Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Whatever happens in this window I just hope there's some real impetus from the club to improve the squad and find a player or two that'll have an instant impact, rather than the usual 'we're happy developing what we have' attitude or buying a player that needs a season to develop and learn what the Premier League is like. Those methods are fine sometimes but you have to also pair that with signing players who know and have experience in this league or the transferrable quality from another top division.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Josh kings record in the PL is no better than Welbeck or Maupay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The facts:

Josh King: 161 Prem apps, 48 goals, 15 assists
Danny Welbeck: 233 Prem Apps, 46 goals, 28 assists
Maupay: 51 apps, 15 goals, 4 assists

So King and Maupay are 3 in 10 goal scorers, Welbeck is a 2 in 10 goalscorer. Yes, Welbeck has more assists but had better strike partners at Man Utd and Arsenal than he does now.

King has 17 goals for Norway in 51 apps, Welbeck 16 in 42 apps. Welbeck is 2 years older than Kng but he has been injury-free for almost 2 years, whereas King has had thigh issues this season.

However, King is 6 inches taller than Maupay and an inch taller than Welbeck.

Overall, it is clear that King is easily the best striker out of these three.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The facts:

So King and Maupay are 3 in 10 goal scorers, Welbeck is a 2 in 10 goalscorer. Yes, Welbeck has more assists but had better strike partners at Man Utd and Arsenal than he does now.

King has 17 goals for Norway in 51 apps, Welbeck 16 in 42 apps. Welbeck is 2 years older than Kng but he has been injury-free for almost 2 years, whereas King has had thigh issues this season.

If the tables were turned, and we were chasing promotion from the championship would we sell our star striker in January ?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The facts:

I'd certainly take King. Not so much because he'd be any improvement on Welbeck/Maupay, but more because he would certainly be a step up on their current replacements. If we have all our strikers fit and play 2 upfront, then coming off the bench or cover for injuries are Connolly & Zeqiri who currently would better be served with a season in the championship.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the tables were turned, and we were chasing promotion from the championship would we sell our star striker in January ?

1. His contract is up in the summer and he can leave for free.
2. Bournemouth lead the Championship in goals scored despite the fact King has yet to score.
3. There is no guarantee Bournemouth will get promoted back to the Prem, with or without him.
4. Bournemouth could sell and use the proceeds to reinforce in other areas

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Josh kings record in the PL is no better than Welbeck or Maupay.

No its not significantly but he was rotated a lot, played as a winger and is actually available and has a different skillset to the players we do have. As a signing for the project underway he's a terrible idea, 28 and big wages, so no resell and hard to shift, but he does have a lot of pace a reasonable scoring record and a track record. The age and wages makes me think this won't happen but I do think he'd offer a good option.

Personally I'd rather get a young CF with quality but that is harder and more expensive. The only one I think we might get at the right level would be Moussa Dembele from Lyon and he is majorly off form and hence probably considered too much of a risk right now..

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
1. His contract is up in the summer and he can leave for free.
2. Bournemouth lead the Championship in goals scored despite the fact King has yet to score.
3. There is no guarantee Bournemouth will get promoted back to the Prem, with or without him.
4. Bournemouth could sell and use the proceeds to reinforce in other areas

Fair enough. Personally I think there will be other suitors that will be a more attractive proposition to King than us

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Our forward line is the weakest in the league. As far as I'm concerned that's a fact. We lack the clinical, grade A striker that almost every other club has. We need to sign one and we need to do it as quickly as possible. For the board to ask Potter to keep us up with an attacking, expansive play style using the current selection of strikers is ridiculously unfair.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If the club and GP are happy with what we currently have it will be hello to the championship and goodbye to the PL for a number of years

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Graham Potter does not rate Glenn Murray, end of. Once a manager has formed that opinion he very rarely changes his mind.

Glenn's days at the Albion are over, sad though that is.

I don't think Potter would say he doesn't rate him, but he is not well suited to the way Potter wants to play. The question is, will Potter choose to play a way that suits Glenn if he is returned by Watford, to see if that will return a better result? It clearly is not going to be the long term way forward, but any kind of win would do right now to take the pressure off. Potter may not want to risk players losing faith in the way he wants to play, by getting a win playing a different way, but I don't think he is rigid about style, and might be pragmatic enough to give it a go.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I hope hope you are correct as I fear we are relegation bound without a striker/target man and a ball winning midfielder especially if Bissouma moves on, but TB is on record not wanting to spend big during this window

We shall see. Dead wood needs to be disposed of. Spending up to £15m on second rate foreign imports is now proven to be a bad policy. How about spending £30m on proven talent - 1 player instead of 2 - instead?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Our forward line is the weakest in the league. As far as I'm concerned that's a fact. We lack the clinical, grade A striker that almost every other club has. We need to sign one and we need to do it as quickly as possible. For the board to ask Potter to keep us up with an attacking, expansive play style using the current selection of strikers is ridiculously unfair.

100% this. All of it.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If the club and GP are happy with what we currently have it will be hello to the championship and goodbye to the PL for a number of years

Worrying, but true.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The fact there is a significant debate about whether we should bring back a 37 year old striker who can’t get a game for Watford and hasn’t scored for us in over a year says it all really.

And the fact that it’s a valid discussion makes it even worse.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Worrying, but true.

Genuinely - why do we care ? Financially we don’t really lose out - in fact we get more games for our money.

It’s Tony Bloom that takes the hit financially, so if we do go down because he doesn’t want to spend £30M & £75k a week gamble ... then so be if ?

super ads

Jul 14, 2009

I’m sorry but that’s simply not true. “Almost every other club” doesn’t have a grade A striker.

Sheff Utd - No

W Brom - No

Fulham - No. Don’t suggest Mitro is grade A. He won’t get more than Maupay this season.

Burnley - No

Palace - No. They do have Zaha who keeps them up most years.

Newcastle - No. Wilson has only got over 10 PL goals in a season once.

Leeds - No

West Ham - No

That’s getting on for half the teams in the league. My main point being is it’s not as simple as saying go buy a forward.

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Genuinely - why do we care ? Financially we don’t really lose out - in fact we get more games for our money.

It’s Tony Bloom that takes the hit financially, so if we do go down because he doesn’t want to spend £30M & £75k a week gamble ... then so be if ?

Well said. We can see goals & win games. I’m sure even that won’t satisfy some on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here