JCL This and JCL That

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I guess i'm a JCL too...i never went to Gillingham , but went to the Goldstone (often - used to be a ball boy).....and was a STH last few seasons of the Withers, but becuase i have under 500 posts on here guessing im one......but hey who cares...I bleed blue and white, that's why I can't give blood, wrong colour see

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There's no point in taking the throwaway comments of nobheads on the internet to heart. You can be on here for years, but that won't necessarily make your opinion valued or have you feel included in the club or a clique that develops. Enjoy your time visiting. Only the saddest and loneliest live here.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Let's see - I would have been about 12, so that's around 1979. Went quite a bit in the 1980's and early 1990's but sadly tailed off in more recent years.

I used to go to the odd game in the 80s/90s but a little younger than you. Most my life lived miles away from Brighton but still supported them. Now I have moved back to the area (just outside Horsham as it happens! :D) and apparently that makes me a JCL.

Actually, I suspect some of the people calling others JCLs weren't even BORN when the likes of you (and I for that matter) first went to see Brighton play. I say THEY are the JCL's :D

Anyway, I'm sure most the time, people are joking when throwing around the JCL moniker. However, if they are joking, that's what smilies are for. Without them you simply can't tell. Personally I think it's because they are JCLs to the internet and don't know what they are doing ;)

Last edited:

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I've been called a JCL a few times (fair point as it was nearly 1980 before I went to a match) but I admit to never having had a season ticket til this season (like over 10,000 others I guess). My point baout this JCL tag is that I only got offered the chance to get a season ticket due to having a history of buying tickets etc. Doesn't it therefore follow that no season ticket holders can be "JCL's"? Unless I've got it wrong.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I used to go to the odd game in the 80s/90s but a little younger than you. Most my life lived miles away from Brighton but still supported them. Now I have moved back to the area (just outside Horsham as it happens! :D) and apparently that makes me a JCL.

Actually, I suspect some of the people calling others JCLs weren't even BORN when the likes of you (and I for that matter) first went to see Brighton play. I say THEY are the JCL's :D

Anyway, I'm sure most the time, people are joking when throwing around the JCL moniker. However, if they are joking, that's what smilies are for. Without them you simply can't tell. Personally I think it's because they are JCLs to the internet and don't know what they are doing ;)

Yes I totally agree with you there. Perhaps those that throw the first stone need to look at themselves first?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
you should not really take anything anyone says on the internet that seriously and always with a pinch of salt.

some on this site take themselves very seriously. just learn which ones to ignore and don't let yourself be wound up. simples

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
The term JCL is starting to really get up my nose. There are some, so called "fans" on this site who seem to want to label everyone as a JCL simply for posting a question, that may seem obvious the them but to the OP he may just want clarification or whatever.

Whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion and to post a reply if they so wish, to label someone a JCL is demeaning and childish and needs to stop. We are all (most of us) Albion fans and it would be good if those doing the slagging off could remember that point.

Regardless of whether I did or didn't manage to see a game in the last three or four years does not make me any less a fan or expect any less respect than those who never missed a game during that time. Just because you were a STH at Withdean does not make you a super hero who demands more respect than others.

So can we PLEASE cut this JCL crap out of posts and start enjoying the wonderful club we ALL support for the right reasons? Thank you.
Do you want a hug? :safeway:

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
you should not really take anything anyone says on the internet that seriously and always with a pinch of salt.

some on this site take themselves very seriously. just learn which ones to ignore and don't let yourself be wound up. simples

No you're quite right. I've calmed down quite a bit. Pork Pie just wound me up, but that was what he was after.

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus

very true. at the end of the day some people will always feel superior to others i guess thats what makes us human, i've already got a few on my blacklist.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Who cares, i maybe a JCL on this site but supported Albion all my life. Just only recently felt the urge to sign up to this Binfest. If you haven't made over 3000 post's then you will be classed as a JCL in the "Superior" members eyes. Dont get upset by it John

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No you're quite right. I've calmed down quite a bit. Pork Pie just wound me up, but that was what he was after.

