Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jason Gillespie leaving Sussex at end of 2020 season

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There’s an obvious solution.
We would have nothing to lose by appointing him..
You wouldn’t have thought he’d be that expensive.
He still loves the club and lives locally.
He Has experience as head coach at a county, (Although he was admittedly shite at Surrey. Maybe he’s learned from it? ).
Surely any bad blood from the past can be overcome after all this time.
He is a club legend and our most successful ever leader.
We are in no position to ignore all of the above, given how poor we are.
I vote Chris Adams.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pretty underwhelmed by the news to be honest, struggling to see what Rob Andrew brings as Chief Exec brings to the club too. back to another hundred years of anonymity we go......

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
There’s an obvious solution.
We would have nothing to lose by appointing him..
You wouldn’t have thought he’d be that expensive.
He still loves the club and lives locally.
He Has experience as head coach at a county, (Although he was admittedly shite at Surrey. Maybe he’s learned from it? ).
Surely any bad blood from the past can be overcome after all this time.
He is a club legend and our most successful ever leader.
We are in no position to ignore all of the above, given how poor we are.
I vote Chris Adams.

Part of me wants Adams to be appointed to almost settle the argument. Since he moved on everytime the job comes up Adams is linked and if he doesn't get it this time that will continue. Other part of me doesn't want him getting it, failing, and his record looking tainted. Sussex look very much like they are going back to the old days when they were almost a minor county, frankly I'm really worried about their future, in line with other smaller clubs.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Pretty underwhelmed by the news to be honest, struggling to see what Rob Andrew brings as Chief Exec brings to the club too. back to another hundred years of anonymity we go......

Hopefully he’s ensuring our finances are in order so we have a future and hopefully a successful team one day

sphynx

Banned
Aug 13, 2020
Smart move, getting rid of one of the best cricket coaches in the world.....

Not.

Dizzy is a great coach when he has some players at his disposal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Smart move, getting rid of one of the best cricket coaches in the world.....

Not.

Dizzy is a great coach when he has some players at his disposal.

He might be but we don't have the budget for great players. Maybe be we need a less great coach, but someone who's a better coach with average players

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Not overly bothered by the news, he’s not exactly been a roaring success with us given the excitement of his appointment.

This. I was really excited when we landed him, but as time has gone by I found myself feeling more and more indifferent about him. Whoever comes in really has to get a handle on the batting. Once that's stabilised the other disciplines should only need refining rather than radical action.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hopefully he’s ensuring our finances are in order so we have a future and hopefully a successful team one day

How old are you now ? And, how long are you prepared to wait ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How old are you now ? And, how long are you prepared to wait ?

Old enough to watch John Snow bowl for Sussex. I don’t mind waiting as long as I see steady improvement.

And you?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Old enough to watch John Snow bowl for Sussex. I don’t mind waiting as long as I see steady improvement.

And you?

Old enough to remember John Snow playing for England and scoring 76, I think it was, ? off the Australian pace attack of Lillie and Thompson while our batting collapsed...a distant memory... And, thats all we will have now, those Championships of the early Naughties are all we will have.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
He's being very smug and up his own ass tonight on Twitter.

I have to agree - fair play to him for fronting up publicly and dealing with questions from the public, but the way in which he fielded some of the questions came across as dismissive - with all due respect, Gillespie talking about "how proud" he is of our four-day team doesn't really cut the mustard when we've ended up with the joint-worst record of any of the major counties in the Bob Willis Trophy

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Agreed, totally uninspiring appointment. Has lived up to expectations and hit cruise control from day one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agreed, totally uninspiring appointment. Has lived up to expectations and hit cruise control from day one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

An uninspiring appointment ? I thought it was a very exciting appointment at the time.
He certainly hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant modern coach. Needed two more years. Loved him. Breath of fresh air and showed at Yorkshire will deliver over time. One of the best coaches in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here