Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Bugg last night

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah. But Bugg is no less tedious or cynically-created than 1D, .

Its an unfair comparison. If you'd said 'no less cynically marketed', then we could debate that. But 'created', no. One Direction were literally created on TV. They didn't even enter the TV karaoke contest as a group. Bugg has set out on a career as a singer-songwriter, and has started that journey under his own steam, before his talent (more apparent in his writing than his delivery, for me) has bought him to the attention of those who can see £££s in him. Thereafter the cynical nature of the music industry kicks in, obviously.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I quite like Jake Bugg's music. He's only 19 years of age too, so his best work may be a few years off happening, although by that time he may not attract so much commercial appeal. Surely though it is far better to have talented musicians that write their own songs and play instruments rather than just wall-to-wall manufactured pop music that plays out to sample tracks. Albeit, what the latter can do is introduce people to music they might not otherwise have thought about downloading (i.e. One Direction fans might be curious to download The Who because 1D sampled Baba O'Riley).

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah. But Bugg is no less tedious or cynically-created than 1D, in the same way any of the lowest common denominator distillations of genres - Plan B for soul, say, or Chase and Status for dance, or Bumford for folk - are. They're at that gatekeeper mark of indie and pop where they will momentarily draw an arena-sized amount of people who like the type of music they're approximating in, and then swiftly disappear, a lot richer.

This. Both parties have zero innovation in their music, they are just following the set blueprint.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This. Both parties have zero innovation in their music, they are just following the set blueprint.

Firstly, you cannot even begin to refer to the tracks released by One Direction, as 'their music'. They neither write it, not play it.

Bugg is at least writing and playing new music, regardless of how 'innovative' that music might be. More broadly, 'innovation' really isn't the only virtue to be found in music. To write off good tunes, on the basis that others wrote some others earlier based on similar foundations, is nonsense, really. If people enjoy listening to it, it has value - full stop.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Isn't he just a copy of Bob Dylan?

This sort of thing is tedious. It's like when people said Oasis were a copy of The Beatles, when although The Beatles influenced a number of their songs, there were others that were evidently influenced by the likes of The Kinks, The Who, The Smiths and even Nirvana. All musicians/bands are going to have their sound influenced to some degree or another by another artist that they admire.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This sort of thing is tedious. It's like when people said Oasis were a copy of The Beatles, when although The Beatles influenced a number of their songs, there were others that were evidently influenced by the likes of The Kinks, The Who, The Smiths and even Nirvana. All musicians/bands are going to have their sound influenced to some degree or another by another artist that they admire.

Quite. As I've said before - I reckon Bugg has listened to a LOT of Ryan Adams.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My granddaughter is really into music and as she is 15 months old, she has no knowledge of other peoples opinions or preferences. Some background music or videos she'll completely ignore, but without doubt her favourite artist that everything stops for, and she'll dance vigorously to is Olly Murs.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Perhaps but I highly doubt either are out to break new ground. Maybe they just want to make the sound their own? Anyway in this day and age what artist doesn't follow a set of standards already laid down by the people who pioneered a specific genre?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Firstly, you cannot even begin to refer to the tracks released by One Direction, as 'their music'. They neither write it, not play it.

Bugg is at least writing and playing new music, regardless of how 'innovative' that music might be. More broadly, 'innovation' really isn't the only virtue to be found in music. To write off good tunes, on the basis that others wrote some others earlier based on similar foundations, is nonsense, really. If people enjoy listening to it, it has value - full stop.

As a disclaimer to what I posted (which I naively forgot to put, given a music discussion thread is much like an Xbox vs Playstation thread) I don't get into all the willy waving of music snobbery. I find the viewpoint of 'ohh this sound is far better than that sound' to be tedious and pointless. I do completely agree with you that the general music industry is fake and flawed at the moment which is why I tend to avoid it, totally. I'm sure that Jake Bugg is more refreshing than One Direction, but from my point of view they're still both miles away from the sort of music that interests me. My statement that both sets of sounds aren't innovative is true, and innovation is something I personally look for in my music. Even in the 70s & 80s etc when bands were all playing a similar style, they all sought out a unique sound (although I admit that a number of those did hark back to earlier music periods for inspiration).

End of the day, I think people should listen to whatever music they like the sound of, whether that is One Direction, Jake Bugg or something completely different!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Perhaps but I highly doubt either are out to break new ground. Maybe they just want to make the sound their own? Anyway in this day and age what artist doesn't follow a set of standards already laid down by the people who pioneered a specific genre?

Certainly, and for sure I'd much rather loads of people 'followed' the blueprints of bands from the 60s-80s than the current crop of electropop, but again it's my personal preference. I personally do not understand the hype of JB, and wonder if it is the sheer contrast of his music within the overall dire popular music sector that has prompted this hype. But if people do love his music as much as the overwhelming hype suggests, then that is obviously great for both them and him.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I saw him a few months back at the dome and he was excellent, decided I'd rather remember that than ruin it with the sound and lack of atmosphere that the brighton centre generates.

For a young lad he is very good at what he does and just because he is doing very well doesn't make him shit. Good luck to him I say.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Brighton Centre really needs knocking down and starting from scratch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not a fan, but then I'm really not a fan of the majority of British Indie music from the 90s - find it incredibly drab, dour, and lacking in imagination or musicianship.

But that article is utter shit too.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Its an unfair comparison. If you'd said 'no less cynically marketed', then we could debate that. But 'created', no. One Direction were literally created on TV. They didn't even enter the TV karaoke contest as a group. Bugg has set out on a career as a singer-songwriter, and has started that journey under his own steam, before his talent (more apparent in his writing than his delivery, for me) has bought him to the attention of those who can see £££s in him. Thereafter the cynical nature of the music industry kicks in, obviously.

100% this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't get the hype surrounding him at all. If I heard him playing in a pub I don't think I would bother going in.

Ok - that's fair enough. I'm also a bit bemused by the music press proclaiming him as the saviour of British music. My take is that he has some talent, and considering his very young age, his writing shows impressive maturity. I'm unconvinced by him as a performer, though. To run with your example, if I heard him playing Dylan and Oasis covers in a pub, rather than his own songs, I'd sit outside with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here