"JCL" / "Plastic" sniping from Albion fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Superb post. Anyone who comes along to support the albion is more than welcome as far as i'm concerned.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My brother started a travel club in Burwash with the prime intention of getting people over from there who haven't been for years, if at all.

My late father used to bang on about the 70s when we used to follow a coach over from Heathfield to the Goldstone and how he would love to see it happening again when the new stadium opened.

Unfortunately he passed away and my brother decided to make his dream happen... and he has done so very successfully.

So to us, you are the the modern lifeblood of the club and we get very very annoyed when you are described as something inferior.

You are welcome, you are a proper fan and don't let some idiot tell you otherwise. I had this conversation on Saturday with someone who has just started coming. My response was that effectively you are making happen what our late father wanted.

Loads told my brother it wouldn't work and it is f*cking well has and my dad would be overjoyed.

So, thank you.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'm absolutely fine with people supporting the Albion whether they've been to a game before or not.
The one thing that does annoy me is the ones that have no understanding of how Gus likes the team to play football - patiently.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Simple maths mean there are many more fans going to watch our team at the Amex than at Withdean, including to the clubs credit loads more kids.

I don't call them anything other than fans, and we are lucky to have so many new ones.

TB

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Is it really that much of an issue?

How often do you get called a JCL? and how would anyone know that you're a returning fan anyway?

I have my first season ticket for over 10 years this year, no-one has called me a JCL!
(until later on in this thread, i expect :) )

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

How often do you get called a JCL? and how would anyone know that you're a returning fan anyway?

I have my first season ticket for over 10 years this year, no-one has called me a JCL!

Bloody JCL's :rant:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother started a travel club in Burwash with the prime intention of getting people over from there who haven't been for years, if at all.

My late father used to bang on about the 70s when we used to follow a coach over from Heathfield to the Goldstone and how he would love to see it happening again when the new stadium opened.

Unfortunately he passed away and my brother decided to make his dream happen... and he has done so very successfully.

So to us, you are the the modern lifeblood of the club and we get very very annoyed when you are described as something inferior.

You are welcome, you are a proper fan and don't let some idiot tell you otherwise. I had this conversation on Saturday with someone who has just started coming. My response was that effectively you are happen what our late father wanted to happen. Everyone told my brother it wouldn't and it is f*cking well has.

Thank you, anyone who thinks differently can do one.

Good post.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Spot on. Top post.

The sniping from fans of other clubs is pure jealousy. As stated by the OP, most are returning fans from past years. Sure, The Albion have picked up some new fans too. So f***ing what?

Jealousy again.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea

I haven't been called it straight to my face, I am simply referring to the general use of the phrase, by Albion fans directed at other Albion fans. The implication of the phrase is that people who are new STHs this year are less worthy which I do not accept.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Good post. I seriously wouldnt let it worry you though. The perpetrators would rather we were still getting gates of 6000 in our fantastic new home. Its just an inferiority complex thats all.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't been called it straight to my face, I am simply referring to the general use of the phrase, by Albion fans directed at other Albion fans. The implication of the phrase is that people who are new STHs this year are less worthy which I do not accept.

So, it's not an issue then. Just ignore it!

Folk on here tend to jump on any (perceived) weakness just for a wind-up.

Don't get wound up, it'll stop!

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea

You are welcome, you are a proper fan and don't let some idiot tell you otherwise. I had this conversation on Saturday with someone who has just started coming. My response was that effectively you are making happen what our late father wanted.

Loads told my brother it wouldn't work and it is f*cking well has and my dad would be overjoyed.

So, thank you.

Brilliant. Well done your brother.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Well said that man , in the old days the crowds dipped when we were poor then when things improved they returned they were called fair-weather fans none of this jcl shit .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports