[Albion] January Transfer Window

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is part of the issue. I am pretty sure that when Bloom/Barber said this it was aspirational. Over several years. It certainly wasn't a prediction for this season. A slow sustainable build over the coming years, not a rash buy a lot and pay a lot for a quick, but short term fix.

Correct. Many here seem to not understand what a long term goal is.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nope, but when Maupay has scored 50% of those goals I worry about our ability to score should anything happen to him.

Two penalties in those 4.

You think we would miss penalties if he was injured?

Edit:
Don't get me wrong we are light in out and out strikers.
I agree with your other posts regarding options on the bench.

But Potter is clearly building a team capable of getting more goals.
All of a sudden we're shooting from outside of the box ffs!
Trossard/Bissouma/Ali J/Ali MAc will contribute more goals this season.
I'm sure you don't doubt that.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yet we have scored 14 goals in the last 7 competitive games.

A good return I agree but what if one or both of our precious strikers gets injured? We'd really be up the creek without a paddle then.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In 4 games we already have 5 different goal scorers. Our main centre forward has the most goals - is that something to see as a negative?

No, and I’m not selling it as a negative, I’m looking at the bigger picture eg if Maupay gets injured do we have anybody that can adequately fill his role.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Two penalties in those 4.

You think we would miss penalties if he was injured?

Edit:
Don't get me wrong we are light in out and out strikers.
I agree with your other posts regarding options on the bench.

But Potter is clearly building a team capable of getting more goals.
All of a sudden we're shooting from outside of the box ffs!
Trossard/Bissouma/Ali J/Ali MAc will contribute more goals this season.
I'm sure you don't doubt that.

I absolutely do not doubt that, but in all likelihood the majority of our goals are likely to be scored from within the 18 yard box, and sorry for repeating myself, if Maupay is out for any length of time we simply don’t have a genuine option to cover him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A good return I agree but what if one or both of our precious strikers gets injured? We'd really be up the creek without a paddle then.

6 of 14 from 'strikers' . . . . its not like we wont score.

Trossard and AJ up front wouldn't be a total disaster IMO.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They should rename it the January 31st transfer window. If we sign anyone in January you can bet your bottom dollar it will very late.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ok, we’ll have to agree to disagree, I clearly think it’s a massive risk going forward with only Maupay as a true senior striker, you’re not as phased by it.

We would definitely struggle without him.
It's a difference of opinion on the importance of the senior striker role in our current squad I think.

Arguably we had more back up when Murray was our number 1.
But we struggled more for goals back then, even with him fit.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You’ll be amazed how many people refuse to understand that.

Rammed with them. They simply cannot grasp the bigger picture. Bloom can do no wrong even know our options up top is a huge concern.

Another cause of concern is Connolly playing international football. This puts him more at risk of injuries and burn out. He is still only 20 and it wasn't that long ago he nearly went half a season without scoring and didn't look likely to either.

Both of our current strikers had a barren spell last season. The premier league isn't the most forgiving league and to expect these two to play virtually every week without having other striking options is worrying.

I also think we lack another central midfielder in his prime.

This youngish team will involve into a good exciting team under Potter but it needs a few additions now preferably experience. Players around the 25 mark.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is everyone running around wetting themselves? If Tony Bloom is content not to bring in a striker of the standard / quality they want then so be it.

If we get relegated, I'd be disappointed but not overly upset. It is Tony Bloom that will start missing out on the PL TV money once we end up on parachute payments, with a big squad of PL earners.

Tony Bloom has more to lose than any of us.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Potter more than happy to work with younger players that he can work his magic on. We've played great so far this year and been unlucky not to have more points.

Don't worry too much about the Everton performance, every team has a bad day.

I'd like new signings but we won't need them to stay up.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why is everyone running around wetting themselves? If Tony Bloom is content not to bring in a striker of the standard / quality they want then so be it.

If we get relegated, I'd be disappointed but not overly upset. It is Tony Bloom that will start missing out on the PL TV money once we end up on parachute payments, with a big squad of PL earners.

Tony Bloom has more to lose than any of us.

Nobody is wetting themselves. It's called having a debate and voicing concerns on a forum.. Using that turn of phase makes you bit of a bellend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports