Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie ward gassing after 30 secs on the pads with froch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Different sport but amongst the players at Sussex County Cricket Club they average around the 23 minute mark for a 5k with a few threatening sub 20.

Not going to argue with you about cricketers. SOME of them have lamentable fitness levels, although in their defence, in contrast to a lot of sports they have a lot of technical skills to work on in addition to fitness work.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Would you have any tips for hitting that level of fitness without padwork? I'm not allowed to spar any more cos of me job.

Sparring is not something that will give you a high level of fittness. Compared to padwork/body belt, sparring is fairly easy as it is generally kept light. You tend to hold back on your punches. We only spar once we are fit to get our sharpness and tactics right for the fight.

Hitting a bag is good, but you generally know when to nick a breather on that. A method that my coach uses to get myself and others fit is the bar/bag. Basically a bar (think of those things gymnasts walk on) set up which you'll stand next to with both gloves on the bar, using that bar to jump over back and forth for 1 minute. then the bag for 1 minute then another minute on the bar before a 1 minute rest. Killer. At this stage of my career i'm boxing 6 rounders so i'll make sure i can do 8 on that before the fight.

Personally, when training for a fight i run 3 or 4 miles first thing in the morning nearly every day, then (Monday - Friday) get to the gym at 10am for 3 hours of hard training (Body belt, bar/bag, pads, skipping, circuits. etc. ) and finish most sessions with a quick but intense weight programme (this is only because of my style, not all boxers will do weights) Once i start sparring this will be in the afternoon just 2 or 3 times a week increasing the rounds as the fight gets closer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here