Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Tilley only getting on for the last few seconds of stoppage time. What's the point?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
At this moment in time, I'm fairly pro-Hughton, as he hasn't had chance to form his own team, but with that substitution he has gone down a lot in my estimation.
I think you are overreacting. We are all disappointed and frustrated but this is a very trivial issue. There are obvious pros and cons to playing a 16 year old who isn't ready yet - Hughton's approach is entirely justifiable.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As I posted in the match thread:

If you're not going to start Tilley, it would be risky to bring him on when it's 0-0. If we lose with him starting, it's the whole team. If it's a tight 0-0, he comes on and we lose then what happens to him? He becomes the target. It was a nothing game we got a point from and look how much people are moaning over the choice of substitutions. There would be people who would take that as a strike against Tilley, and from his second appearance, which you'd expect to be more substantial, he'd be on the back foot. Some fans would be waiting for him to make a mistake. If he comes on and turns the game around people will forget how much of a nothing game it was and build him up to legend status, and his second appearance will be attempting to live up to unrealistic expectations (which I believe is a part of the problem with JFC).

I remember Poyet, when discussing the downside of the 5 man bench, mentioning how beneficial it can be for a young player just to be a part of the match day experience even if he doesn't get to play. Bringing Tilley along for the day will have done a lot more for him than I think people are acknowledging, and getting on the field, albeit for a minute, will have been a big plus for him in his development.

Of course, that's only as a substitute as the game goes along at 0-0. I imagine if we were winning, or losing, he may have had more time, but I don't know if I can offer much of an explanation as to why we didn't start with him.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Your not alone!!!!

Appalling that he should get 5 seconds on the pitch.......................WTF was the point.

And what was the point of only taking 1 DS lad up there. FFS take a few and give them all an opportunity in some way.............

All of this
The excitement of a new kid in the team has all evaporated with this ridiculous decision
Chuck him on for 30 minutes

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you are overreacting. We are all disappointed and frustrated but this is a very trivial issue. There are obvious pros and cons to playing a 16 year old who isn't ready yet - Hughton's approach is entirely justifiable.

I really don't think I am for the reasons given. Absolutely agree that it's correct for him to be with the squad, but the correct thing to do IMO, in what is a meaningless game, is to give him 10-15 mins.

What has been achieved today by bringing him on for 10 secs and him not getting a touch?

Surely, when only less than a minute remaining, it would have better than to leave him observing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He's 16 for christ's sake, he's there for the experience more than anything as an example to both himself and others in the Development Squad that if you work hard and apply yourself the manager will consider your inclusion into a match day squad. He's had a little taster and the idea will be to make him hungrier to succeed. He's not there as a tactical alternative to our goal shy 'strikers'.

When the radio commentary is giving all the positive reasons to get him on the pitch for half an hour it is hard to ignore. It would have lifted the travelling fans and who knows, these moments make heroes. 5 seconds is a windup for the lad and taking the piss out of him. He shouldn’t have even bothered putting him on at all if today was just about mixing with the first team. What happened today certainly wouldn't make him hungrier than what he already is.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Can understand wanting to give him a short taste but why 3 seconds? Why not the 4 mins injury at least, let him have a touch ffs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He'll never get a chance then will he as we'll never be in the situation where we can risk him as it looks like we'll never score again.

There will be pre-season games. There will be games where we're comfortably winning, there will be games we're comfortably losing. There will be games where he starts, there will be cup games we're not interested in v lower division teams, there will be plenty of ways to ease him into the side while protecting him, there may be a time when the risk is worth taking.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
There will be pre-season games. There will be games where we're comfortably winning, there will be games we're comfortably losing. There will be games where he starts, there will be cup games we're not interested in v lower division teams, there will be plenty of ways to ease him into the side while protecting him, there may be a time when the risk is worth taking.

Pre-season means jack shit. He would be better having real experience in a full staduim like today against top quality opposition instead of teams like Worthing and some tin pot Spanish division 4 team.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As I posted in the match thread:

If he's considered good enough to be named a sub, then he should be good enough to get at least 20 minutes in a game that means nothing to both sides! Too much mollycoddling. If he is going to be a star then he will flourish. If he has a weak mental attitude then flush him out now!

Lets get tough!

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
The fourth official even told Hughton it's not worth bringing him on as the ref will blow but the master technician brought Tilley on anyway and the Ref blew for full time :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here