Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamaica

jd312

Feb 19, 2011
I'm going there for two weeks in April after visiting the east coast of the States (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, D.C) :cool:. I saw a thread a couple of weeks ago on New York and found it had some great suggestion for when I go there.

I was wondering if people have suggestions, tips, places to go, things to do, etc in Jamaica as well as stuff to avoid. I'm planning to be in Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios but would welcome any suggestion for other places.

Another question I would like to ask is should I go to Kingston? I only ask because there doesn't seem like much to do there except get robbed.

Hit me NSC.:thumbsup:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
No, she went of her own accord.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm here all week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We went to Negril a few years back on a last minute thing - picked up a cheap flight and booked accommodation separately.

We didn't want to be confined to a big all-inclusive resort, so stayed here: http://www.kuyaba.com/ - shares the same gorgeous beach with many of the big AI properties, but is small, independent and friendly.

Really enjoyed the week and got out and about on foot quite a lot. I put myself in what might have been a dodgy position with a couple of big rastas late at night when I'd had a few. They wanted to sell me some of their 'produce' and I wasn't interested. In the end I bought a bracelet thing which I believe turned out to be a twig. No harm done though.

We quite often took a late afternoon walk up the hill out of Negril to get drinks and/or food. This place looked great and I'd look at it if we went back - Boutique Hotel and Spa | Luxury Accommodation | Negril Jamaica Caribbean | Rockhouse Hotel | Rockhouse Hotel

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Hedonism 2. I stayed there for 2 nights after being recomended by a mate. My girlfriend wasn't too excited when she first went down to pool to find a group Americans having a gang bang at the side of the pool. She came back a bit distressed so i thought i should go check this out. Anyway, 2hours later after some thorough investigating ;) i returned back to my room to inform my girlfriend that we are in a world famous swingers hotel. She demanded to leave straight away, i was happy to stay. Anyway 2days later and after some eye opening moments. We went to spend the next 12 days at a sandals resort in dunns river falls. Was beautiful and swinger free. Jamaica is an amazing place. Make sure you go to Bob Marleys home and sample the fine local produce. Have been 3 times and planning on going again this year. Enjoy

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Hedonism 2. I stayed there for 2 nights after being recomended by a mate. My girlfriend wasn't too excited when she first went down to pool to find a group Americans having a gang bang at the side of the pool. She came back a bit distressed so i thought i should go check this out. Anyway, 2hours later after some thorough investigating ;) i returned back to my room to inform my girlfriend that we are in a world famous swingers hotel. She demanded to leave straight away, i was happy to stay. Anyway 2days later and after some eye opening moments. We went to spend the next 12 days at a sandals resort in dunns river falls. Was beautiful and swinger free. Jamaica is an amazing place. Make sure you go to Bob Marleys home and sample the fine local produce. Have been 3 times and planning on going again this year. Enjoy

:lol: This is classic haha

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I'm going there for two weeks in April after visiting the east coast of the States (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, D.C) :cool:. I saw a thread a couple of weeks ago on New York and found it had some great suggestion for when I go there.

I was wondering if people have suggestions, tips, places to go, things to do, etc in Jamaica as well as stuff to avoid. I'm planning to be in Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios but would welcome any suggestion for other places.

Another question I would like to ask is should I go to Kingston? I only ask because there doesn't seem like much to do there except get robbed.

Hit me NSC.:thumbsup:

Been 8-9 times as Uncle manages the a 5 star hotel - the Half Moon in Montego Bay so cheapis holiday.

Id reccommend doing the standard tourist stuff such as Dunns River falls - try to avoid doing it in a large group though, go alone if can as you get stuck in a large line.

Ricks Cafe in Negril has to be done - go at Sunset as its amazing - listen to reggae bands, have some jerk chicken, drink red stripe and jump off cliffs -

Go to one of the Jerk centres if you can - good one in Ocho Rios where you get amazing jerk pork and these little savoury doughnut things called Spinners.

For a drunken night out, Margarittaville in Ocho Rios (think there a couple dotted around Island) is good.

Bob Marleys house worth a venture. At the end of the day though, try and relax - lovely beaches, good food, good beer. Enjoy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For a drunken night out, Margarittaville in Ocho Rios (think there a couple dotted around Island) is good.

That's where I went, in Negril, before I wandered off with the big rastas to someone I probably shouldn't have been!

