Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele signs new deal

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jason Steele has further committed his future to the club, having signed a new extended contract that runs until June 2026.

Men’s first-team head coach Roberto De Zerbi said, “I’m very pleased for Jason. He’s a great player.”

Technical director David Weir added, “Jason is key player for us, on and off the pitch. His attitude, leadership and what he brings to this club every day has been a massive part of our progress throughout his time here.

“I am thrilled that his loyalty and patience is now paying off, and that we have extended his stay with us through until at least June 2026.”

The former Middlesbrough, Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland keeper has made 39 appearances for the club, keeping 14 clean sheets in the process.

Jason made his Albion debut in an Emirates FA Cup third round tie at AFC Bournemouth in January 2019, and made his Premier League debut at Villa Park in November 2021.

Having been a key member of the squad, and respected senior player for Albion for four-and-a-half seasons, Roberto saw his strengths and promoted him as his regular keeper for the second half of the 2022/23 season.

He excelled and made 15 Premier League appearances as we secured our best top-tier finish of sixth, as well as qualifying for European competition for the first time.

This season he has played nine times across all competitions, alongside summer arrival Bart Verbruggen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's a De Zerbi player and I genuinely have no issue with him starting while RDZ is manager.

But let's be honest, if RDZ goes then we've probably got an expensive reserve keeper on our books.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This must be the shortest time between signing 2 differentcontracts at Albion for quite a while.
He signed a new deal until 2025 in January and now its extended further until 2026 only 9 months later. He must have a good agent !

His contract before that was extended - when it had 6 months remaining - in 2021.

He signed in 2018 on an original 3 year contract

Last edited:

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Steele is the embodiment of the fortunes of our club. He had years of hitting rock bottom before rising from the ashes of his career and now basking in the glory of the premiership. Testimony to his resilience and ability.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I would imagine his salary is relatively low for a regular starter in the Premier League. However, this contract extension gives him and his family financial security.
What’s overlooked at times is the fact that the other players seem to love him and his positive, team orientated attitude.
He’s a decent shot stopper and great with his feet which is vital for The way we play under Roberto.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When we are scoring 2,3,4 goals in a game he’s adequate. A tight game like Fulham we are unlikely to win 1-0.
So the outfield players not taking their chances – or Leno making saves – is Steele's fault? I get your point, but it's not quite as simple as that, surely.

Anyway, great news – love the fella :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good for him. But really hope verbruggen starts giving him some competition soon as he's not a top half epl goalie.
'He excelled and made 15 Premier League appearances as we secured our best top-tier finish of sixth, as well as qualifying for European competition for the first time.'

Yeah, ok then... :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here