Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy gets International Call Up

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What is the story with Ross McCormack and the Scotland squad? Better than every other player in the squad announced today in my opinion. The man must be a drick.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is the story with Ross McCormack and the Scotland squad? Better than every other player in the squad announced today in my opinion. The man must be a drick.

Yet gets picked behind Tony "released by Charlton Athletic" Watt.

Bizarre.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thrilled for WJM, by the way. I was thinking a couple of weeks ago that he must be better than much of what's on offer in the MTL, and as a bonus for them, is actually Scottish, unlike Liam Bridcutt and a few other candidates in the squad. I hope he's chuffed to bits, and it gives him another boost (he strikes me as more of a confidence player than most).

Plenty of grumblings amongst the tartan tinkerers that Greer (aged 35) and Tony Watt are in, but the likes of Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes are out. Greer might be a tad fortunate, given his lack of recent game time, I admit that.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Take a bow son. Well deserved first call up. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Scotland squad to face Denmark

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff)

Defenders: Liam Cooper (Leeds), Gordon Greer (Brighton), Grant Hanley (Blackburn), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Norwich)

Midfielders: Liam Bridcutt (Leeds), Scott Brown (Celtic), Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest), James Forrest (Celtic), John McGinn (Hibernian), Jamie Murphy (Brighton), Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth), Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Marseille), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby)

Two Brighton players in the same squad (and Liam Bridcutt)

Sky Sports News

Deserved call-up, he has put in some really impressive displays of late after a bit of an underwhelming start. Good luck to him.

Oh, and just the six English-born players in their squad this time :lolol: The players on the fringe of the national team that are actually Scottish must be livid at being left out in favour of some English guy that knows he will never be good enough to play for England but is eligible to play for Scotland because his great granddad ate some shortbread once.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

With all due respect, I would dispute that Ross mc Cormack is better than what's in the squad. Like Jamie Murphy, Ross is an Ex Motherwell player so I seen a lot of him in his younger days while he was at Motherwell and very few Motherwell players get capped for Scotland.

Scotland has had very few really individually really really talented players, The Exception being James mc Fadden and even he didn't get capped until he left Motherwell I don't think. Perhaps one or two but no more than that.

Ross is good on the ball and decent finisher but because Scotland don't have great individuals, they have to be a collective group and team effort to succeed. Ross McCormack doesn't fit in to that category so I am not surprised he doesn't get capped for Scotland. His work rate defensively is non existent and I think the Manager factors that in when deciding whether Ross get selected or not. He would be a luxury player that you would select if you had more talented individuals in the team along side him but in my opinion that squad can not afford to carry a player whose work rate is less than 50% in a typical match

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ross is good on the ball and decent finisher but because Scotland don't have great individuals, they have to be a collective group and team effort to succeed.

Yes, football is a team game and likes of Rhodes & McCormack have been accused of a lack of work ethic etc. But more importantly, football is about goals; £30m+ has been spent on Rhodes & McCormack over the years because they get goals - both have amongst the best Championship scoring records you can find (a much tougher league than the SPL). As the only home nation not to be performing in this summer's Euros, maybe Scotland need to review their selection policy and ensure they are doing everything they can to score.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes, football is a team game and likes of Rhodes & McCormack have been accused of a lack of work ethic etc. But more importantly, football is about goals; £30m+ has been spent on Rhodes & McCormack over the years because they get goals - both have amongst the best Championship scoring records you can find (a much tougher league than the SPL). As the only home nation not to be performing in this summer's Euros, maybe Scotland need to review their selection policy and ensure they are doing everything they can to score.

I think before they do anything else they need to stop selecting Russell Martin. Therein lies the biggest problem

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Great news for Murphy, has proved me wrong thought at the start of the season he was lazy and off the pace. Has turned into a valuable asset.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Great news for Murphy, has proved me wrong thought at the start of the season he was lazy and off the pace. Has turned into a valuable asset.

Lazy??? He was never that even at the start. He's up and down like most wingers are and at the start he worked hard to adjust to the pace of the league, but you could always count on him working hard.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
looks like im going to have supporting the porridge this time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here