Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jake Humphrey - what a tool

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We’ve got them soon, wait until then. Just incase :lolol:

Norwich fans are a weird breed, on another forum I use a few people were talking about how they’re pretty much a waste of a PL place and show absolutely no ambition once they get in the league. A week passes and they sign Kabak & Normann on loan - the resident Norwich fan comes back all bullish, genuinely believing that this proves everyone was wrong about their lack of ambition. Two loan signings. In a window they sold their best best player. You couldn’t write it.

Normann to the rescue? - that Normann who was our player for two years without ever getting a game for us, that we loaned out and gave away (or a minimal fee at best)?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Of course they can, if a Premier League club signed 30 non-league players you wouldn’t be praising them for showing ambition, would you? Quality > Quantity. You’ve sold your best player for £35,000,000, lost Skipp too and whilst you’ve signed 11 players when you break it down it’s absolute shite.

2 loans from last season converted to permanent transfers - don’t improve your team.
2 loans with an option to buy - presumably not activated when/if you go down.
2 loans from the big 6. I don’t think a loan with no option/obligation to buy can ever be ambitious

So that leaves; Rashica, Tzolis, Sargent, Melou & Gunn. Rashica & Tzolis both look decent signings on paper, don’t think either of them will set the league alight but both of them are sensible signings. I don’t know a single thing about Melou if I’m honest and Sargent/Gunn are both back-up who will hardly start this season. There’s 11 players there but let’s be honest, it’ll be a miracle if Norwich stay up with arguably a weaker starting XI than they had last season

Skipp was a loan without an option to buy who was one of our best players last season and who you mentioned we’d lost - we wouldn’t be spending over £50m on non league players - yes it’s looking like a miracle maybe but Skipp and Buendia being ridiculously good last season and impossible to keep is also a credit of our recruitment previously - 99% of Norwich fans think we had a great window and we’ve spent what we have - if the team can’t perform or click then that’s down to the manager - I’d love to have a wealthy owner like nearly every other team in the prem

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Normann to the rescue? - that Normann who was our player for two years without ever getting a game for us, that we loaned out and gave away (or a minimal fee at best)?

He was very young with you I believe - need him to hit the ground running when he hopefully makes his debut next weekend

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was very young with you I believe - need him to hit the ground running when he hopefully makes his debut next weekend

Not really - he was 21 when we bought him, left when he was 23. He certainly will need to hit the ground running - and hit the goal a bit more often! OK, he's a midfielder, but two goals in fifty one in the Russian league isn't very promising.

Perhaps he's a late developer ...........................

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Doesn’t sit right with me for Brighton fans to berate Norwich. The only club that’s turning a small profit compared to us being propped up by a rich owner while losing £40M in the top flight.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Normann that we hope we have a large sell on percentage clause which, if so, will earn us a handy payment.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Doesn’t sit right with me for Brighton fans to berate Norwich. The only club that’s turning a small profit compared to us being propped up by a rich owner while losing £40M in the top flight.

Yes - we should be the LAST club to be looking down on Norwich. They are valiantly attempting to do the virtually impossible - compete in the EPL whilst maintaining a balanced budget. They've had a ridiculously tough start (incidentally, I checked back to our results in the same 4 fixtures in our first season - 3 of them were worse than Norwich's, and the only one that bettered their's was the 3-1 defeat at Man City (Norwich lost 5-0). We lost all four of those fixtures, with the same -10 goal difference).

And Jake Humphrey is not all that bad....he does a great podcast (The High Performance Podcast), which is well worth a listen - try the one with Tyrone Mings...[or the one with Grant Hanley, which gives a bit of insight into Norwich City]

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Skipp was a loan without an option to buy who was one of our best players last season and who you mentioned we’d lost - we wouldn’t be spending over £50m on non league players - yes it’s looking like a miracle maybe but Skipp and Buendia being ridiculously good last season and impossible to keep is also a credit of our recruitment previously - 99% of Norwich fans think we had a great window and we’ve spent what we have - if the team can’t perform or click then that’s down to the manager - I’d love to have a wealthy owner like nearly every other team in the prem

No, you wouldn’t spend £50m on non-league players, obviously. I’m just pointing out that “we signed the most players so we couldn’t possibly be unambitious” is flawed logic. Norwich spent £50m after getting £35m for their best player. Out of that £50,000,000 about 15m of it when on players you had on loan last season too! All of a sudden those numbers start to not look so impressive. Extensively you’ve broke even when it comes to improving the team.

