Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Clarkson Scandal.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
When we are 'bantering' with Palace fans, we seem to tell Palace fans that they are all Gypsies who use caravans as their means of accommodation as an attack against them.

But yet we are kicking prejudice out of football?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've spent 15 or so minutes or so reading through this thread and one question springs to mind .... why is it that when a (and I apologise if this offends) "caucasian" person uses the N word (and the use of it is WRONG) it offends yet when a "non caucasian" uses it to speak to another "non caucasian" its ok ???

You'll find that it isn't always ok. But with those that think it is, it's about empowerment and taking back the word etc.

When a white person uses terms that have historically been used to degrade and dehumanise people, those words carry the weight of a history of subjugation and abuse, that history isn't there when being used by people who come from the same side of history, however there are plenty of non-whites who don't accept that it is ok for them to use any of those terms with each other.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
How many people who are up in arms at this have actually delved any deeper than the salacious headline?

The rhyme is one a lot of us use, albeit not past the first line. he used it in full, mumbling the offensive word. They did about 3 takes, and he rejected the ones where he mumbled it as he felt it could still be vaguely picked up if you enhanced the sound. So, that wasn't broadcast.

Yep, that's what editing rooms are for. You try something, and decides which ones work, and which ones don't. It was not broadcast, but a Red-top rag formerly edited by a man who has a long-running feud with Clarkson managed to uncover the discarded clip, and run with a complete NON-STORY.

I suppose it's better than them running with made-up stories about our servicemen urinating on prisoners of war, but really, you'd think they could have actually come up with some NEWS for their daily comic.

I guess Piers Moron has little else to do after his US talk show was axed, so why not try to make further trouble for the man who delighted at his show being axed. Like or loathe Clarkson, no-one in their right mind can avoid smiling at the thought of him repeatedly punching Piers. We all have to admire him for that, and the comment he made about it "I realised that punching him in the face was never going to get boring, so I did it again" was beautiful.

So your argument is: they tried a racist take, decided not to use so all is well?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
When we are 'bantering' with Palace fans, we seem to tell Palace fans that they are all Gypsies who use caravans as their means of accommodation as an attack against them.

But yet we are kicking prejudice out of football?

Come on... you know the rules... you are not allowed to post anything that makes sense!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Come on... you know the rules... you are not allowed to post anything that makes sense!

But it doesn't make sense. Do you think anti-racism campaigners would chant about Palace fans being gypsys?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So your argument is: they tried a racist take, decided not to use so all is well?
Quite-if he was going to reject the take where you could kind of hear it then why not substitute another word from the off?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
But it doesn't make sense. Do you think anti-racism campaigners would chant about Palace fans being gypsys?

No Doubt they would... although they would never openly admit it! Some are just holier than thou...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

No. Comedy is often about taking risks, being close to the edge of acceptability, so I would suggest they tried to use the full rhyme, but mumble the offensive word. They also did a take where he substituted the word for "teacher". When they reviewed the takes, they decided the mumbling versions didn't work, and they ended up on the cutting room floor.

I don't see that it's any different to typing a racist word with %$^& symbols within the word, but then reviewing it, and deciding to not use it at all before you hit "Post". In hindsight, and in time, you think better of making the reference, even in a disguised way.

So, yes, all is well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Quite-if he was going to reject the take where you could kind of hear it then why not substitute another word from the off?

Because you don't KNOW that you are going to reject a take until you watch it back? That's why they do multiple takes, trying things in different ways to see what works and what doesn't.

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
So if they didn't like being racially abused they were frozen out. Nice.
whatever you do dont read or attempt to understand the post
1984.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The rhyme is one a lot of us use, albeit not past the first line. he used it in full, mumbling the offensive word. They did about 3 takes, and he rejected the ones where he mumbled it as he felt it could still be vaguely picked up if you enhanced the sound. So, that wasn't broadcast.

That is ok then. Why even use a word you know is offensive ? "It is a word I loathe". So he used it twice.

"Of course, I was well aware that in the best-known version of this rhyme there is a racist expression that I was extremely keen to avoid."

"I did not use the N-word. Never use it. "

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Has everyone forgotten there is a game on tomorrow?

Frankly I really couldn't care less what Clarkson has or hasn't said right now. He has made a career out of being controversial anyway.

Is he going to score the winning goal tomorrow. I think not.

Don't rule it out, with a head this size I think he has a good chance of nodding one in from a set-piece.

clarkson.jpg

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
As always you assume wrong............now get on with your knitting I'm waiting on that nice new jumper!! :lol:

I take it you wont want sleeves?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You'll find that it isn't always ok. But with those that think it is, it's about empowerment and taking back the word etc.

When a white person uses terms that have historically been used to degrade and dehumanise people, those words carry the weight of a history of subjugation and abuse, that history isn't there when being used by people who come from the same side of history, however there are plenty of non-whites who don't accept that it is ok for them to use any of those terms with each other.

Well put. It does make me laugh when people's visions of black people appear to come from The Wire or an N.W.A video. The majority of black people are apalled by the word regardless of who is saying it.

However, the historical connotations of a white person using it, serves to make it more offensive. Especially coming from Clarkson who were it 300 years ago would have had slaves himself

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No. Comedy is often about taking risks, being close to the edge of acceptability, so I would suggest they tried to use the full rhyme, but mumble the offensive word. They also did a take where he substituted the word for "teacher". When they reviewed the takes, they decided the mumbling versions didn't work, and they ended up on the cutting room floor.

I don't see that it's any different to typing a racist word with %$^& symbols within the word, but then reviewing it, and deciding to not use it at all before you hit "Post". In hindsight, and in time, you think better of making the reference, even in a disguised way.

So, yes, all is well.

But that's disingenuous, it's not like it's a context thing or a clever bit of word play. It's just a deeply, deeply offensive word with serious racial connotations that Clarkson was 100% aware of.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is tremendously entertaining and I am ACTUALLY eating popcorn which seems appropriate for a BINFEST.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here