Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Wilson

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
To be fair CH did say he expected business to be done late in the window.

I get the feeling we may well be waiting for the Prem squads to go in before we have any closure on the striker front, I'm hopeful but realistic. Many other clubs will be trying to snap up similar options in the closing days of this window, I'm just praying we don't get into another last minute panic Dobbie scenario.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Yup - whether it was 60, 70 or 80% I don't know, but he went down with something and never fully recovered before the end of the season.

If you look at the post-Derby interviews after the last home match, he looked knackered with dark circles under his eyes ( as opposed to symmetrical black eyes).

A lot of young athletes have setbacks and diagnosis is difficult. He turned 20 during in his loan stay here and anyone trying to impress his home club would try and keep going. It's not like he came off against Wolves.

Here's another relevant example, and possible cautionary tale - Max Whitlock, the Olympic GB gymnast:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/34707952

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'd be mortified if the club see the answer to our striker deficiency to be James Wilson.

Same here.

I don't want him anywhere near our club again.,

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I get the feeling we may well be waiting for the Prem squads to go in before we have any closure on the striker front, I'm hopeful but realistic. Many other clubs will be trying to snap up similar options in the closing days of this window, I'm just praying we don't get into another last minute panic Dobbie scenario.

I'm pretty sure the EPL squads don't get finalised until after the window closes but I'm sure you're right that it will be last minute so my money would be on most likely a fringe premier league striker. Wilson would have to be a reasonable bet as we tend to be big on see before you buy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wilson certainly had something about him when he first played for us (and something around him on another couple of occasions :sick:), but he is only young and will have learnt a lot from last season.

He is also different to our other three strikers and could compliment each of them. So it's a yes from me :thumbsup:

Indeed he could.

He might say 'Great penalty Tomer', 'Nice run Balders' or maybe even 'Hellova header Muzza'.

Or maybe you meant 'complement' ?:)

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When do the Premier clubs announce their 25 man squad?

Its always 24 or 48 hours after the transfer window shuts. There won't be any transfer business this season (loans, sales) after the 25 man squads are submitted.
No more loan windows...
This partly explains why Man Utd, for example , are having a clear out in their squads (ie: Wilson) now and not waiting until Sept, Oct etc for loans.
All loans this season have to be conducted either in the Jan or Summer transfer window.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Its always 24 or 48 hours after the transfer window shuts. There won't be any transfer business this season (loans, sales) after the 25 man squads are submitted.
No more loan windows...
This partly explains why Man Utd, for example , are having a clear out in their squads (ie: Wilson) now and not waiting until Sept, Oct etc for loans.
All loans this season have to be conducted either in the Jan or Summer transfer window.

I understand what the new loan rules are trying to achieve but there's going to be a lot of players left in limbo having not made the 25 man squads; that can't be good for the game surely.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Did the club actually say they were going to fork out 'millions' (how many?) on a striker....have the club actually indicated they are interested in bringing Wilson back? Just asking.

I'm sure there was a quote from Hughton in the Argus with him not ruling out breaking our transfer record on a striker. This was before Murray signed

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure there was a quote from Hughton in the Argus with him not ruling out breaking our transfer record on a striker. This was before Murray signed

True, but no official mention of bringing James W back...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I understand what the new loan rules are trying to achieve but there's going to be a lot of players left in limbo having not made the 25 man squads; that can't be good for the game surely.

Could be a few leaving with contracts settled, making them free agents.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Looks like Birmingham in for Wilson

83ce15d852a7cc2af237b21be7030121.png

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I was and am a big Wilson fan and though I absolutely think he could do us a job scoring 10 goals+ this year.
But we can do better. We can afford someone proven and someone we can have confidence will play 30+ games without being sick on the pitch and then confined to 10-15 minute bursts for months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was and am a big Wilson fan and though I absolutely think he could do us a job scoring 10 goals+ this year.
But we can do better. We can afford someone proven and someone we can have confidence will play 30+ games without being sick on the pitch and then confined to 10-15 minute bursts for months.

I'd imagine we're in an excellent position to take Wilson if CH wants to - if we don't, I'd think that's down to CH thinking we can do better. He's had plenty of time to look at him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here