I admire Norwich for being so sensible financially but that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s mindnumbingly boring to watch you get promoted, not go for it, get relegated with a whimper and start the whole cycle again. On top of that I’d argue that more ambition could have lead to the same financial outcome. You had/have a bit of a golden generation with Lewis, Aarons, Cantwell, Idah & Godfrey (i know you signed him but we’ll count him). If you’d spent wisely the first time you came up you’d have been in a very strong place. Instead you went down and lost Godfrey & Lewis for, what, £40m combined? If you’d been a Premier League club still you’d have got 40m for Godfrey alone.

I’m sure Norwich fans are pleased with the transfer window, but I don’t see you having anywhere near enough to stay up but from the outside looking in it stinks of accepting 20th and another push next season.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
No, you wouldn’t spend £50m on non-league players, obviously. I’m just pointing out that “we signed the most players so we couldn’t possibly be unambitious” is flawed logic. Norwich spent £50m after getting £35m for their best player. Out of that £50,000,000 about 15m of it when on players you had on loan last season too! All of a sudden those numbers start to not look so impressive. Extensively you’ve broke even when it comes to improving the team.

I admire Norwich for being so sensible financially but that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s mindnumbingly boring to watch you get promoted, not go for it, get relegated with a whimper and start the whole cycle again. On top of that I’d argue that more ambition could have lead to the same financial outcome. You had/have a bit of a golden generation with Lewis, Aarons, Cantwell, Idah & Godfrey (i know you signed him but we’ll count him). If you’d spent wisely the first time you came up you’d have been in a very strong place. Instead you went down and lost Godfrey & Lewis for, what, £40m combined? If you’d been a Premier League club still you’d have got 40m for Godfrey alone.

I’m sure Norwich fans are pleased with the transfer window, but I don’t see you having anywhere near enough to stay up but from the outside looking in it stinks of accepting 20th and another push next season.

The money we had was spent on promotion bonuses, new contracts,
paying off debt and redeveloping the training ground so not sure what we could have done to spend wisely unless you think we should have gambled (tried that and nearly crippled us) and left a substandard training ground which doesn’t help the club grow. We got a decent amount for Godfrey and fees don’t rocket just because you stay up. I get it can be frustrating seeing a club without a rich owner getting promoted who won’t gamble their future but I don’t think it stinks. Blame modern football, not us.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think we're all at risk at forgetting the important point, being that Jake Humphrey is massive tool. He's pre-match wander round studios, casual hellos last night was great combination of extreme Partridge and Brent.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
paying off debt and redeveloping the training ground so not sure what we could have done to spend wisely unless you think we should have gambled (tried that and nearly crippled us) and left a substandard training ground which doesn’t help the club grow. We got a decent amount for Godfrey and fees don’t rocket just because you stay up. I get it can be frustrating seeing a club without a rich owner getting promoted who won’t gamble their future but I don’t think it stinks. Blame modern football, not us.

Agree with everything you say. Norwich a proper club, run properly. Hope they do well

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If we're not careful, in-between clubs like Norwich, West Brom, Fulham, Bournemouth and Watford are going to inspire a Premier League 2.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I think we're all at risk at forgetting the important point, being that Jake Humphrey is massive tool. He's pre-match wander round studios, casual hellos last night was great combination of extreme Partridge and Brent.

Agreed - he makes my skin crawl every time he's on BT Sport. Such a hideous mix between BANTZ with the lads and sycophant!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

No frustration here. I have a lot of admiration for Norwich. The idea that spending loads of money guarantees survival in the PL is completely flawed. See Fulham for details. Very much looking forward to our game at yours.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Agreed - he makes my skin crawl every time he's on BT Sport. Such a hideous mix between BANTZ with the lads and sycophant!

One of my good mates is a Norwich season ticket holder (true) and he reckons Humphrey is shitehouse (also true).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No frustration here. I have a lot of admiration for Norwich. The idea that spending loads of money guarantees survival in the PL is completely flawed. See Fulham for details. Very much looking forward to our game at yours.

You don't have to be that good to finish 4th, 5th & 6th from bottom of the EPL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here