Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Blunt's letter to Chris Bryant !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bryant is a big pot calling a kettle black. He is from a privileged background himself .
Also the Labour Party are planning on tens of millions of pounds of funding cuts in the arts if they are elected. It has been proven, like investment in apprenticeships/training/sustainability (I could carry on) that small investments reap greater rewards not only in direct revenue but in indirect revenue. So why the cuts?

Luckily and hopefully we won't see the likes of Bryant , Moribund , Balls and their ilk, anywhere near 10 Downing Street in May.

Shudder to think what our economy will look like in two years time, let alone the arts and culture part of our society, if they did win the election.

TNBA

TTF

If you read what he is saying he is not knocking anyone from any background for their success, Blunt or otherwise. He is asking whether regardless of background do we all have a similar chance for that success if we have the talent and work hard?

It is not a criticism of success, it is only asking if that success is open to all. Which seems a fair enough question for a society that seeks to be fair.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Shouldn't the labour party be asking where the next Neil Kinnock or John Prescott is coming from, rather than a precession of career politicians from a privileged background " of his ilk"

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Bryant is a big pot calling a kettle black. He is from a privileged background himself.

I don't see what difference that makes. Why can someone from a privileged background not think everything should be more open to others?

Also the Labour Party are planning on tens of millions of pounds of funding cuts in the arts if they are elected. It has been proven, like investment in apprenticeships/training/sustainability (I could carry on) that small investments reap greater rewards not only in direct revenue but in indirect revenue. So why the cuts?

You're absolutely right, but a Tory government would do the same. Perhaps the "Shudder to think" part of your post should apply without the "if they did win the election" part - the arts & culture are probably completely screwed whatever the result in May :nono:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Made me chuckle.

Is that okay?

If you read the stuff that preceded it and the reply it detracts from the humour but hey, for once the funny bit came through :thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Made me chuckle.

Is that okay?

If you read the stuff that preceded it and the reply it detracts from the humour but hey, for once the funny bit came through :thumbsup:

Me too. Then I read the stuff that preceded it and the reply and came to the conclusion that Blunty sounds a bit irrational.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Doesn't preclude him from changing or commenting on the system that may have benefited himself.

But that's not what he's trying to do, is it? He's playing on a stereotype to try and win cheap votes from people fixating on a background that they didnt have, but which doesn't preclude them from working hard and making a success of whatever they choose to do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hmm, the Chris Bryant who went to boarding school and then Oxford. He's not on particularly solid ground here. That and the fact that his argument is complete bollocks.

I wish the Labour Party had some working class people in it.

Cheltenham College.

Lower College - Per term (years 9 to 11)
Boarding Fee £10,938
Day Fee £8,196
Day Boarding Charge (35 Night Allowance) £1,500
Additional Nights £45 per night

Upper College - Per term (years 12 & 13)
Boarding Fee £11,238
Day Fee £8,496
Day Boarding Charge (35 Night Allowance) £1,500
Additional Nights £45 per night
For full details of what the fees include, please request a copy of our Prospectus Pack, including our Admissions and Information brochure here.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
[MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] whilst I agree wholeheartedly with Blunt ' s letter and the action of posting it, why are you so selective in your support of 'posh boys'?

I've been written off by you, along with all the others for being out of touch with society.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He's someone from a privileged background championing people without privilege. I fail to see the hypocrisy. :shrug:

Both major political parties have championed their own internal policies of getting more women into parliament whether they are the best candidates or not. Don't know if I wholly agree with it but..........Maybe Labour should try and get some working class people into their top posts.....or is it too late ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Britain celebrates its working class popular culture icons and is rightly proud of them. Nothing wrong with having middle or upper class ones either though eh. The contradiction is a posh pop culture celebrity is noteworthy, the fact it's being discussed as an issue negates the argument. If a posh boy in popular music is note worthy, it tells you perhaps it's not the norm.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Chris Bryants reply.....

Dear James

Stop being so blooming precious. I’m not knocking your success. I even contributed to it by buying one of your albums. I’m not knocking Eddie Redmayne, either. He was the best Richard II I have ever seen.

If you’d read the whole of my interview, you’d have seen that I make the point that the people who subsidise the arts the most are artists themselves. Of course that includes you. But it is a statement of the blindingly obvious that that is far tougher if you come from a poor family where you have to hand over your holiday earnings to help pay the family bills.

I’m delighted you’ve done well for yourself. But it is really tough forging a career in the arts if you can’t afford the enormous fees for drama school, if you don’t know anybody who can give you a leg up, if your parents can’t subsidise you for a few years whilst you make your name and if you can’t afford to take on an unpaid internship.

You see the thing is I want everyone to take part in the arts. I don’t want any no-go areas for young people from less privileged backgrounds. And I’m convinced that we won’t be Great Britain if we waste great British talent in the arts. You seem to think talent will always out. My fear is that someone like Stanley Baker, the son of a disabled miner in the Rhondda, who rose to be one of Britain’s greatest film actors (Zulu), would have found it even harder to make it today.

That’s why we need more diversity at every level in the arts – in education, in training, on-screen, on stage and backstage – and we need to break down all the barriers to taking part so that every talent gets a chance.

Yours bluntly

Chris

Reads like many things that politicians say/write, it says absolutely sweet FA, cannot own anything when you say nothing.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Man with privileged background suggesting things should be more equal and inclusive? What a complete and utter tw@t.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Jimmy Blunt is far too much 'look at me' for my liking. Don't like his music at all, but he seems a nice enough fella. Bet he feels so clever with his twitter put downs.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
[MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] whilst I agree wholeheartedly with Blunt ' s letter and the action of posting it, why are you so selective in your support of 'posh boys'?

I've been written off by you, along with all the others for being out of touch with society.
Im selective on issues not the person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here