Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] January transfer window affecting The Premier

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sonic the Hedgehog in little girl's party socks. I don't think there's a player in the whole PL who irritates me more. I'm totally incapable of forming any rational, objective opinion regarding his football skills, he irritates me that much. Probably a lovely lad.

As per OF&H, a face like Cliff Richard.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah, 1988 - Jack Charlton's 'Irish' team of players qualified to play for England, but with an Irish granny somewhere, or a Grandad who once drunk a pint of Guinness or whatever. I mean, it's not like Ireland have never gone and scooped up a non-Irish player.

Pot and kettle, pot and kettle...........................

I remember Mark Lawrenson telling me of how on his first international he said " their national anthem goes on a bit to which Paul McGrath replied " Shut up you fool its ours". Not sure if it was 100% true but amussed me.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Palace are close to loan signings of Tosun from Everton and Walker-Pieters from Spurs apparently

Swap one non-scoring forward for another non-scoring forward.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Ah, 1988 - Jack Charlton's 'Irish' team of players qualified to play for England, but with an Irish granny somewhere, or a Grandad who once drunk a pint of Guinness or whatever. I mean, it's not like Ireland have never gone and scooped up a non-Irish player.

Pot and kettle, pot and kettle...........................

Really - of the 13 players on the pitch for Ireland that day - 6 were born in Ireland (technically Paul McGrath was born in England - his mother lived in Ireland and was in England when she gave birth) - of the remaining players -
Chris Morris - Irish mother and he held dual citizenship from the day he was born
Mick McCarthy - Irish father and he represented Ireland at underage
Chris Hughton - Irish mother and try telling him he is not Irish.
Ray Houghton - born in Scotland - Irish father from Donegal
Kevin Sheedy - born in Wales, Irish father and he only ever held Irish citizenship
Tony Galvin - an Irish grandfather - didn't even know he could play for Ireland until he talked to Chris Hughton
John Aldridge - an Irish grandmother - and again - try telling him he is not Irish.

Of the above - none played for their country of birth at underage level except for Galvin who played once for the English U-18s.

In the English team the same day was one John Barnes - born in Jamaica to a Jamaican mother and a Trinidadian father - his father was a Jamaican international and was also manager of the Jamaican football team - Barnes had absolutely zero connection with England and didn't even set foot in the country until he was 13 after his father was posted to the Jamaican High Commission in London. And Barnes regards himself as Jamaican - not English. And he is not the only Jamaican that the English have grabbed. At least all the Irish players had Irish heritage and regarded themselves as Irish - even if they weren't born in the country.

And what difference does it make - according to Easy - none of them would have been good enough to play for England anyway because if they were, their talent would have been wasted if they opted for Ireland - except that the beat England.

Now - in order to play for Ireland you must be entitled to an Irish passport and that means that a parent or grandparent must have been born in Ireland. Many European teams have players who have no connection with the country. The French team that won the world cup in 1998 and the 2000 Euros - many of them weren't born in France and had no connection to the country and others who were born there do not consider themselves French. This stuff has been going on a long-long time and in all sports - hell - the captain of the English cricket team is an Irish guy, born in Dublin who played for Ireland for four years before switching to England.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In 2010 Morgan told the Sunday Times that "From the age of 13, I wanted to play cricket for England. I’ve never felt any shame in saying this is what I wanted to do. And the people at home involved in cricket, they were like, 'Fair play, it’s going to be unbelievable if you make it'. So I’ve never had any shame about this and my father’s never had any shame about it."[29] He has subsequently stated that his mother is English, and that he has held a British passport since birth.[4] At the time, England was one of the ten full members of the International Cricket Council, while Ireland was an associate member; only full member nations can play a full schedule of international cricket, including Test matches. Ireland were subsequently admitted as full members in 2017.

His mother is English so like the players mentioned was entitled to chose which country to play for plus held a Briotish passport since birth.

Joe Root was born in Sheffield.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The money isn't in playing for England, its in playing for Villa.
Nope - his new agent told him that he could ask for a higher wage if he declared for England, that they could add in bonuses for England appearances and he would command a higher transfer fee (and more money) if he was an English international rather than playing for Ireland - it came out in the wash at the time. He was 19 at the time - and five years later he still hasn't played for England. Same thing happened with Rice.

And I think the reason he changed his allegiance from Ireland to England is because one International setup comprises of a young, vibrant squad under a forward-thinking manager, which is coming off the back of a WC semi-final, and looks a reasonable prospect to have some impact in the upcoming Euros and subsequent tournaments.
Again - if this was the case - and all the evidence is that it was not - he still hasn't played for England five years later.

The other International setup is one of ever-dwindling talent, under a dinosaur manager (albeit on his way out), who will continue to struggle to even qualify for any upcoming tournaments, much less make an impact
Misunderstanding of Irish underage football - some of the best young talent in England at the moment are Irish born players - whether they all come through or not, only time will tell. The deadwood will be gone by next summer.

Plus the FAI is an absolute shambles of an organisation, lurching from one financial crisis to the next.
This I can absolutely agree with - and there will be a massive clear-out of the bureaucrats here as well.

Not hard to see why England are a far more enticing prospect to play for than Ireland. And at the end of the day - he IS english.
He is English now - for four years it was his dream to play for Ireland - kissing the shirt and all that jazz. Like I said before - I don't have a problem with Grealish declaring for England - it would be nice if he was honest about the motive though. And there is no guarantee that he will ever appear in an English shirt - 5 years after switching he has all of 7 England U21 caps (and by the way - there is no guarantee that he would be in the Irish team either - now or in the future). I do regard him as a better player than Rice (despite all the hype about Rice - I think he is quite limited as a footballer) - but Grealish still looks like he has a lot of maturing to do. There has been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing about another player as well - Nathan Redmond - nobody in Ireland wanted him to declare, he was regarded as English. Same type of shenanigans have gone on with Patrick Bamford (who has played for both countries at underage). All of this stuff is a legacy of the history of the relationship between the two countries.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But what has all this dull thread de-railing got to do with the January transfer window ?

:shrug:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
In 2010 Morgan told the Sunday Times that "From the age of 13, I wanted to play cricket for England. I’ve never felt any shame in saying this is what I wanted to do. And the people at home involved in cricket, they were like, 'Fair play, it’s going to be unbelievable if you make it'. So I’ve never had any shame about this and my father’s never had any shame about it."[29] He has subsequently stated that his mother is English, and that he has held a British passport since birth.[4] At the time, England was one of the ten full members of the International Cricket Council, while Ireland was an associate member; only full member nations can play a full schedule of international cricket, including Test matches. Ireland were subsequently admitted as full members in 2017.

His mother is English so like the players mentioned was entitled to chose which country to play for plus held a Briotish passport since birth.

Again - I don't have a problem with this -

There is a false perception that the FAI goes around trying to poach players from other countries on dubious grounds - every country does this - in every sport - the Irish passport qualifications are the same for practically every country in Europe. The Olympics is actually getting a bit ridiculous at this stage. Many of the long-distance runners representing European countries are Ethiopian or Kenyan etc and were paid to switch.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
But what has all this dull thread de-railing got to do with the January transfer window ?

:shrug:

Aren't we all on here just to read overlong screeds about the Irish national team and Jeremy Corbyn's infallibility? If you don't like it, go and read a Brighton fan forum.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
True - my fault - I was the one who took a swipe at Grealish - back on topic.

8 days in - nothing of consequence.

You’re new to this aren’t you. It is very rare for anything of consequence to happen in a January window for the Albion. Ulloa is the last one that stands out to me and that was fecking years ago.

If anything happens it’s likely to be at the tail end when we’ll get someone nobody else wanted.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You’re new to this aren’t you. It is very rare for anything of consequence to happen in a January window for the Albion. Ulloa is the last one that stands out to me and that was fecking years ago.

He doesn't care, he doesn't support the Albion.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I suppose if Ireland keep picking players with tenuous connections to Ireland this kind of thing will keep happening to them

I can't play football but I wish the Irish would try and poach me. I so want one of their really useful passports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here