Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan pre season

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I take it you have never been before :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to Tokyo tomorrow and staying with family, apparently general stuff is much cheaper now with the weaker Yen, it's almost 200 to the pound now. Obvs still expect to be paying £7-9 quid for a pint and the like but it's meant to be not so bad at the moment for good, shopping and stuff.

Having said that l, I remember it as pretty expensive last time I was there 10 years ago or so, but I'm in Hong Kong atm so it probably is cheap in comparison!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm going to Tokyo tomorrow and staying with family, apparently general stuff is much cheaper now with the weaker Yen, it's almost 200 to the pound now. Obvs still expect to be paying £7-9 quid for a pint and the like but it's meant to be not so bad at the moment for good, shopping and stuff.

Having said that l, I remember it as pretty expensive last time I was there 10 years ago or so, but I'm in Hong Kong atm so it probably is cheap in comparison!
Yeah, we went about 7 years ago and Tokyo was pretty expensive from what I recall, still a wonderful place to visit, I would urge anyone who can go, GO

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't actually but I spend most of my working day interacting with Japanese people so have a good idea of the cost of living there. About £3 a pint, similar for a bowl of ramen. Pretty good if you're used to Brighton prices.
Unfortunately that's not true, at least not in Tokyo. You can buy a beer for that but it's not a pint, it'll be a glass that's about 60% of a pint. Pints are generally around a fiver.

You can eat pretty well for cheap though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Unfortunately that's not true, at least not in Tokyo. You can buy a beer for that but it's not a pint, it'll be a glass that's about 60% of a pint. Pints are generally around a fiver.

You can eat pretty well for cheap though.

Around a fiver a pint, cheap eats, no tipping. Certainly sounds like I was right to say it would be "relatively inexpensive" for a travelling Brightonian.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

You are Gary Dicker and I claim my ten pounds.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Around a fiver a pint, cheap eats, no tipping. Certainly sounds like I was right to say it would be "relatively inexpensive" for a travelling Brightonian.
Yeah, I think it is relatively inexpensive with the current exchange rate. Maybe not cheap cheap but not as forbidding as it once was. I'd make a proper holiday of it though if I were to visit. It's too long and expensive a flight to come out here for just a few days.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Without reading the whole thread, I'm sort of keen to go. Will the club be laying anything on or will our sponsors British Airways be offering any subsidies?
The only thing putting me off is price. My boss has said take the time and go and Nurse Gladys is keen to see the back of me.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
My tip would be Japan Airlines economy class.
The seats are slightly wider than most economy seats, the service is decent and most importantly they provide a direct route from Heathrow. Flying time is just over 14 hours.
The flight will probably cost a bit more than non-direct routes with Emirates, Cathay or Singapore Airlines but it is a lot less hassle and not as tiring as having to make connections.
JAL are also members of the One World Alliance if you gather airmiles.
If it's £200 more, it's worth paying. You'll thank me.

I'm now in Hiroshima which is my favourite so far. It feels more relaxed and is less congested than some of the other cities I've been to so far.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Any goods you purchase over 5000 yen (£25) you can get an extra 10% off by showing your passport.

I've just bought a lens extender for my Sony camera which is £550 in UK, it cost me £335 here.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Any goods you purchase over 5000 yen (£25) you can get an extra 10% off by showing your passport.

I've just bought a lens extender for my Sony camera which is £550 in UK, it cost me £335 here.

What? Everywhere? I'm not going for the tour but going out there for 3 weeks later this year.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
What? Everywhere? I'm not going for the tour but going out there for 3 weeks later this year.
For goods, but not for services like restaurants or bars.

So, watches, electronics, handbags, clothes etc.

All main shops run the scheme.
When you enter Japan at the airport passport control, they put a little entry sticker in your passport.
And when you buy something you show the shop your passport, they enter the number on your passport sticker and give you a further 10% off the advertised price.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As far as I can see it’s 18,000 yen for a seated ticket, blimey, 90 quid.
8,800 yen for a standing ticket, yikes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got my flights and accommodation sorted just tickets, now need to work out the piss up before the game......
青いオウム

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
£90 for a ticket, and if the fixture was at The Amex probably £20.

Just shows the attraction of the PL overseas and why clubs are keen to tap into these markets.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Just booked a pair of tickets for both games, Kawashima game in the main stand (cat 2) the Tokyo verdy in the Back stand..

Now just got to find accomodation & flights

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here