No,you wound yourself up...........fcuk em all

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Who cares, i maybe a JCL on this site but supported Albion all my life. Just only recently felt the urge to sign up to this Binfest. If you haven't made over 3000 post's then you will be classed as a JCL in the "Superior" members eyes. Dont get upset by it John

:thumbsup:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Ive got quite an interesting insight on this actually, well I think it is anyway!

Two seasons ago I was speaking to my mates dad who had been a Chelsea supporter(ST holder) for about 40 years. After his retirement he spent less time in London and wanted to spend more time with his grandchildren (live in Burgess Hill) and he mentioned that he fancied watching his local team reguarly so I persuaded him to get a season ticket at Albion.

He started off asking me the names of the players, where they played and why certain other opposition players were booed etc. When Albion scored he wasnt bothered, when they conceded he wasnt bothered. I started to notice a change towards the end of Poyets first season and I could see him sitting on the edge of his seat and becoming agitated quite a bit during tense moments. I also took him to about 4 away games last season. Although he is stubbon and wont admit it, I am sure he is starting to become a 'proper' supporter.

He decided to renew his ST for Falmer and he purchased another two for his Chelsea supporting family (one for his son and one for his grandson). Both these have both Albion shirts and have ditched Chelsea pretty much and all they talk about is Albion.

I guess what Im trying to say is that we need JCLs,JCBs, Newbies especially if we are going to add another 8k to the capacity. Surely this is what happens to all clubs at some point in their history when they become (more) successfull?

Is it not good thing?

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Ive got quite an interesting insight on this actually, well I think it is anyway!

Two seasons ago I was speaking to my mates dad who had been a Chelsea supporter(ST holder) for about 40 years. After his retirement he spent less time in London and wanted to spend more time with his grandchildren (live in Burgess Hill) and he mentioned that he fancied watching his local team reguarly so I persuaded him to get a season ticket at Albion.

He started off asking me the names of the players, where they played and why certain other opposition players were booed etc. When Albion scored he wasnt bothered, when they conceded he wasnt bothered. I started to notice a change towards the end of Poyets first season and I could see him sitting on the edge of his seat and becoming agitated quite a bit during tense moments. I also took him to about 4 away games last season. Although he is stubbon and wont admit it, I am sure he is starting to become a 'proper' supporter.

He decided to renew his ST for Falmer and he purchased another two for his Chelsea supporting family (one for his son and one for his grandson). Both these have both Albion shirts and have ditched Chelsea pretty much and all they talk about is Albion.

I guess what Im trying to say is that we need JCLs,JCBs, Newbies especially if we are going to add another 8k to the capacity. Surely this is what happens to all clubs at some point in their history when they become (more) successfull?

Is it not good thing?

Its a very good thing! But some people on here seem determined to try & put off "newbies". I've been told a couple of times to "go & support someone else" as I didn't agree with their politics or views on other non football related matters. Some people have a small club mentality that they can't seem to shake off. If we want to become a big club we need to welcome all of Sussex - even Tories!!! (I am a Tory but I've been told that means I shouldn't support Brighton!)

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've been supporting the Albion for 39 years but have only had a computer for 8 months. Am I a JCL?

AuntAgonist

Plastic fan
Apr 29, 2011
My name is Aunty and I am a JCL.

I first started football when I was a lad. My older brother was heavily addicted to Arsenal and, wanting to emulate him, I pretended that they were my team. He moved away and my supply dried up. There were no local dealers in "Pro" football, as I like to call it.

After many years I moved to Brighton. The circle of friends I had shunned football due to its addictive natue, but I fell in with a group of people taking "Norwich" and "Millwall" on a weekly basis, and soon I was looking for something that would satisfy my own needs.

There had been a lot of press about a recently "discovered" team called "Albion", about as popular as cocaine, and I thought I would give that a go as the supply seemed to be great in my local neighbourhood.

Now I think I am addicted, but as I don't currently want to pay for it I have to rely on charity, such as "The Football League Show". I hope in the future I can develop a proper Albion habit, and the money that is required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports