Javi Castellano

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who cares how good he is, his name is FLAIR!

Get him in....:clap2:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Defensive are important to you know! Or would you rather we only scouted attacking players? How very short sighted of you.
Scoring 1 poxy goal a game isn't going to get you anywhere in this league....We desperate need speed and goals and priority should be wingers or a quality attacking midfielder.

Sadly Hooton is to cautious and prefers boring negative football

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Scoring 1 poxy goal a game isn't going to get you anywhere in this league....We desperate need speed and goals and priority should be wingers or a quality attacking midfielder.

As per earlier posts, all depends if you concede one really.

Without wishing to be contentious I think Poyet had it just about spot on after Ulloa signed.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

By your apathetic response. I am presuming you felt the same way when Oscar, MCGhee and Peter Taylor were in charge during their promotion seasons?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As Tony Adams once said under George Graham "we know if we score 1 goal we will get at least 1 point if we score 2 we will win" So true even with us.

But clearly that just isn't the case.
As last season shows, the Albion had one of the best defensive records and just held off relegation, mainly due to the ineptitude of the team below.

we know if we concede 1 goal we might get a point, if we concede 2 we will lose.

Stumpy Tim

Utter rubbish! I would prefer to be watching a style of play (Norwich & Bournemouth last season) that concedes three goals at home to one of the worst attacking outfits in the division (us) but entertain in almost every match whilst scoring double the amount of goals than the Albion and getting promoted to boot. Last season, the teams that scored the most goals got promoted, this view that you get the defense sorted first is outdated, dull and as Boro proved last season, unsuccessful. You can't get three points if you don't score which we proved time and time again last season with a defense that conceded relatively few goals.
Hang on. The guy said he would rather win 1-0 rather than lose 4-3 every game. You then say that's rubbish, and you would much rather play like Norwich and Bournemouth. Well neither of those teams lost 4-3 every week - they won.

Of course we would all rather win 4-3 instead of 1-0. But that's not the point being made

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
As per earlier posts, all depends if you concede one really.

Without wishing to be contentious I think Poyet had it just about spot on after Ulloa signed.
Not so sure as to be fair we got lucky in many away games and were largely poor for most...Its clear that attacking football is the way to get promoted.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
By your apathetic response. I am presuming you felt the same way when Oscar, MCGhee and Peter Taylor were in charge during their promotion seasons?
Oscar done brilliant with a crippled squad to be fair :)
Personally I can't stand this passing it around the back going nowhere bollocks :)
No offence like but McGee and Taylor didn't have a £23 million wage budget and it's difficult to compare don't you think?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It matters not one jot where he plays. If he is better than what we already have then it is a welcome addition to the squad. Attacking players are not being ignored. It is just a bit harder to land ones who will make a big enough difference to go from relegation candidates to promotion candidates

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But clearly that just isn't the case.
As last season shows, the Albion had one of the best defensive records and just held off relegation, mainly due to the ineptitude of the team below.

we know if we concede 1 goal we might get a point, if we concede 2 we will lose.

That was an example of what a very proficient organised defence can do. Whether we can achieve that is another point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not so sure as to be fair we got lucky in many away games and were largely poor for most...Its clear that attacking football is the way to get promoted.

I really don't think we did under Poyet, I certainly can't remember any where we were 'largely poor' and got away with it, on the contrary if we had Ulloa instead of CMS earlier in the season we probably would have gone up automatically.

In terms of attack versus defence, I guess we're going to have to disagree, and with the exception of last season, IMO there isn't a lot of evidence that backs your statement up in terms of playing style.

Last year teams were very open and Bournemouth (particularly) and Watford will be punished if they adopt a similar approach. Burnley were workmanlike and I don't think either QPR or Leicester attacked like Bournemouth and Watford.

The season before both Hull and Cardiff were effective but again, not all out attack.

For most of the teams above it is all about momentum and playing from a sold foundation which starts at the back.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It matters not one jot where he plays. If he is better than what we already have then it is a welcome addition to the squad. Attacking players are not being ignored. It is just a bit harder to land ones who will make a big enough difference to go from relegation candidates to promotion candidates

Yes that is absolutely key, however it is always a gamble with foreign players and whether they can adapt to English football, which is why Murphy (IMO), is a better option than the Iranian chap.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As Tony Adams once said under George Graham "we know if we score 1 goal we will get at least 1 point if we score 2 we will win" So true even with us.

I think George Graham used to say that as the score is 0-0 to start with you already have 1 point, try and get 2 more if possible but don't waste what you've already got.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I really don't think we did under Poyet, I certainly can't remember any where we were 'largely poor' and got away with it, on the contrary if we had Ulloa instead of CMS earlier in the season we probably would have gone up automatically.

In terms of attack versus defence, I guess we're going to have to disagree, and with the exception of last season, IMO there isn't a lot of evidence that backs your statement up in terms of playing style.

Last year teams were very open and Bournemouth (particularly) and Watford will be punished if they adopt a similar approach. Burnley were workmanlike and I don't think either QPR or Leicester attacked like Bournemouth and Watford.

The season before both Hull and Cardiff were effective but again, not all out attack.

For most of the teams above it is all about momentum and playing from a sold foundation which starts at the back.
We was shite away under poyet most of the time and just looked to draw most games...A decent manager will focus on winning every game or at least try.
Many recently played with two strikers
Burnley
Bournemouth
Leicester
The ones that didn't had quality wingers and midfielders unlike us who have one player in the box and the rest 20 yards away at least.
Doesn't matter what approach Watford or Bournemouth take as they will get around £150 million regardless.

Look back to the two seasons under poyet away and let me know how many were great away performances :)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hang on. The guy said he would rather win 1-0 rather than lose 4-3 every game. You then say that's rubbish, and you would much rather play like Norwich and Bournemouth. Well neither of those teams lost 4-3 every week - they won.

Of course we would all rather win 4-3 instead of 1-0. But that's not the point being made

That's not what I meant and you know it! The rubbish bit referred to the 'football philosophy' the posters were promoting - which was 'defence first'. What idiot would prefer to lose instead of win?

If we don't sign some players who can create and score goals (Hemed is a good start), we'll be looking at survival again, no matter how good our defence is. All three promoted teams looked to score goals as a priority, none of them had the best defences in the division. We now have some brilliant defensive options and wonderful combinations in central midfield, however, excuse me if I'm not too excited by talk of defensive midfielders, goal keepers or a new centre half. It's all about goals my friend and we've only got one signing that will go anywhere near to improving last season's horrific goal tally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports