Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele for England?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
England scouts are keeping a close eye on the progress of Brighton goalkeeper, Jason Steele, and TEAMtalk understands Gareth Southgate is considering a shock late-career call-up one year out from Euro 2024.

Steele, 32, has been a revelation under Roberto De Zerbi. The stopper has ousted Spain international Robert Sanchez as Brighton’s undisputed No 1 and rewards in the international arena could await.

Indeed, Euro 2024 is just over one year away and TEAMtalk have learned Steele is coming under the watchful eye of Southgate’s England staff.

More etc...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Given Dunk / March don't get a call because they only look good playing Brighton's unusual style (I'm paraphrasing Southgate), surely that applies even more for Steele? I don't see much need for a keeper that's good with his feet in the current England team.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
3rd choice keeper I could see it. Although I dont see him getting in ahead of Pope, Ramsdale or Pickford unless one is struck by injury.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Steele can actually pass the ball successfully 93% of the time he does it,what on earth would Southgate want with a goalkeeper who can do that?

Stuck with what you have Gareth,we don't need you ruining RDZ work thank you very much.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Would just be an incredible moment for him. Almost tear inducing for all of us I'm sure.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This makes no sense to me. Steele is great for us because we play out from the back and have decent defenders so don't need a shot stopper so much as a sweeper. Southgate prefers players like Maguire and Mings and so needs a keeper who is primarily a shot stopper to try and keep the damage down, which is not Steele's greatest strength.

Unless Southgate is thinking of pairing Stones with Dunk and trying to play in the new meta way? The guy doesn't change styles so I doubt this is the plan.

Also Steele plays for Brighton which must surely rule him out by default for Southgate?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No chance.

Too old
Southgate
Not actually that good (let's be honest Bob is a better keeper Steele is in for his distribution and Bob's face doesn't seem to fit any more)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Southgate’s opportunity to say ‘See, I will pick Brighton players’, knowing full well he will never have to play him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
be nice for him to get the call up for the recognition. he isnt going to play though, with better actual keepers ahead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This makes no sense to me. Steele is great for us because we play out from the back and have decent defenders so don't need a shot stopper so much as a sweeper. Southgate prefers players like Maguire and Mings and so needs a keeper who is primarily a shot stopper to try and keep the damage down, which is not Steele's greatest strength.

Unless Southgate is thinking of pairing Stones with Dunk and trying to play in the new meta way? The guy doesn't change styles so I doubt this is the plan.

Also Steele plays for Brighton which must surely rule him out by default for Southgate?
Not sure I want to watch an England team that Southgate sets up to play like Brighton. It would be an unmitigated disaster imo, the guy is a one trick pony.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hasn’t he already said he won’t pick Brighton players due to our complex tactics?
More like because of his complete lack of tactical nous, at least he’s being honest about that

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It is a bit weird isn't it? Got a player who is a decent shot stopper but not particularly elite, but who's excelled with the ball at his feet as an extra playmaker, which just isn't Southgate's style at all.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Not sure I want to watch an England team that Southgate sets up to play like Brighton. It would be an unmitigated disaster imo, the guy is a one trick pony.
I'm not saying he would try it. But now that I think about it - you could probably make the basis of an OK team out of the English players from Man City and Brighton, lump Kane up top as a poor man's Ferguson and jobs a good un.

Steele
Walker, Dunk, Stones, Colwill
March, Philips, Foden, Grealish
Welback, Kane

Not a well balanced team with a few square pegs in round holes, but they would probably still do alright against most other national teams.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not actually that good (let's be honest Bob is a better keeper Steele is in for his distribution and Bob's face doesn't seem to fit any more)
This just isn't true at all. Looking at the stats, they're very similar indeed in their shot stopping % and Steele is somewhat ahead on the PSxG-GA (effectively 'goals prevented') metric.

(untick the "Hide non-qualifiers for rate stats" box to see Steeley)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here