[Albion] Jan Mlakar- Slovenia U21 striker reportedly SINGING

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sadly on the face of it to me it seems a retrograde step
Agreed. It generally seems that a loan abroad indicates they're not coming back. Sold or released at the end if the loan, but hopefully still with a career in football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Scored 10 goals in his last 14 games in the Slovenian league and ended up as the top scorer (total 14 goals).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Scored 10 goals in his last 14 games in the Slovenian league and ended up as the top scorer (total 14 goals).

So now he'll be back at Brighton for pre-season while we decide what to do with him for the last year of his contract. 10 goals in 14 looks good, but it was for a team that was winning a league which makes the SPL look positively competitive.
My betting the best outcome will be a loan-to-buy deal - back to Maribor again? He obviously suits them very well.
He had two terrible loans (one of them was wrecked by the Covid outbreak) to the Championship in 2019-20, which didn't help - he hardly played (7 appearances, including subs, all season, 0 goals).
Maybe he'll do enough in pre-season for the club to consider a one year extension and give him another shot at EFL football, maybe League 1, but I'd be surprised.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So now he'll be back at Brighton for pre-season while we decide what to do with him for the last year of his contract. 10 goals in 14 looks good, but it was for a team that was winning a league which makes the SPL look positively competitive.
My betting the best outcome will be a loan-to-buy deal - back to Maribor again? He obviously suits them very well.
He had two terrible loans (one of them was wrecked by the Covid outbreak) to the Championship in 2019-20, which didn't help - he hardly played (7 appearances, including subs, all season, 0 goals).
Maybe he'll do enough in pre-season for the club to consider a one year extension and give him another shot at EFL football, maybe League 1, but I'd be surprised.

I very much doubt he will break into the first team squad, but I think his good season in Slovenia will allow him to have another go in England (or maybe more likely Scotland), maybe a loan to Hibernian.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I very much doubt he will break into the first team squad, but I think his good season in Slovenia will allow him to have another go in England (or maybe more likely Scotland), maybe a loan to Hibernian.

I thought the NSC collective wisdom was that the striker position at Hibs next season was reserved for Connolly! :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought the NSC collective wisdom was that the striker position at Hibs next season was reserved for Connolly! :)

Think Aaron is more likely to play in the Championship. Some say they dont think a Championship club would want him, but plenty wanted Gyökeres with 0 PL appearances, so why wouldnt someone want Connolly with close to 50? Think he is ready for Championship level without having to go through Scotland first.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think Aaron is more likely to play in the Championship. Some say they dont think a Championship club would want him, but plenty wanted Gyökeres with 0 PL appearances, so why wouldn't someone want Connolly with close to 50? Think he is ready for Championship level without having to go through Scotland first.
We'll see. This is a Mlakar thread - but as far as AC is concerned, the level he goes on loan to doesn't matter, so long as he can get his goal-scoring mojo back!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If there’s a one year extension option I’d be surprised if we don’t take it to have a look. Mainly due to the previous covid disruption. Agree a British loan if the lad wants to stay here would be best all round. Not sure he’s suit Belgium. A.C. To Champ and him to Hibs would be my best guess.

However if there’s no optional extension I suspect our best chance is to get a sell on % and ship him out this summer back home. In 3 years when he moves to Italy for 20M Euros we’d want a % :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports