Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] *** James Webb Space Telescope ***

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The JWST has identified water vapour on another planet. Stunning. As we seek a new habitable home for Boris Johnson, this sort of data could be very useful!

454266064f1c4a39a518162b38a57ac0.jpg

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Age of the universe is pretty much established as approximately 13.8 billion years old. James Webb telescope is reported as being able to see 13 billion years into the past. Wonder what James Webb 2.0 would see if it could see, say, 14 or 15 billion years into the past? Ulloa penalty maybe?

Too far gone for that, I'm afraid. With our current understanding, the furthest back we could see is about 370,000 years after the Big Bang, when recombination happened. Before then, the Universe was just a hot plasma that was opaque to EM radiation, so the mean free path between particles was so small, photons just couldn't escape. As a result of the recombination, we get the cosmic microwave background.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Too far gone for that, I'm afraid. With our current understanding, the furthest back we could see is about 370,000 years after the Big Bang, when recombination happened. Before then, the Universe was just a hot plasma that was opaque to EM radiation, so the mean free path between particles was so small, photons just couldn't escape. As a result of the recombination, we get the cosmic microwave background.

So where the bloody hell is Ulloa's penalty?!

Dec 29, 2011
Could we in theory see the big bang? If so, could we in theory see even further back than that? Or would that just cause the universe to implode?

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Yet through all the technical innovation and lofty science, it still managed a cheeky selfie

james-webb-space-telescope-nasa-photo-3.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1547010999890640896[/tweet]

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Is it just me that thinks that the processing of this image had gone beyond what’s needed and dived into Walt Disney world. I’m sorry (and I know nothing) but I just don’t believe the “twinkle twinkle little star” thingy in the middle. Either the camera’s got some grease on it or someone’s got carried away with photoshop.

Although very impressive, I was disappointed when I learned that the colours are synthetic/artificial and that NASA add the colour for us using filters.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Could we in theory see the big bang? If so, could we in theory see even further back than that? Or would that just cause the universe to implode?

I have a recollection of Professor/D:Ream keyboard player Brian Cox saying that we can already see the big bang.

A podcast a while ago but i thought it was interesting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it just me that thinks that the processing of this image had gone beyond what’s needed and dived into Walt Disney world. I’m sorry (and I know nothing) but I just don’t believe the “twinkle twinkle little star” thingy in the middle. Either the camera’s got some grease on it or someone’s got carried away with photoshop.

#nasalies #flatgalaxies

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Although very impressive, I was disappointed when I learned that the colours are synthetic/artificial and that NASA add the colour for us using filters.

Hubble and the JW only record photos in b&w. The JW is only detecting infrared, so both sets of images have always been coloured by NASA but mostly done via the recorded wavelengths so not entirely artificial but definitely some creative licence involved. I’m not sure disappointed is the right word given the light we are seeing is billions of years old and shed much what is the human colour spectrum hence Hubble can’t see what the JW is seeing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Brian May's take on this telescope malarkey. Our favourite rock astronomer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here