Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James O'Brien on LBC

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Perhaps you prefer the " balanced " views of the egregious Nick Ferrari. James Obrien is clearly much more intelligent and better informed than the average LBC listener and copes with the difference pretty well. Very difficult not to be patronising to many of them

Absolutely not. Ferrari relentlessly pursues an agenda with which I do not agree. I was simply remarking that O'Brien does the same thing although with a different political view. Inevitably this will seem more palatable if one shares his view.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Anyone else listen to this? I've only come to it recently, and rarely get a chance to dip in as I'm invariably working when it's on between 10 and 1. But for a phone-in show, it's intelligent and insightful, and skilfully marshalled by the host.

I don't like the bloke. he is arrogant bolshie and rude and is incapable of accepting any alternative view other than his own. extremely witty but lacks the ability to compromise..

He reminds me a lot of that other cocky marxist git David Aaronovitch, ...the parallels of their ideology and that of the nazi party are not much different, they just go under a more acceptable name. some see through it and some don't...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Three things:
-- he hasn't said that all leave voters are racist, I doubt he'd even say that even many leave voters are racist, but would probably say that some are; he's also said that UKIP has an above-average number of racists within their ranks -- which seems like a pretty accurate assessment. You of course are free to post direct quotations where he'd say such things
-- the problem with the working class (whatever that is) is that it doesn't seem too proficient at identifying its interests, let alone acting on them
-- there is no such thing as an objective commentator; someone on here compared O'Brien to Paxman, who is a Tory

I was just sharing something I heard him say. If you disbelieve me without proof that's up to you. I was just responding to points made here about O'Brien being a balanced commentator.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think he's balanced, but he is a lot more intelligent than many. In the same way George Galloway isn't balanced, but he knows more about the Middle East than most commentators put together.

If you can find equally intelligent and ideologically opposed radio presenters, I'm sure a lot of radio listeners don't mind having them both on. Can be more interesting than some of the bland, neutral BBC stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was just sharing something I heard him say. If you disbelieve me without proof that's up to you. I was just responding to points made here about O'Brien being a balanced commentator.

I'm not choosing to disbelieve you, just making the point that he uses his language more carefully than many on here are indicating. And as my last point indicates, I'm fully with you that he isn't a balanced commentator. Has anyone really said that he is though?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Cheers, always good to see clinching proof of an argument....
It's not really as he puts people on the spot and uncontrolled migration is one for starters and also The fisheries etc etc etc....You can't get anything from Brussels as David Cameron is proof of that.

This nob head is so far left he makes Jeremy corbyn look like a right winger....He doesn't live in our world and incredibly he tries to make out he's on level par with people on the lower spectrum.

He's correct on globalisation and many more things but way out of touch on many things that affect the working classes in our society.He tends to base things on facts which is always good but he has zero backbone and sees nothing positive about leaving the eu.
I can't quiet figure out if he's a preacher or ridiculously naive as every single day it's like he's preaching and manipulating with his spoilt childish comments.

He loves the EU,Uncontrolled migration and humanity and bases the EU only by the £'s and economy.He hates the sovereignty comments and will completely disregard anything patriotic as he like most super lefties is anti British wether you like it or not.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I don't think he's balanced, but he is a lot more intelligent than many. In the same way George Galloway isn't balanced, but he knows more about the Middle East than most commentators put together.

If you can find equally intelligent and ideologically opposed radio presenters, I'm sure a lot of radio listeners don't mind having them both on. Can be more interesting than some of the bland, neutral BBC stuff.
I'm 100% behind you on Galloway as without doubt this man is remarkably clued up in his field , but as regards O'brien don't let wit get in the way of intelligence, nothing would suggest to me that the bloke is anywhere near on par as say with someone like Galloway, O'brien is just another one who's incredibly clever at convincing the public otherwise yet in reality that's just about as far as his intelligence stretches. .

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
It's not really as he puts people on the spot and uncontrolled migration is one for starters and also The fisheries etc etc etc....You can't get anything from Brussels as David Cameron is proof of that.

This nob head is so far left he makes Jeremy corbyn look like a right winger....He doesn't live in our world and incredibly he tries to make out he's on level par with people on the lower spectrum.

He's correct on globalisation and many more things but way out of touch on many things that affect the working classes in our society.He tends to base things on facts which is always good but he has zero backbone and sees nothing positive about leaving the eu.
I can't quiet figure out if he's a preacher or ridiculously naive as every single day it's like he's preaching and manipulating with his spoilt childish comments.

He loves the EU,Uncontrolled migration and humanity and bases the EU only by the £'s and economy.He hates the sovereignty comments and will completely disregard anything patriotic as he like most super lefties is anti British wether you like it or not.
:clap2: Couldn't of put it better.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not choosing to disbelieve you, just making the point that he uses his language more carefully than many on here are indicating. And as my last point indicates, I'm fully with you that he isn't a balanced commentator. Has anyone really said that he is though?

Perhaps I misinterpreted some of the posts about 'truth' and 'honesty'. I think that's what grates ie his solemn presentation of his view as truth and the flow of insults about anyone who disagrees. In one show he respectfully interviewed a Leave politician from the Left and seemed to accept the existence of a left wing argument against EU membership.
He then went on to take calls and almost immediately was saying that Leave voters were too stupid to understand the issues.
Other LBC presenters have a similar approach. Along with Sheila Fogherty he has been extremely insulting about and to people who voted Leave. On the bright side though I enjoy the Mystery hour so know what time to tune in if I can.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Apologies, my post was a poor attempt at sarcasm egarding the you tube video. It doesn't really
show us anything as you point out.
I disagree with where O'Brien sits on the political spectrum and certainly do not think he is to the left of JC. More of a liberal I reckon.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Perhaps I misinterpreted some of the posts about 'truth' and 'honesty'. I think that's what grates ie his solemn presentation of his view as truth and the flow of insults about anyone who disagrees. In one show he respectfully interviewed a Leave politician from the Left and seemed to accept the existence of a left wing argument against EU membership.
He then went on to take calls and almost immediately was saying that Leave voters were too stupid to understand the issues.
Other LBC presenters have a similar approach. Along with Sheila Fogherty he has been extremely insulting about and to people who voted Leave. On the bright side though I enjoy the Mystery hour so know what time to tune in if I can.

As I've indicated earlier, I'm relatively new to him and don't get many opportunities to listen to him. The Mystery Hour does also indicate that he can be flexible in his views. There are plenty of Remain voters that don't understand all the issues -- I'm guilty on both counts there. But there are certain things that are true (e.g., maths) and others that constitute knowledge (e.g. the science of climate change, broad historical events and developments, etc), while still others belong in the domain of opinion (e.g. whether Brexit is positive for the UK).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here