour party. There is no way JC could win over the country. Even if 50% of SNP and Green voters went to Labour they would still have only got the same amount of votes as the Tories.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I spoke to a lot of Labour voters at the election - (I mean a lot), up and down the country. These people weren't members, just normal voters - and less than 5% (that's an estimate) thought Labour were too right wing. If anything they saw Ed Miliband as being too left wing.

Miliband too left wing? That's almost laughable. But if people want a Labour Party that is, as previously mentioned, Tory lite then that's their call. I personally would welcome a left leaning Labour Party to be an actual alternative to the Tories instead of just being a slightly less worse option.

Stumpy Tim

Miliband too left wing? That's almost laughable. But if people want a Labour Party that is, as previously mentioned, Tory lite then that's their call. I personally would welcome a left leaning Labour Party to be an actual alternative to the Tories instead of just being a slightly less worse option.

The point being they won't be an alternative. They'll be a (large) pressure group who won't ever get to power. Shame the Lib Dems have just elected a goon as they would have been in a perfect place to take advantage

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

That is what I got, can only go by what I personally heard, but I can remember a lot people worried about 'Red Ed' (their words). Corbyn might mean a more principled stance but he would never win. Almost 11 and a half million people voted Tory, Labour need to take at least 2 million people with them to have any chance in 2020. The numbers and appetite simply isn't there from the UK middle earners, middle class - who decide elections.

Would you rather have a Blairite Labour party in Government with 400 seats, or a Corbyn led party which has 200 and no power? Refereed to be Tristram Hunt as a 'pressure group' (it might have noble causes, but it has no influence)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Suspect you are typical of the Labour followers who would prefer to be opposition than government. Benn was the archetype of this genre, and I had always thought Corbyn was in same mould as he has not followed Labour whip on over 500 times. The choice for you and others who share your views is permanent principled opposition, or change sufficiently that you can convince voters who are less committed to the redistribution cause. You won't change the views of the country, the country needs to change your views. Blair managed this because enough Labour activists saw the futility of permanent opposition.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
thats how we stopped the bombings by talking to them

That's not correct we didn't do it by just talking.

We agreed to release hundreds of convicted IRA members including those that had committed some of the most grave terrorist attacks in this country's history.

We also agreed to not pursue those who were suspected of other attacks.

http://news.sky.com/story/1406728/blair-sorry-over-ira-fugitive-letter-blunder

You may agree with this policy, and the terror has stopped, however it was evidently not brought about by chatting.

Natural and Crown justice was sacrificed on the alter of appeasement.............so not without a cost.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's not correct we didn't do it by just talking.

We agreed to release hundreds of convicted IRA members including those that had committed some of the most grave terrorist attacks in this country's history.

We also agreed to not pursue those who were suspected of other attacks.

http://news.sky.com/story/1406728/blair-sorry-over-ira-fugitive-letter-blunder

You may agree with this policy, and the terror has stopped, however it was evidently not brought about by chatting.

Natural and Crown justice was sacrificed on the alter of appeasement.............so not without a cost.

it started with talking though
Churchill said"jaw,jaw not war,war"
some kind of peace has to start with someone talking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here