Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January 2024 Window and Squad

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ok - Time to kick this off. We know about Adrian Mazilu and strong rumours about Valentin Barco .
Also RDZ today - "We need i think 3-4 positions" - Not long before we find out. Window opens in 11 days...

Window opens: January 1st,
Window closes: 11pm Thursday, February 1, 2024.

Squad -

Goalkeepers
1.Steele ( HGP ) (2026) - 33
u21 Verbruggen (2028) - 21
2. McGill (HGP) (2025) - 23

Defenders

3.Lamptey (HGP) (2025) - 22
4. Estupinan (2027) - 25
5.Veltman (2025) - 31
6. Webster ( HGP ) ( 2026) - 28
7..Dunk ( HGP ) (2026) - 32
8.van Hecke (2027) - 23
9.Igor Julio (2027) - 25

Midfielders
10.Moder (2025) - 24
11.Gilmour (2026) (HGP) - 22
12. Lallana ( HGP ) (2024) - 35
13.Milner (HGP) (2024 + 1 year option) - 37
14.Groß (2025) - 32
15..Dahoud (2027) - 27
u21. Baleba (2028 + 1) - 19
u21. Hinshelwood (HGP) (2026) - 18

Forwards
U21. Buonanotte (2027) - 18
U21 Ansu Fati (1 Year LOAN) - 21
16. March ( HGP ) (2026 + 1 year option) - 28 - injured
17. Mitoma (2027) - 26
U21. Enciso (2026 + 1 yr option) - 19 -
18. Welbeck ( HGP ) (2024) - 32
19.Joao Pedro (2028)- 22
u21 Adingra (2026) - 21
U21. Ferguson (2028) - 19

u21s in 23/24 are born on or after Jan 1 2002.

Players bought in January 2024:
Players sold in January 2024:
Current Season Long Loans:
Beadle (Oxford Utd), Sima (Rangers), Scherpen (2025/Sturm Graz), Koslowski (2026/Vitesse Arnhem), Sarmiento (2027+1 Year Option/ WBA), Leonard (2025+ 1 yr/Northampton), Rushworth (Swansea), Turns (2025+1/Leyton Orient), Undav (2026/Stuttgart), Weir (Blackpool), Offiah (Hearts), Ayari (2027/Coventry), Moran (2027/Blackburn), Peupion (2024/Cheltenham), Alzate ( Standard Liege)

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If we're going for 3-4 positions, I'm presuming those will be full back (hopefully a couple), a winger, a striker and a central midfielder (as a bonus).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hmmm 3/4 players on top of a fullback. Maybe the cracks are opening due to the failure to replace the players who left pre season. Ball now in TB and PBs court.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If we don't get Barco then I wouldn't be unhappy if Chelsea were willing to let Maatsen come to us, he impressed me in the LC at their place.
We do need a long term right back and surely it's about time we signed an Italian??!!
I can't see a striker coming in as Welbeck is close (I know...) and Fati is due back end of Jan, plus we have to let Ferguson play through this patch of bad form.
We need a CM so either play Baleba or backfill for the season - I posted a thread about 2 months ago for Kalvin Phillips from City on loan, that ship might have sailed but you never know, Newcastle linked but them going out of Europe and the LC might make us more attractive as a 6 month loan destination.

We won't make permanent signings early if we don't have a plan for them, they need to already be strategic targets, but loans could be a lot more flexible.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Can Mazilu play in the FA Cup ? I presume the normal integration route would be a few games in the U21s but it's quite possible he gets some minutes v Stoke if eligible

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Can Mazilu play in the FA Cup ? I presume the normal integration route would be a few games in the U21s but it's quite possible he gets some minutes v Stoke if eligible

Mazilu could play against Stoke if we complete his signing, get him registered with the FA and receive international clearance by mid day Friday. That seems to be pushing it knowing how slowly it normally takes for foreign FAs to sort out their paperwork.

Last season we announced that Buonanotte joined us on Jan 1st. He wasn’t involved with a first team squad until Feb 4th when he made his debut off the bench against Bournemouth.

Granted we have our injury issues this season but I’d be very surprised to see Mazilu make his debut quicker than Facundo did. If he does then he’d have obviously settled very quickly and shown a great understanding of the way we play which will be great news for us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Mazilu could play against Stoke if we complete his signing, get him registered with the FA and receive international clearance by mid day Friday. That seems to be pushing it knowing how slowly it normally takes for foreign FAs to sort out their paperwork.

Last season we announced that Buonanotte joined us on Jan 1st. He wasn’t involved with a first team squad until Feb 4th when he made his debut off the bench against Bournemouth.

Granted we have our injury issues this season but I’d be very surprised to see Mazilu make his debut quicker than Facundo did. If he does then he’d have obviously settled very quickly and shown a great understanding of the way we play which will be great news for us.
Re: Buonanotte - I think you are forgetting he was called up by Argentina for their U-20 squad for the 2023 South American U-20 Championships in Colombia in January. He came on as a sub in their opening match against Paraguay on January 21 but suffered a nasty heavy fall and subsequently returned to Albion.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We need 2 defenders, preferably fullbacks , we 2 short at the beginning of the season,
we need at least 2 cm players to replace those who have left , despite signing Dahoud who does not look up to it physically and CB who is one for the future we are still short of numbers in that position.
maybe a replacement for Solly , who won’t play again this season

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have we SINGED anyone yet?

:rant:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
LB, RB, possibly CM and anyone else would be depth. We already signed the young Romanian winger for deep squad depth and development.

One of the 3 could be a loan, but figure we need 2 permanent signings and nobody first team squad outgoing.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
There is a possibility of turning to the long list of players out on loan to fill gaps. Top of this category is Ecuador winger Jeremy Sarmiento. There is a recall option in his season-long loan to Championship side West Brom.

Per Andy naylor.

I think we should be getting a left back, right back, defensive midfielder, and a right winger.
If we get a DM, then loan out baleba. If we get a right back then sell lamptey/not include him in Europa squad list.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We need 2 defenders, preferably fullbacks , we 2 short at the beginning of the season,
we need at least 2 cm players to replace those who have left , despite signing Dahoud who does not look up to it physically and CB who is one for the future we are still short of numbers in that position.
maybe a replacement for Solly , who won’t play again this season
We need more height than that I feel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here