Jack The Ripper

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Read: Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell. She thinks JTR was an well known artist called Walter Sickert.

Of the half dozen or so Ripper books I've read, hers was, without doubt, the least well-researched and her conclusion that Sickert was the Ripper was based on the flimsiest of evidence. One of the key pieces of "evidence" is that one of his paintings looks a bit like one of the murder scenes, even though his subject is patently not dead. I'm not sure what her motive was for publishing this book, but would hazard a guess it was to further enhance her reputation as an author of a series of novels about a coroner in the US. It's hard to believe she was motivated by a desire to expand the body of knowledge on the subject. AFAIK, not one single serious Ripperologist takes her assertions seriously - that's unique in the field. No one else has zero supporters.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Be a bit of a bugger getting the Ripper's mitochondrial DNA from any of that lot though, wouldn't it?

On topic - Kosminski has always been a prime suspect, and for many Ripperologists, the prime suspect. Quite apart from it probably being impossible to prove who it was (to criminal conviction standards anyway), does it really matter?

Poetic licence - the gag works better with male names.

Does it really matter? I daresay it matters to the family of the murdered victims in as much as positive identification would provide more information about the killer and his motives, as well as providing some closure.

Maybrick has since been proven as a fake journal I believe. He wasnt on the police radar "at the time" either.

Tumblety "the quack" and Kosminski most certainly were amongst the chief suspects.

The journal certainly hasn't been proved to be faked. Yes there are lots of sceptics, many of who have vested interests in maintaining the claim of their own preferred culprit. I've read two or three books about the diary and while it can't be said to be definitely the work of the ripper lots of it is very convincing. Maybrick is far and away the most likely suspect in my opinion. No he wasn't on the police radar at the time but that means nothing, the police investigation was hardly a model of good police work, even in those times.

The main problem with the diary is that it was easy to decry it as it followed soon after the publication of the Hitler Diaries which were definite - and fairly obvious - fakes. Lots of people were fooled by them and had egg on their faces, consequently when the Ripper diary appeared they didn't want to be caught out agai.

Read the books about the diary and make up your own mind.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Poetic licence - the gag works better with male names.

Does it really matter? I daresay it matters to the family of the murdered victims in as much as positive identification would provide more information about the killer and his motives, as well as providing some closure.

yes, it does. It was a good gag too, especially as the names were correct generationally.

You're right, of course. It would matter to the families. I was thinking more about why the topic stills holds such fascination for amateur sleuths so long after the case. I'm not pointing the finger here - I'm gently interested myself. It's all a bit odd. I could and should have been a bit clearer about the point I was seeking to make.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
yes, it does. It was a good gag too, especially as the names were correct generationally.

You're right, of course. It would matter to the families. I was thinking more about why the topic stills holds such fascination for amateur sleuths so long after the case. I'm not pointing the finger here - I'm gently interested myself. It's all a bit odd. I could and should have been a bit clearer about the point I was seeking to make.

I think the case still holds an allure to amateur sleuths for a number of reasons, not least because it happened in the relatively early days of police photography, police records, detailed autopsies so is right on the cusp of the beginnings of modern policing and crime scene investigation. The case offered the tantalising prospect of being solvable because of the evidence on offer.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As others have suggested, this is just the latest in a very long line of "suspect" books on JtR. Pick your killer, then try to get the facts to fit.

The shawl has been around for many years and has previously been tested. This guy has paid a small fortune for the shawl and is now trying to re-coup his outlay.

The DNA testing is ummm "iffy" to put it mildly. The "scientist" has apparently used a new vacuum process to extract the DNA. This process has not, so far as I'm aware, been subject to peer review and neither has the relative(s) been produced.

The story that a Met police officer was given permission to remove the shawl is nonsense. The murder took place in the City of London police area and it is inconceivable that:-

a) a PC would be so far off his beat and in another force's jurisdiction, and

b) That he would have been given permission to remove important evidence from a crime scene. Given permission by whom? We are not told.

