Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January transfer window

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Jason Steele is 33! He's a relative youngster, and could easily be playing for another 5 years.

Beyond him (or ahead, depending on your opinions) we have - off the top of my head -
Kjell Scherpen
Scherpen is playing regularly for Sturm Graz, currently 2nd in the Austrian league, and getting European experience. What I've seen of him this season (which isn't a lot) is tidy - no great saves but no howlers either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Scherpen is playing regularly for Sturm Graz, currently 2nd in the Austrian league, and getting European experience. What I've seen of him this season (which isn't a lot) is tidy - no great saves but no howlers either.
Not any more, he isn't :down:

Kjell Scherpen has seemingly ended his season-long loan at Sturm Graz - said his goodbyes on his social media last night. If I read his post right, he'll be having some kind of elective surgery.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Remember we will also miss Adringa, Mitoma, Baleba and Lamptey if fit in January for International Tournaments.

Squad stretched to breaking point?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Remember we will also miss Adringa, Mitoma, Baleba and Lamptey if fit in January for International Tournaments.

Squad stretched to breaking point?
Or, looking at it more positively ..... plenty of PL game time for teenagers and 37 year olds

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Jason Steele is 33! He's a relative youngster, and could easily be playing for another 5 years.

Beyond him (or ahead, depending on your opinions) we have - off the top of my head -

Bart Verbruggen
Tom McGill
Kjell Scherpen
Carl Rushworth
James Beadle
Toby Bull
Lorenz Ferdinand

That said, none of that is a block to signing another -that just isn't how our recruitment works. If a player is available and is good business, we'll be interested.

You missed a (goalkeeping) spot
Killian Cahill

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Asia cup is 10th of Jan to 12th Feb. Japan clearly have a strong chance of making the final.

Afcon has very similar dates. Again, you'd expect Ghana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast to at least get out of the groups

It is highly likely that all our fit, eligible players will be selected and will have to join the squads straight after our cup game with Stoke. They might miss .....

Wolves (H)
FA Cup 4th round
Luton (A)
Palace (H)
Spurs (A)

.... And be back for Sheff Utd (A) on 17th Feb. Though you wouldn't expect anyone who had played in the final to feature here.

Mercifully we beat Marseille and so won't have a UEL fixture on 15th Feb.

We may have players returning from injury in the new year. Equally we might incur further injuries. So if the tone of the thread is that we need reinforcements, I agree.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Asia cup is 10th of Jan to 12th Feb. Japan clearly have a strong chance of making the final.

Afcon has very similar dates. Again, you'd expect Ghana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast to at least get out of the groups

It is highly likely that all our fit, eligible players will be selected and will have to join the squads straight after our cup game with Stoke. They might miss .....

Wolves (H)
FA Cup 4th round
Luton (A)
Palace (H)
Spurs (A)

.... And be back for Sheff Utd (A) on 17th Feb. Though you wouldn't expect anyone who had played in the final to feature here.

Mercifully we beat Marseille and so won't have a UEL fixture on 15th Feb.

We may have players returning from injury in the new year. Equally we might incur further injuries. So if the tone of the thread is that we need reinforcements, I agree.
they’ll miss those games at least. possibility they may even be given more recovery time after that.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It literally says in that article which you’ve copied and pasted “Riquelme fears he will leave to Brighton like Barco” that’s a pretty strong suggestion that we’re in.
Again, it is not. It is an out of context remark that your site made a story out of.

I literally quoted the one original source on the internet (which your site quotes/links to) that you posted as ‘evidence’ that to say “we’re in”. That’s a massive leap. Saying a Chairman has said he fears one of his player will want to follow Barco to Brighton is not the same as saying ‘Brighton have agreed a transfer’, or ‘we’re in’ or even that we have any intention of going for him. He also talks in the article I quote about how he fears he will want to go on loan because he can’t find a place for him in the first XI.

There is not even any evidence yet that either that Brighton have agreed to make an offer for Barco to transfer in January or whether any offer will be accepted - Barco has had interest all over Europe and from Chelsea and Man City.

I’ll believe either transfer rumour when it’s a done deal or reported from several reliable sources.

As the website says “Since that’s just a specific website reporting this for now, we should probably wait and see if any major Argentine outlet will have more to say about this alleged chase in the coming days.”

Very different from “we’re in” or the President has actually said “ we are buying him.”

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Off topic, but what a player Riquelme was in one of my early 2000s Championship Manager games
he was a magnificent player

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
January is going to really intresting - TB will want to push on in the EL & the squad shortages are showing - Will he push the boat out ?

I have a wierd feeling that some business with Chelsea might happen - but to us this time
I’m making a bold prediction that this January will be like Jan 2016, when we’d stalled a bit after a great start but made a load of first-team ready signings - and it very nearly got us promoted!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here