Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshere

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You must be. You and Andy Townsend.

Underwhelming again as far as I am concerned.

yeah we should have beaten them a million nil. wilshere played well. andy townsend probably did call it right having played in a lot of international matches. he may be a boring c unt but he was spot on re wilshere. cant believe people are pulling him up on his performance tonight. wasnt perfect but people expect the harlem globetrotters.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I thought the thread was about the player as a whole, not just about tonight's game.

I agree, he played ok tonight, possibly our best player even, but then look at the opposition and our team performance. It's no form of recommendation is it.

I stand by what I said in my previous post.

we can play the big boys in the quarters and semis and then coat them off as being useless. what is the cut off point for international performences being a recommendation? group stages finals?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Love the way so many expect us to go to these eastern European sides and rack up a cricket score. "Its only Estonia".

We played some very decent football IMO, first half in particular, and could easily have gone in 2 or 3 up if the finishing was sharper. But no, because we've not run out 5-0 winners, apparently we're shite again. This is obviously not a vintage England team, but they showed some grit, determination and organisation and ground out a result there. I thought Henderson had the best game I've seen from him in an England shirt, Lallana was lively and Wilshere sprayed some nice passes around. And we hardly gave them a sniff.

Qualifying is a process where you have to go to these places and grind out a result - that's exactly what we did tonight. Will we get stuffed out of sight by the first decent team we meet in the Finals ? Probably. But lining up to slag us off after a reasonable result and performance tonight is soooo yawnworthy. Credit where its due, except when it comes to England apparently.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
we can play the big boys in the quarters and semis and then coat them off as being useless. what is the cut off point for international performences being a recommendation? group stages finals?

That's a fair comment, you can only play what's in front of you.

I'm talking about the Jack Wilshere I've seen in numerous England performances and lots of highlights from Arsenal games on MOTD (sorry, that's all I've got to go on). I think he's been over hyped as the next big thing for England and future captain. I just don't think he's that outstanding a player from what I've seen of him. Perhaps if I was a home and away Gooner I might have a different opinion?, I don't know.

My biggest worry about him is his tendency to jump into unwinnable tackles with rushes of blood to the head and get himself injured as a result, hence my comparison to Bryan Robson earlier. On the International stage, he's no better than mediocre from what I've seen so far.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Think the premier league has ruined out national side, all they seem to do is worry about their pay rises, silly colour boots, where is the passion, I thought Wiltshire played as well as the rest, total utter crap, why do I bother to watch ? We beat a team with a population about the same as Sussex, only just as well. We need to start all over again from grass roots.

gibraltar play with passion.

how do you mean start over from grass roots? jettison all the players we have who have premier league, champions league and previous international tournament experience, and have spent all their careers at clubs with state of the art facilities? doesnt sound like a sound plan to me. England may not be in with a sniff of a major tournament win right now but the 'lets play the kids they are hungrier' angry with underproforming biting of your nose to spite your face mentality is going to win us even less.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That's a fair comment, you can only play what's in front of you.

I'm talking about the Jack Wilshere I've seen in numerous England performances and lots of highlights from Arsenal games on MOTD (sorry, that's all I've got to go on). I think he's been over hyped as the next big thing for England and future captain. I just don't think he's that outstanding a player from what I've seen of him. Perhaps if I was a home and away Gooner I might have a different opinion?, I don't know.

My biggest worry about him is his tendency to jump into unwinnable tackles with rushes of blood to the head and get himself injured as a result, hence my comparison to Bryan Robson earlier. On the International stage, he's no better than mediocre from what I've seen so far.[/QUOTE

fair points 1066 - robson was a better player in my eyes technically (being in my early forties i feel well qualified to judge) but would get slaughtered now if he was in the england set up for the reasons you cite. instead 30 years ago he was a national hero for the same reasons. can you imagine what the current media ghouls would have made of the 86 first round? it was bad enough then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wilshere did OK but it was Estonia. It makes me laugh when people say Rooney had a bad game, he got the winner (again). Really, what WOULD we do without him?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wilshere did OK but it was Estonia. It makes me laugh when people say Rooney had a bad game, he got the winner (again). Really, what WOULD we do without him?

Sorry but Rooney DID have a bad game. Even Roy Hodgson said he had a bad game. Over the two games Rooney should have filled his boots. He missed at least 6 very presentable chances.

In last night's game alone he's missed a tap in, at the end of the first half, where he failed to even make contact with the ball, and a last minute one on one when the keeper went down way too early, and with a bit of composure would have walked it in.

And of course he 'got the winner' - he insisted on taking EVERY set piece - who else was going to score a free kick that Rooney took? (BTW - technically it was an own goal anyway...:jester: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here