Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Jamal Edwards R.I.P

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
A name that might not mean a lot to most of you, but absolutely heartbreaking news for myself and I’m sure for a few others on here.

British entrepreneur and YouTube star Jamal Edwards has died at the age of 31, his company has told the BBC.
He was the founder of SBTV, an online urban music platform which helped launch the careers of artists like Dave, Ed Sheeran and Jessie J.
Chart-topper AJ Tracey was one of the first to pay tribute online, tweeting "RIP Jamal Edwards, west London legend status".
Edwards, born in Luton, was appointed an MBE for services to music in 2014.
He also became an ambassador for the Prince's Trust, a youth charity run by the Prince of Wales which helps young people set up their own companies.
Edwards, who was the son of singer and Loose Women presenter Brenda Edwards, first got into film-making after his parents gave him a video camera as a Christmas present when he was 15.
In a 2013 interview with the BBC, he said he filmed friends rapping or singing and began to upload the videos to YouTube to allow other friends to see them.
"You can say my videos had mixed reviews to begin with, some people didn't get them, but others thought they were sick [good]," he said. "So I started to put them up on YouTube so everyone could see them, and it just grew from there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60457...2C1E&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=[post+type]

Nobody else on this earth has influenced my taste in music more than Jamal & SBTV did. At a time where British rap was shunned by almost everyone he gave a generation of young artists a platform and opened the floodgates for people like me who loved the music but had no way of discovering new artists in a pre-streaming world where none of my friends liked Hip-Hop so word of mouth passed me by. My teenage years were soundtracked by every F64 and warm up session. One man who had a dream and changed the music scene forever through his hard work. And that’s without going in to the mountain of charity work he did.

31 is no age for an absolute legend. :(

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is a sad for music, no age for anyone to pass away.
JE wasn't just involved in introducing new music, but was also involved in the MOBO's.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Lost a battle with covid apparently way to young.

Sauce?

Really? Apparently did a gig Sat night as a DJ. That's a very rapid demise if so.

Don't know the lad but always sad to hear of youngsters going before their time. Especially ones that have such positive impact on their peers and society.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, that's shocking.

Incredible kid - hence the MBE in his mid-20s.

Given all the artists Jamal gave a leg up to, I think we can expect an incredible, arena-sized tribute concert.

RIP young man.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Some people who don’t recognise the name might recognise the advert he starred in.

[TWEET]1495514577987153925[/TWEET]

Ed Sheehan, Stormzy, Dave, Wretch 32, Skepta, Krept & Konan, Big Narstie, Anne Marie, Ghetts were all on SBTV years before they went on to mainstream success. The list goes on and on too. It would be never ending if you went by people who carved out a career in part thanks to Jamal but never made it mainstream. An entire scene that owes thanks to one man, genuinely feel like I’ve lost a part of my formative years.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Sauce?

Really? Apparently did a gig Sat night as a DJ. That's a very rapid demise if so.

Don't know the lad but always sad to hear of youngsters going before their time. Especially ones that have such positive impact on their peers and society.

really...?? really....?? that is tragically unlucky if true.:down:

[TWEET]1495524269492740096[/TWEET]

Almost certainly wasn’t due to Covid. Sadly we live in a world where everything has to be used to score points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crikey. Very sad. Only 30 years on this planet but leaves a huge legacy. RIP

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

His cause of death is being reported as a sudden heart attack on Sunday morning.

Nice quote attributed to him earlier: “The goal isn’t to live forever but to create something that does.”

It’s humbling to understand how much he achieved and what a force for good he was in just 31 years. A remarkable young man in every sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very saw when I heard this. My mate used to DJ in Luton and when Jamal was 17 and pretty much starting out he used to ask if he could come along and film bits and do little promo things for the club to get involved and build up his skills. My mate still kept in touch with him on and off over the years and said he was absolutely as pleasant as he was the first time as he met him as he was recently. When you think what he did for British music he's probably had more impact than anyone else over the last 15 years or so

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Very saw when I heard this. My mate used to DJ in Luton and when Jamal was 17 and pretty much starting out he used to ask if he could come along and film bits and do little promo things for the club to get involved and build up his skills. My mate still kept in touch with him on and off over the years and said he was absolutely as pleasant as he was the first time as he met him as he was recently. When you think what he did for British music he's probably had more impact than anyone else over the last 15 years or so

bless him , a huge loss to the English music industry and to think that probably less than 2% of the public had a clue who he is/was.......tragic...:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here