D

Deleted member 18477

isnt Jamaica a very dangerous country outside of the 'holiday' resorts?

i know nothing about Jamaica, never been there, its just what you hear...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I must admit that of all the Caribbean Islands, Jamaica wouldn't be my first choice, but the places recommended previously are all good.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
isnt Jamaica a very dangerous country outside of the 'holiday' resorts?

i know nothing about Jamaica, never been there, its just what you hear...

It is. I hired a a bodyguard/driver to go on my excursions. He carried a gun. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing. A couple were robbed at gun point outside of my hotel. They were Russian so wasn't such a problem.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have been to Tobago, lovely place, but unfortunately I found it had the same level of sleazy blokes as Turkey hitting on teenage girls.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Stayed in Montego Bay about 3 years ago and loved it!!
Dunns river falls are a must! We went to an organised BBQ on the beach, full of yanks but great fun!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Went to Jamaica last year and about 15 yrs ago.
15 yrs ago it was great - hired a car ,explored most of the island, went clubbing with locals (that was an experience) although we were warned about certain places only ever had the standard holiday hassle.
Last year - different story - this time I was with family - a little older and naturally more cautious. The virgin rep refused to hire us a car (and huge excess on insurance) - everything was a lot more expensive and aimed at the all inclusive type holiday maker. Excursions were extortionate - we hired a driver for the day and went to Bob Marleys house and Dunns falls but cost us £300 for the day (which did include entry). If money is not a problem - recommend Blue mountains , a river raft ride, firefly, plantation trip - if your sensible explore you'll get more out of the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to Jamaica last year and about 15 yrs ago.
15 yrs ago it was great - hired a car ,explored most of the island, went clubbing with locals (that was an experience) although we were warned about certain places only ever had the standard holiday hassle.
Last year - different story - this time I was with family - a little older and naturally more cautious. The virgin rep refused to hire us a car (and huge excess on insurance) - everything was a lot more expensive and aimed at the all inclusive type holiday maker. Excursions were extortionate - we hired a driver for the day and went to Bob Marleys house and Dunns falls but cost us £300 for the day (which did include entry). If money is not a problem - recommend Blue mountains , a river raft ride, firefly, plantation trip - if your sensible explore you'll get more out of the place.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Went to montego bay I thought it was shit!!!!

Dunns river falls was ok bit overrated it took me about 5 mins to get to the top it takes me longer climbing up the steps to west upper
Riks cafe was ok trouble was though I jumped off the high cliff into the sea ended up deaf for a couple of days mind you that wasn't a bad thing after a week hearing Bob Marley everynight
Some great boat trips to go on where they take you out to the reefs and snorkel down
Got confronted by some local Jamaican with a machete late one night but other than all that it wasn't that bad a place

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Went there a few years ago with a friend who is a Stewardess with Virgin Atlantic. Great few days away in the sun during February. Climbed Dunns River Falls & swam with Dolphins. We were based in Montego Bay and with the Virgin crew dotted around the beach, the views were stunning ;-) . Generally felt safe, although like many other places, there are areas that should be avoided.
Didn't go to Bob Marley's home (which I kind if regret) as we were told it was over rated for the price and the area was full of locals trying to sell you the local *ahem* 'produce'.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I stayed at Sandals Negril, next door to Hedonism 2. Every afternoon you and your fat American 'mates' would venture out for a walk along the beach covering yer cocks and fannies with a small cloth singing 2,4,6,8 lets all masturbate, with lewd things written on their bodies with lipstick.

Negril was nice, great beach, market at one end and you got high just getting off the bus. Ricks is good but overall I liked Jamaica, but I have been to far better places for less money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is. I hired a a bodyguard/driver to go on my excursions. He carried a gun. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing.

It's a good thing for him - he saw YOU coming :lol:

Not denying the place has a tiny wee bit of an edge if you are inclined towards the paranoid in any case, and probably not too wise to stray THAT far off the beaten track without someone to keep a bit of an eye out for you, but hiring a bodyguard/driver with a gun is just plain ridiculous and is far more likely to land you in very serious confrontation with the JCF who are not exactly known for their British Bobby ways and who carry machine guns and have the unnerving habit of setting up road blocks and pulling you over. But unless you go completely head-mental on the overproof rum or buy the local produce from a non-trusted source then you'll have a fantastic time. It's a beautiful place and most of the people you'll encounter are as friendly and welcoming to a stranger as people are the world over. Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here