Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] James Anderson to miss Ashes series

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm thinking that he may have played his last Test match.

Sadly, I agree. You can see he’s lining up a media career (which he’ll be good at). He’s the sort of bloke who won’t retire mid Ashes out of respect for the team but wouldn’t be surprised if he does at end of season. Hope I’m wrong but I think he may have made the decision already. Overused word but he really is one of the greats (and globally, not just in england). I’ve been to a few games here and abroad with opposition fans and they’ve all been excited to watch him in the same way we’d be excited to watch Steyn or Ambrose back in the day.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It's a shame Archer and Anderson never got to play in the same test side. I fancy if Jofra stays fit he could get 400 test wickets, especially as Anderson now and Broad in a year or two will be completely out of the frame.

I doubt Archer will hit 400 wickets. Anderson and Broad both made their test debuts at 21; Archer is 24. I can’t see Archer playing test cricket until he’s 37 either. But I do fancy Archer to end his test career with a far better average than either JA or SB and being hailed as an England great when he hangs up his boots. He’s such an exciting player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I doubt Archer will hit 400 wickets. Anderson and Broad both made their test debuts at 21; Archer is 24. I can’t see Archer playing test cricket until he’s 37 either. But I do fancy Archer to end his test career with a far better average than either JA or SB and being hailed as an England great when he hangs up his boots. He’s such an exciting player.

Your test haul largely depends on the quality of the other bowlers in your team. Thats why Murali is streets ahead of everyone else because the other bowlers were mediocre. Alongside the likes of Broad and Anderson it would be 300 but I don't see the same quality coming through so he could be picking up 5 wickets per match for a few years to come.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Your test haul largely depends on the quality of the other bowlers in your team. Thats why Murali is streets ahead of everyone else because the other bowlers were mediocre.
Bowling alongside mediocre bowlers means that you'll get a larger share of the wickets, but it also means you'll lose a lot and take 20 wickets as a team less. It also makes it harder for a bowler to create pressure on batsmen if his teammate is leaking runs at the other end. I don't think it's fair on Murali to put his record down to having weak partners.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bowling alongside mediocre bowlers means that you'll get a larger share of the wickets, but it also means you'll lose a lot and take 20 wickets as a team less. It also makes it harder for a bowler to create pressure on batsmen if his teammate is leaking runs at the other end. I don't think it's fair on Murali to put his record down to having weak partners.

Murali got an absolute hatful of wickets against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe because whilst they could handle the other Sri Lankan bowlers they couldn't handle Murali, and that made a big difference to Murali's stats. I also think Archer will get the new ball which maximises his opportunity to take wickets - it's hard to bag 300+ test wickets unless you're a spinner or new ball bowler. It will certainly be interesting to watch his career.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Murali got an absolute hatful of wickets against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe because whilst they could handle the other Sri Lankan bowlers they couldn't handle Murali, and that made a big difference to Murali's stats.
Sounds like you've been out on the beer with Aussie fans. Ignore Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and take Murali's stats against the top teams and you'll find they're still very good compared to the likes of Shane.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Joe Denly will open in the fourth test with Jason Roy moving down to 4, good move. Not that I’m entirely convinced by Denly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49550240

Probably more of a grinder that could protect Root more than Roy can, and he played an important innings in the last test.

I remain to be convinced Roy will come off anywhere in the side unless we are batting to declare. He can't play anything that swings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here