Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele for England?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has this been said? Or similar? Is there an interview available?
I answered this a few posts back, but I've found the direct quote now. Gareth Southgate said the following:

"They [Lewis Dunk & Solly March] are playing really well and their club are playing exceptionally well. I think the coach is doing an amazing job, I think he's got the team playing in a unique style in our league. They're having an outstanding season as a club."

As I said before, I think some took this to mean something like "they're playing well for Brighton but they play differently to everyone else and it won't work for us so I won't pick them." He didn't actually say that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not saying he would try it. But now that I think about it - you could probably make the basis of an OK team out of the English players from Man City and Brighton, lump Kane up top as a poor man's Ferguson and jobs a good un.

Steele
Walker, Dunk, Stones, Colwill
March, Philips, Foden, Grealish
Welback, Kane

Not a well balanced team with a few square pegs in round holes, but they would probably still do alright against most other national teams.
Looks a fun team, you could certainly add Saka into that and I have no doubt that Rice and Henderson would thrive in an RDZ side.

That's the catch though, England would have to appoint RDZ :(

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I answered this a few posts back, but I've found the direct quote now. Gareth Southgate said the following:

"They [Lewis Dunk & Solly March] are playing really well and their club are playing exceptionally well. I think the coach is doing an amazing job, I think he's got the team playing in a unique style in our league. They're having an outstanding season as a club."

As I said before, I think some took this to mean something like "they're playing well for Brighton but they play differently to everyone else and it won't work for us so I won't pick them." He didn't actually say that.
Fair enough. Yeah there's a few ways you could read that. Unique to him could potentially mean different enough that they wouldnt fit in his England squad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Given Dunk / March don't get a call because they only look good playing Brighton's unusual style (I'm paraphrasing Southgate), surely that applies even more for Steele? I don't see much need for a keeper that's good with his feet in the current England team.
Precisely. My immediate thought is that he's too good. Plus he's not used to having to cover for mistakes made by the likes of slabbers and dire.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sure clubs look at all stats but I doubt they pay a lot of attention to XG.

We had a higher XG than Everton and lost 1-5.

Actual goals are what win football matches not a subjective opinion of whether the person should have scored or not.
But XG is not about winning football matches. It is about analysing play, and thinking about how to plan for games ahead.

If RDZ had looked at our 1-5 score alone, he would have picked five at the back in our next game, with Welbs up front on his own. Instead....we won 3-0 at the Emirates.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sam Johnstone - the Palace number 2 overall is in the squad. Is JS better than him - yes. Is he as good as Pickford and Ramsdale… I’m starting to think he may be. So… yes from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here