Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele appreciation

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless he drops a complete bollock in the next games, I can see him holding onto the gloves/shirt. Intereating tweet that RDZ thinks he is currently playing better than Sanchez, and Steele is better at ‘his preferred style of play’
This is the bit that worries me a bit ............................ been a fan of Sanchez since his early days at FGR, and thought for a long time that he would overtake Christian Walton .................... and I don't think I'd be happy with him being binned off. I'm not sure what De Zerbi's 'preferred style of play' for GKs is either. Great time for Steele, and well deserved - I've always rated him as much better than Sunderland fans seem to think! - but I still think of Sanchez as the one to go with going forward.
Give him a wake up call by all means - but pissing him off to the extent that he demands a transfer and clears of would be a very bad outcome, IMHO.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
This is the bit that worries me a bit ............................ been a fan of Sanchez since his early days at FGR, and thought for a long time that he would overtake Christian Walton .................... and I don't think I'd be happy with him being binned off. I'm not sure what De Zerbi's 'preferred style of play' for GKs is either. Great time for Steele, and well deserved - I've always rated him as muc better than Sunderland fans seem to think! - but I still think of Sanchez as the one to go with going forward.
Give him a wake up call by all means - but pissing him off to the extent that he demands a transfer and clears of would be a very bad outcome, IMHO.
Yep agreed. Long term Sanchez is still number one. Hopefully this just creates some healthy competition. It would be foolish to put him in a position that makes him feel unwanted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That second keeper everyone wanted to keep Sanchez on his toes…..we already had him.
Steele is our most underrated player.
Great call. Said from the start he was very steady, and more than capable.

Turns out he’s even better than that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very pleased for him as he’s a good keeper and evidently a great guy, but he had a couple of shots directly at him and apart from that nothing to save today - I can’t recall a single shot in the second half. Distribution was no different to Sanchez - a couple of absolutely sublime passes and a couple misfired into touch. Not much to choose between them IMO, which is a brilliant position for the club to be in - competition to keep them both on their toes and no drama if we have to make a change.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He's got the shirt now. Two good blocks in the first half as I recall it and did as required thereafter, albeit not being tested much. He starts next for me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair play to him, got a Sunderland fan mate who crucifies him and love it when he has a solid performance for us. Even better after Stoke, and Sunderland losing 5-1 there today !

He’s sacrificed a lot to be here as well with his wife and kids still up in the north east so he’ll be buzzing getting a run of games and performances like this

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Slightly contrarian/conspiracy view - but could this be some clever trickery from De Zerbi, to have Sanchez in goal and with a point to prove for the FA cup?

Potentially sees the FA Cup as our best opportunity of Europe, so wants Sanchez in goal for these games.

Not only gets our best (?) keeper in for the next important cup games, but also gives him a kick up the backside at the same time, to earn his way back into the squad after the cup.

Inspired?

BHA Fan93

Nov 1, 2020
Slightly contrarian/conspiracy view - but could this be some clever trickery from De Zerbi, to have Sanchez in goal and with a point to prove for the FA cup?

Potentially sees the FA Cup as our best opportunity of Europe, so wants Sanchez in goal for these games.

Not only gets our best (?) keeper in for the next important cup games, but also gives him a kick up the backside at the same time, to earn his way back into the squad after the cup.

Inspired?
Steele starts in both cup and League now, to say Sanchez is the best keeper is to me harsh on steele, out of the games he’s played this season he’s lost once and that was on penalties after keeping a clean sheet and saving two penalties? Arsenal and Liverpool both included in them wins.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah, it will be interesting if Steele plays in cup as well.

If so, not sure how Sanchez works his way back into the squad?

BHA Fan93

Nov 1, 2020
Yeah, it will be interesting if Steele plays in cup as well.

If so, not sure how Sanchez works his way back into the squad?
We don’t know the deeper meaning looking from the outside, maybe it’s not just in the games he’s been disappointing, he could have been the same in training, maybe if he puts the effort into training he might be called upon again, but unless a massive mistake upon Steeles behalf I can’t see him getting back in anytime soon, that’s only my opinion though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There’s absolutely no chance Sanchez gets back in next week.
I agree with this.

RDZ wasn't dropping Sanchez for one match. Steele is getting a run in the team.

I've got a guess that Sanchez (and probably Scherpen) will be sold in the summer and we'll be looking for a new sweeper keeper to take over as our main goalie.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I agree with this.

RDZ wasn't dropping Sanchez for one match. Steele is getting a run in the team.

I've got a guess that Sanchez (and probably Scherpen) will be sold in the summer and we'll be looking for a new sweeper keeper to take over as our main goalie.
Sanchez sold 🤔
by that comment do you mean
he’s dispensable?
or a bigger club wants him ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here