Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeff Minton...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
:clap2: Scoring to beat Grays, which means Exeter still have some hope of automatic promotion from the Conference. Marvellous scenes!:drink:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
saw him on sky sports news today scoring for canvey island.... quality player. could do a job?

What can he do ? Plumber, carpenter, Brickie ?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Teletext mentioned him as ex-Orient player.. surely he played 4 or 5 x more games for us?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Orient are closer to Canvey than us though. In every sense.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
When Minton first came to us he was crap ,but in his last season when we stayed up he was superb.Remember when we beat Wigan at home 1-0 when they were top near the end of the season and minton ran the show.Legend in my book.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
BRIGHT ON Q said:
When Minton first came to us he was crap ,but in his last season when we stayed up he was superb.Remember when we beat Wigan at home 1-0 when they were top near the end of the season and minton ran the show.Legend in my book.

Great days (not!). I sponsored his kit for his last two seasons, and have a very nice piccie of him, my daughters, plus Dick Knight's Mum's kids, behind one of the goals at Pissfilled.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I want Exeter and the Accies to go up, sod Grays, they are the Chelsea of the non-league.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What is this myopia with Minton? In pure football terms he was crap! He only looked good for us because he was playing in a team that finished 2nd from bottom of the League two seasons running - surrounded by such dross any half-competent footballer would stand out. When he moved up to our current level with Port Vale he was quickly found out to be a third-rate journeyman and was shipped out. He couldn't even do a job for Orient!

Come on people, by all means remember him as a the brightest spark in a bleak era (even if he was a bit prima-donnerish with it) but do NOT claim he was a good footballer.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Brovian said:
Come on people, by all means remember him as a the brightest spark in a bleak era (even if he was a bit prima-donnerish with it) but do NOT claim he was a good footballer.

Jeff Minton was a good footballer

sorry

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good Minton:

JeffMinton_L.jpg

Bad Minton

badminton.gif

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oooh! I didn't realise he'd won trophies with CANVEY ISLAND! Wow! I AM impressed! He must be a good footballer after all!
:lolol:

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
Brovian said:
What is this myopia with Minton? In pure football terms he was crap! He only looked good for us because he was playing in a team that finished 2nd from bottom of the League two seasons running - surrounded by such dross any half-competent footballer would stand out. When he moved up to our current level with Port Vale he was quickly found out to be a third-rate journeyman and was shipped out. He couldn't even do a job for Orient!

I will claim he's a good player. You're talking in extremes. I would claim that Minton was a better player than oatway and that oatway is playing two leagues above his ability (get well soon charlie all the same). I'm not saying that minton was outstanding but to say he wasn't a good footballer seems a little bizarre. i do however agree he was a bit prima-donnerish about playing for brighton as if he was too good for the club, which, as his subsequent career suggests, is untrue.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
dunno about better than Oatway, but he looked pretty good comapred to Mundee/ Parris et al

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Jeff Minton...

peter smith was there a few years back wasn't he? Marley, marley. those were the days (ahem)..... [/B]

Must admit I was never very comfortable with that chant, and don't think he was either. A black player with dreadlocks (who looks nothing like Bob Marley) ooh he'll surely be impressed if we chant 'Marley, Marley' :rolleyes:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
He was/is quite a skillful player and very tricky with the ball. Trouble was that a couple of hoofing central defenders could just stand their ground and snuff him out. Never understood why the club banners at Priestfield called him Jeff "Kick Ass" Minton.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
I will claim he's a good player. You're talking in extremes. I would claim that Minton was a better player than oatway and that oatway is playing two leagues above his ability (get well soon charlie all the same). I'm not saying that minton was outstanding but to say he wasn't a good footballer seems a little bizarre. i do however agree he was a bit prima-donnerish about playing for brighton as if he was too good for the club, which, as his subsequent career suggests, is untrue.
Fair comment and a bit more balanced than my rant! No, I suppose he wasn't THAT bad, he was our best player and I was disappointed when he left - but I still maintain that if he was with us now, even if he was in his prime, he'd be a bit of a 'figure of fun' character along the lines of Robbie Pethick or Colin Lee (or even a poor man's Paul Brooker).

My main gripe is that every time some knackered has-been is released, from Paul Gascoine to Mark Robbins, some dullard (no offence!) will start a thread on here saying 'could do a job?'

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here