Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Collins

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Please don't put too much faith in 1 rogue mirror report about not being able to sign free agents. The mirror has already debunked it with another article.

We can sign free agents until August 31st.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Please don't put too much faith in 1 rogue mirror report about not being able to sign free agents. The mirror has already debunked it with another article.

We can sign free agents until August 31st.
Only if we have no senior players who could be added to the squad to make up the 25 - and I think both Barclay and Ahannach (sp?) qualify as such.

As for the unclear ruling on whether PL clubs can sign free agents at all, I'll wait and see if anybody actually does (nobody has yet).

Edit: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?354449-25-man-squad&p=8576467&viewfull=1#post8576467
Normann as well then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only if we have no senior players who could be added to the squad to make up the 25 - and I think both Barclay and Ahannach (sp?) qualify as such.

As for the unclear ruling on whether PL clubs can sign free agents at all, I'll wait and see if anybody actually does (nobody has yet).

Edit: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?354449-25-man-squad&p=8576467&viewfull=1#post8576467
Normann as well then.
With James Collins ( HGP) the only relevant player on the books is Ben Barclay ( HGP).

Who is to say he definitely won't go out on loan ? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If they consider that Barclay isnt ready the most obvious answer is send him out on loan and create the vacancy to bring in Collins an experienced CB who will most likely never play, but is emergency cover if needed, as we did previously with Forren. The question is who would fill the role best Barclay or Collins?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With James Collins ( HGP) the only relevant player on the books is Ben Barclay ( HGP).

Who is to say he definitely won't go out on loan ? ???
Because we can't include Normann and Ahannach because they're not HGPs? Suppose so - if The Mirror article was wrong. I'm still waiting for a PL team to sign up a free agent in this post-window 'window' though.

Anyway, I'm in the 'rather use White and give a youngster a chance' category. After all, IIRC Gary Stephens was even younger when chucked in at CB at this level - and that didn't turn out too bad!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because we can't include Normann and Ahannach because they're not HGPs? Suppose so - if The Mirror article was wrong. I'm still waiting for a PL team to sign up a free agent in this post-window 'window'.

Anyway, I'm in the 'rather use White and give a youngster a chance' category. After all, IIRC Gary Stephens was even younger when chucked in at CB at this level - and that didn't turn out too bad!

If that rogue mirror article was actually right, it means that the subsequent mirror article disagreeing and explicitly stating free agent signings are possible in the PL was wrong ?

The latest article :

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-free-agents-your-club-13120420

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm more than happy for White to be the 4th. It's a sign of quality in the U-23's and the academy and exposing such players to a matchday squad is ideal for player development. The youngsters have to believe if they are good enough they will get their chance at Brighton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If that rogue mirror article was actually right, it means that the subsequent mirror article disagreeing and explicitly stating free agent signings are possible in the PL was wrong ?

The latest article :

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-free-agents-your-club-13120420

Hadn't seen that article, but no, it's probably not wrong! James Collins conspicuous by his absence on that list I notice! Don't fancy anyone on that list, tbh - most of them seem to be a bit of a knob in one way or another (as well as over the hill), and will probably have massive wage and signing on fee demands (even though their current income is nil).

Do you think we will sign a free agent - Collins or otherwise - in this next week?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO White would be the natural back up to Balogun and Duffy while Dunk is out and Collins would be on the bench. The problem is the club, somewhat understandably, are very shy with their injury information. and expected time out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He'll be 22 in October, so 21 now. Still young enough not to have to be named in the squad though.

Club site , Wiki, transfermarket, soccerbase etc all say that White was born in 1997 so 21 in October Not really important as still young enough to not be named in the 25 man squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hadn't seen that article, but no, it's probably not wrong! James Collins conspicuous by his absence on that list I notice! Don't fancy anyone on that list, tbh - most of them seem to be a bit of a knob in one way or another (as well as over the hill), and will probably have massive wage and signing on fee demands (even though their current income is nil).

Do you think we will sign a free agent - Collins or otherwise - in this next week?
No, I don't think we will sign a free agent when it comes to it.

But I do believe the club will have considered it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the answer rests in how long CH thinks or expects Dunk to be out, not what is the popular theory about back after the international break.
This seems right. If Dunk is out for a month, we won't bother. Out for 3 months and we might. We've 1 week to decide.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm in the give the youth a chance camp. Other teams play kids and get through perfectly well and if there's one position that we've done well at producing over the past 10-15 years it's centre back.

If we don't give the kids a chance how are they supposed to break into the team?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the answer rests in how long CH thinks or expects Dunk to be out, not what is the popular theory about back after the international break.
I also agree with this.

I'd be happy to sign Collins as short term cover but then put him in as 4th choice behind White. However, if Dunk is out for months we would need 4 centre backs in the squad in that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here