Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January player transfer churn

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think this would be the case if we went up, and if we don't he'll get a contract extension anyway. Also think it very unlikely he'll be leaving in January - very unlikely a prem club will come in for him or that he'd move to another championship club. He is Calde's best mate as well.

He's been immense this season.

He's my PotS, and that's saying something if we whack Kayal, Stephens, Stockdale who are all serious rivals.
On this, Bozza started a popular thread about Kayal's bit of skill on Saturday down by the SW corner flag. Murphy did something pretty outrageous early in the first half too, which (I think) might have been in the lead up to our first goal. But there was a sublime bit of skill from Bruno in the second half near the halfway line. Still, with Bruno, you kind of expect at least one each game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's my PotS, and that's saying something if we whack Kayal, Stephens, Stockdale who are all serious rivals.
On this, Bozza started a popular thread about Kayal's bit of skill on Saturday down by the SW corner flag. Murphy did something pretty outrageous early in the first half too, which (I think) might have been in the lead up to our first goal. But there was a sublime bit of skill from Bruno in the second half near the halfway line. Still, with Bruno, you kind of expect at least one each game.

Spot on - Bruno's pass down the line to Solly........all the Brum fans jeered because they thought he'd hit it into touch when in fact he'd curled it slightly and threaded it through the small gap between their player and the touchline to set Solly up on that long run. It's on Player in the highlights - a thing of beauty it is.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Spot on - Bruno's pass down the line to Solly........all the Brum fans jeered because they thought he'd hit it into touch when in fact he'd curled it slightly and threaded it through the small gap between their player and the touchline to set Solly up on that long run. It's on Player in the highlights - a thing of beauty it is.

Ta. Still have Player highlights to watch :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do top of the league Championship clubs ever sell their star assets in January? We'll be fine. None of our essentials will leave. But if we don't get promotion . . . . .

Palace sold Zaha in January, loaned him back but he wasn't the same player after (until the playoffs......) Huddersfield sold Marcus Stewart when they were top of the league and they sank like a stone, haven't been near promotion since.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Think we all will. Would be contrary to everything the club has said and done this season though so I am hopeful we would do our best to resist. Any offer would have to be enormous...............

It couldnt be big enough to justify risking the potential £100m prize of the Prem by ripping the heart out the team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Chief executive Paul Barber said the club would love to reward Bloom with promotion and told fans they had no reason to fear sales in January.

Barber told The Argus: “We have got no pressure to sell and we have room within our budget to buy."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14116546.Albion_have_funds_to_strengthen_despite___10_4million_loss/

So, a player would really have to want to go.

This in effect would need to be to a team which is more likely to be in the PL than us next season - ruling out other Championship sides and the bottom 1/3rd of the PL.

March to Southampton is possible, I think, but other than that there doesn't seem too much to 'worry' about.

In addition, if someone came in and offered Crofts a 2 year deal, he'd surely consider it, and I'm not sure the club would stand in his way.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Assuming we are in with a decent shout in January, are we really going to sell our best players? I don't think so.

I suggest that we are going to be the predators not the prey in January

looks like bloom is going for it proper this season.....march for around 9 -10 mill with sell-ons , dunk for the same , kayal is more important than both so 15-18 mill for him.....but i hope we don't sell any of them .

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
looks like bloom is going for it proper this season.....march for around 9 -10 mill with sell-ons , dunk for the same , kayal is more important than both so 15-18 mill for him.....but i hope we don't sell any of them .

We won't sell any of them, but 15-18mil for Kayal?! Granted he's had a good last year, but that's an absurd amount of money!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Don't be - I know nothing at all!

They are the standouts though. Rivals tried to buy two of them at the beginning of the season when we had little idea of what was to come. Beyond that, Beram Kayal has been outstanding and Solly March is probably the club's most valuable asset.

It would seem unlikely that no one would come in for any of them and we'd clearly not be up for selling unless money offered reached "too good to turn down" levels and/or equal/better replacement(s) could be found.

That's reassuring, thanks :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chief executive Paul Barber said the club would love to reward Bloom with promotion and told fans they had no reason to fear sales in January.

Barber told The Argus: “We have got no pressure to sell and we have room within our budget to buy."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14116546.Albion_have_funds_to_strengthen_despite___10_4million_loss/

So, a player would really have to want to go.

This in effect would need to be to a team which is more likely to be in the PL than us next season - ruling out other Championship sides and the bottom 1/3rd of the PL.

March to Southampton is possible, I think, but other than that there doesn't seem too much to 'worry' about.

In addition, if someone came in and offered Crofts a 2 year deal, he'd surely consider it, and I'm not sure the club would stand in his way.

Plus the fact Barber is pretty much saying we can go and sign Matt Derbyshire.

:vuvu:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
But you also said that Rotherham wouldn't be willing to let him go on loan and that he would cost around 200k thus making it impossible to bring him in for that month

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But you also said that Rotherham wouldn't be willing to let him go on loan and that he would cost around 200k thus making it impossible to bring him in for that month

Loan to buy in January then not take up the purchase option or if obligatory buy him for £200k then loan out as per COG when everybody fit and he is no longer needed just to circumvent the loan rules.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:tosser:

That was said as a cheap option to get over an expected 1 month but CH has brought in better for longer.
I'd be happy with Derbyshire for back up only and given our current injury rate I think it's worth doing. 200k would be a snip too. Come on Tony, make it happen!!!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We will nto be net sellers this January. I trust TB and CH to sell and get the right players behind that will bolster

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We won't sell any of them, but 15-18mil for Kayal?! Granted he's had a good last year, but that's an absurd amount of money!

We paid 300k right ? Would be almost 100% profit, but potential cost of selling is the 100m we wouldn't get by missing out on promotion, because he is absolutely pivotal to us possibly going up. No brainer, he has to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here