Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jason Dodd back at Brighton

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Dodd has unfinished business

by Andy Naylor

Jason Dodd may still have a future with Albion, despite being released.

The veteran defender has been invited back for pre-season training and could end up playing for the Seagulls again on a month-to-month basis.

Dodd is wanted by a couple of Conference clubs but the 35-year-old would prefer to stay in the League and is eager to make amends for an injury-wrecked year with Albion.

Dodd, signed on a free transfer last summer after 17 seasons with Southampton, was restricted to seven appearances by ankle and back problems as the Seagulls were relegated from the Championship.

"I want to go back down there to show what I can do," he said. "I feel I still have a bit of unfinished business.

"It was a disappointing season for me and I don't want it to end on a sour note with people thinking I just came down to muck about and for the money.

"That wasn't it at all. I could have gone elsewhere for more money but I had a chat with the gaffer, it was a challenge and that was what I wanted.

"I don't want to leave it with us going down and me only playing a few games. That's why Brighton get first port of call and if it doesn't happen then I will go down other avenues."

Dodd has backed Albion's decision to award new one-year deals to the long-serving quintet of Kerry Mayo, Gary Hart, Charlie Oatway, Richard Carpenter and Guy Butters.

"You need to keep them, if you didn't the club would be in freefall," he said. "Don't get me wrong, we all like to see exciting young players coming through, but they are not going to win you anything.

"You need three, four or five core players. They got the club out of League One before, so they know what is required. If you release them who are you going to get in?"

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Not against this idea - if he can prove his fitness he would be mustard at League 1 level and also mean we can play Reid in midfield where he is far more effective.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent attitude and a companion for Guy Butters on his daily journey, sounds good to me. Bit worried that he WANTS to play for McGhee, I thought the players hated him :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I wouldnt have been suprised if he would have been given a pay as you play contract. Theres no doubt the guy is quality but fitness is the key, as he says if he can prove his fitness I think he will be in MM's plans for next year.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sounds like a good idea, gives us some more experience and isn't going to waste a years money if he can't get over his injury problems.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bit of a slip up though he said" you need Three ,four or five core players" doesn't he make six!!

:ohmy: :D

He will be another leader if Charlie is not playing.

Let's hope he can be fit for the start of the season.

1066gull

they wanted to release him and resign him to show the fans we've signed at least one player:lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Adriodinho said:
they wanted to release him and resign him to show the fans we've signed at least one player:lolol:

:lolol: Good one.

Sounds like good news. If he can prove his fitness then I would be happy to have him playing for us. Very good seasoned professional.

How is the constipation Adrie? (See Avatar)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Early Doors said:
What's the difference between Jason Dodd and Paul Kitson? ATTITUDE. Great attitude from Mr. Dodd. A true proffessional. :clap: :clap:

what?

Did you ever speak to Kitson?

he was desparate to play and was extremely frustrated that he was constantly getting injured.

Albion knew he was injury prone when he came here!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't have a problem with giving Dodd a "Pay as you Play" contract. Could benefit the Albion and the player.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
This news doesn't audibly excite me. He says some words and we feed him a wage or two.
Alan Hansen said a thing about youngsters not winning anything once, didn't he?

Hopefully, he'll be a well-kept pro who honestly teaches someone something or glitters in instants.

Last edited:

SeagullJay

Feb 6, 2006
Dubai
top news
he and McShane were best players on park first game last season at Derby
shame he did last much longer - he would have made a big difference:clap2:

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Dies Irae said:
what?

Did you ever speak to Kitson?

he was desparate to play and was extremely frustrated that he was constantly getting injured.

Albion knew he was injury prone when he came here!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fair comment. That's why, like Dodd, he came out and stated that having only been able to play a few matchesfor us, he would be prepared to repay us by being paid on a monthly or match by match basis is it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one who felt that Kitson was 'sciving'. I'm sure he genuinely wanted to play for us, and was as frustrated as we were that he couldn't.

My point was that Dodd has shown an excellent attitude in looking to repay us for last season. I'm not aware that Kitson offered the same. But as you obviously spoke to him, perhaps you can tell me otherwise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here