[Albion] James Milner

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm OK with this one year extension. I think people under-estimate the importance of having experience and a proven winner in the squad, and we lose a chunk of that with Lallana leaving.

The football knowledge he brings to this club is immeasurable, I expect him to be motivated after missing so much of this season. And he provides cover for central midfield, a position we are light on quality and Premier League nous.
He also speaks Spanish, which I’m sure is useful given the number of young South Americans in the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think some people overestimate it. If they aren‘t fit to play they are just expensive cheerleaders.
And besides, you don’t need to strategise having older players around. It generally happens naturally.
Plus Albion have a large collection of experienced heads, without Milner.
Lallana’s contract extension last year was a case in point.
Even if Milner is now injury-free, he is (sadly) just too slow at this level.
You need fit game changers on the pitch complemented by a decent coaching set up.
Our recruitment policy is based upon signing talent young and relatively cheap, developing and then selling that talent on for big bucks. Those players stand a better chance of developing into top talent if they have not just any old heads but THE most experienced, winning players to guide them. They do not come more experienced than Milner.

If Milner gives the likes of Hinshelwood, Gilmour, Buonanotte, Enciso, Barco that helping hand then his £2.5 mill in wages will be a drop in the ocean if he helps develop another £100 million of talent. We can't afford to buy gamechangers, we have to develop them and part of development is knowing how to act and prepare like a pro.

Clearly, De Zerbi is placing a value on what Milner brings to the squad. If you want to see what a talented squad without wise guidance is like then look no further than the Chelsea side of recent 2 seasons. Cole Palmer is papering over the cracks there, they are light years away from City and Arsenal.

I agree that Milner has to be able to perform, but I still think if he can get fit he could give us useful service off the bench in 2024/25.

I look forward to seeing how things pan out.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Our recruitment policy is based upon signing talent young and relatively cheap, developing and then selling that talent on for big bucks. Those players stand a better chance of developing into top talent if they have not just any old heads but THE most experienced, winning players to guide them. They do not come more experienced than Milner.

If Milner gives the likes of Hinshelwood, Gilmour, Buonanotte, Enciso, Barco that helping hand then his £2.5 mill in wages will be a drop in the ocean if he helps develop another £100 million of talent. We can't afford to buy gamechangers, we have to develop them and part of development is knowing how to act and prepare like a pro.

Clearly, De Zerbi is placing a value on what Milner brings to the squad. If you want to see what a talented squad without wise guidance is like then look no further than the Chelsea side of recent 2 seasons. Cole Palmer is papering over the cracks there, they are light years away from City and Arsenal.

I agree that Milner has to be able to perform, but I still think if he can get fit he could give us useful service off the bench in 2024/25.

This is exactly right. It is a crucial part of our transfer policy to have older pros to help guide all the young talent we have. The strategy doesn’t work without it. So if fit I have absolutely no issue with Milner being part of the squad. But who knows how available he will be.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

What’s wrong with coaches having that role, or mentors, or club ambassadors (at a fraction of the cost)?
Re Milner next season. I want to believe you as believe it or not I bloody love James Milner. But he’s shot. He’s ridiculously slow.
I would take him as a coach in a heartbeat but I don’t think he should be on the playing staff. if he can’t influence these younger players in the area that matters Most, he becomes an expensive mentor.

Oh well not too bothered, I guess inevitable given Lallana opted out. Those two new doctors gonna have a baptism of fire

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we can assume that the club are expecting an improvement on his availability. They know that better than us of course.

His first season was disappointing but th youth on his side perhaps the powers that be are expecting more next season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is exactly right. It is a crucial part of our transfer policy to have older pros to help guide all the young talent we have. The strategy doesn’t work without it. So if fit I have absolutely no issue with Milner being part of the squad. But who knows how available he will be.
Dunk, gross, veltman, webby, solly, welbeck

We have enough mentors in our first team squad without adding players too old and too crocked to contribute on the pitch

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not overly excited about or against it. His experience is very important and coming on for the last 10/15 minutes of games he could be very useful like Lallana was a few times this season.

Ultimately though for those who are keen for De Zerbi to stay (I’m on the fence), surely this is a good thing? Him and Welbeck staying would have been very important to him I would have imagined.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In surprised so many of our fans are surprised by this. Our model is based on having older model pros around the first team who can do a job and set an example to the youngsters. With Lallana leaving resigning Milner seemed an absolute certainty. Perplexing how many don’t understand our model yet.
Is it possible to understand but not agree? Have you thought of that instead of binary perspectives?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Not overly excited about or against it. His experience is very important and coming on for the last 10/15 minutes of games he could be very useful like Lallana was a few times this season.

Ultimately though for those who are keen for De Zerbi to stay (I’m on the fence), surely this is a good thing? Him and Welbeck staying would have been very important to him I would have imagined.
I am one of these, RDZ had a shit of a year and will have learned from it. When Milner is fit he is an absolute workhorse. If RDZ stays then I think we are in for a great season, not forgetting of course we have just had one, good run in both FA and Europa Cups and with a good chance of finishing 10th or above in the PL, what's not to like. My only disappointment I would have liked to see Lallana move across to the coaching team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This, nailed it.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I trust in Roberto's view. The club policy is to bring young players through early and you do need older heads around. But happy to say goodbye to Lallana at 90k a week. He was slightly taking the p because he couldn't last longer than 20 minutes on the pitch. So he did the right thing and leave.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It really is more important, who we sign this season, rather than who renews.

No real problem with Milner staying, as long as there is some pace brought into the squad.

We were way too slow all over the park last season.
Obviously Milner adds to that issue.

Hopefully he's just here to come on for the last 20-30mins to see out winning positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports