Jake Forster-Caskey to Charlton for undisclosed fee

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's the best guess on price?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Unfortunately never kicked on from the early promise shown. Hard to pin down what his best position/role is. Certainly in our midfield he doesn't have enough of an all round game to have progressed.
I still shudder at the midfield pairing of him and Gary Gardner.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Never really got beyond average for us. Then again watching him play, you always felt that he might do one day.

Certainly he can take a decent free kick - scored a fine goal at Derby for MK last season. Ultimately to progress I think he needs to be a bit more effective with the ball at his feet. He's too crab like at the moment.

If I was guessing at a price, I'd say £650k...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Unfortunately never kicked on from the early promise shown. Hard to pin down what his best position/role is. Certainly in our midfield he doesn't have enough of an all round game to have progressed.
I still shudder at the midfield pairing of him and Gary Gardner.

In fairness JFC and GG might have looked better if they hadn't been forced to play full back most of the time.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Don't think there was anything wrong with his football ability it was all down to what is in his head. Going to Oxford was a big mistake for him and maybe us, never the same after.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Never reignited the early promise he had when he burst into Poyets side.

For me his biggest failure is identifying and nailing down a set position. For the youth side he played out wide, for Poyet he played as an attacking midfielder then found himself as a holding player.

For me he lacks the pace and ability to beat a man to play through the middle, he is not strong or physical enough to play the holding role so is left with neat and tidy passing. Perhaps he could play back out wide in the Skalak mould but at 22 I am still not sure where he naturally plays.

As others have said he has ability but for me he has to work with a manager to help him find a natural position in a team and push on from there

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good luck to him. However I have never seen a midfielder contribute so little. How on earth can a two half year conract be justified

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think he needs to play in a team that allows him to be a bit more creative and roam - some sort of 4-3-1-2 where he is the '1' - able to dictate play and spread passes around. Find that team and he'll blossom, but he's just too lightweight to play in a 4-4-2 for us and we've seen him play DM in the Sami season and that didn't end well.

Good luck to him, it'd be great to see one of our own go on and do great things.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Never reignited the early promise he had when he burst into Poyets side.

For me his biggest failure is identifying and nailing down a set position. For the youth side he played out wide, for Poyet he played as an attacking midfielder then found himself as a holding player.

For me he lacks the pace and ability to beat a man to play through the middle, he is not strong or physical enough to play the holding role so is left with neat and tidy passing. Perhaps he could play back out wide in the Skalak mould but at 22 I am still not sure where he naturally plays.

As others have said he has ability but for me he has to work with a manager to help him find a natural position in a team and push on from there

He never played out wide.

From someone who has watched him since he joined the club at youth level, his best position has always been in the centre of a three man Midfield. The problem JFC has had is getting used to not having the time on the ball like he did when he was you ger to pick his passes. He has a great range of passing. Out of him solly and ince who all broke through roughly at the same time JFC has the best technical ability. However questions over his attitude and lack of bulk to compete in the championship. Hopefully for him the step back will kick him forward. I dont believe the club helped when making him the face of the club a few years back which really boosted expectations.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The lad has suffered from unrealistic early expectation, after becoming the club's youngest ever debutant. He's a decent centre midfielder, who'll probably have a much more successful football league career, than 99% of the people who are with a club at the age of 10-15.

At the age of just 22 he's already made 70 appearances in the Championship, and has represented his country 40 times, at every age group up to U21. He's scored a handful of crucial goals, including the opener in the superb against-the-odds win over Southampton, and a 35 yard worldy at Doncaster.

Plenty of fans are disappointed that he hasn't hit the heights that WE wanted him to. Plenty more are simply bitter, jealous, snides who relish the opportunity to abuse a player that did his best for OUR club.

I suspect the fee we'll have received was pretty modest, but hope it has a significant sell-on clause, so that if and when he fulfills some of his clear potential, the Albion benefit further.

Oct 25, 2003
a case of too much too young me thinks. Never quite recovered from the Hyypia era which I'm sure caused a massive dent in his confidence. Hyypia seemed intent on basing the midfield around him and JFC didn't have the experience to be able to do that. This was at the same time that the club made him the poster boy for a lot of their branding. He completely went into his shell and was far from the exciting midfielder that we saw glimpses of under Poyet. He was highly regarded by the u21's and at MK and I'm sure there's a good player there. Hopefully with a run of games he can fulfil his promise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here