There are so many reasons to dismiss this heap of crap for what it is....a heap of crap! No least because the shawl has been verified by the V&A as "Edwardian".

And how did a fallen women, who was out on the street because she didn't have a penny or two for her "doss", have such an expensive item of clothing.

Don't waste your money. Don't buy this garbage!

(For those with an interest in JtR, I'd recommend "The Complete Jack the Ripper A-Z: The Ultimate Guide to the Ripper Mystery" by Fido/Begg/Skinner)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As others have suggested, this is just the latest in a very long line of "suspect" books on JtR. Pick your killer, then try to get the facts to fit.

The shawl has been around for many years and has previously been tested. This guy has paid a small fortune for the shawl and is now trying to re-coup his outlay.

The DNA testing is ummm "iffy" to put it mildly. The "scientist" has apparently used a new vacuum process to extract the DNA. This process has not, so far as I'm aware, been subject to peer review and neither has the relative(s) been produced.

The story that a Met police officer was given permission to remove the shawl is nonsense. The murder took place in the City of London police area and it is inconceivable that:-

a) a PC would be so far off his beat and in another force's jurisdiction, and

b) That he would have been given permission to remove important evidence from a crime scene. Given permission by whom? We are not told.

There are so many reasons to dismiss this heap of crap for what it is....a heap of crap! No least because the shawl has been verified by the V&A as "Edwardian".

And how did a fallen women, who was out on the street because she didn't have a penny or two for her "doss", have such an expensive item of clothing.

Don't waste your money. Don't buy this garbage!

(For those with an interest in JtR, I'd recommend "The Complete Jack the Ripper A-Z: The Ultimate Guide to the Ripper Mystery" by Fido/Begg/Skinner)

Calm down Jack

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
He was and always has been one of the main suspects as the killings stopped the exact same time he was put in the loony bin !!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The journal certainly hasn't been proved to be faked. Yes there are lots of sceptics, many of who have vested interests in maintaining the claim of their own preferred culprit. I've read two or three books about the diary and while it can't be said to be definitely the work of the ripper lots of it is very convincing. Maybrick is far and away the most likely suspect in my opinion. No he wasn't on the police radar at the time but that means nothing, the police investigation was hardly a model of good police work, even in those times.

The main problem with the diary is that it was easy to decry it as it followed soon after the publication of the Hitler Diaries which were definite - and fairly obvious - fakes. Lots of people were fooled by them and had egg on their faces, consequently when the Ripper diary appeared they didn't want to be caught out agai.

Read the books about the diary and make up your own mind.

Not necessarily, see http://www.casebook.org/suspects/james_maybrick/mb-con.html - link contains two affidavits by Michael Barrett, the discoverer of Maybrick's diary.

See also
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nd-feels-he-has-been-here-before-1464073.html The article is from 1993.

There was a 6 year gap between the Hitler diaries forgery and the appearance of Maybrick's diary.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Not necessarily, see http://www.casebook.org/suspects/james_maybrick/mb-con.html - link contains two affidavits by Michael Barrett, the discoverer of Maybrick's diary.

See also
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nd-feels-he-has-been-here-before-1464073.html The article is from 1993.

There was a 6 year gap between the Hitler diaries forgery and the appearance of Maybrick's diary.

I got a signed copy in Liverpool and having met Michael Barrett, am sure that he didn't write the diary. He may well have just been part of a larger conspiracy, which seems likely.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Of the half dozen or so Ripper books I've read, hers was, without doubt, the least well-researched and her conclusion that Sickert was the Ripper was based on the flimsiest of evidence. One of the key pieces of "evidence" is that one of his paintings looks a bit like one of the murder scenes, even though his subject is patently not dead. I'm not sure what her motive was for publishing this book, but would hazard a guess it was to further enhance her reputation as an author of a series of novels about a coroner in the US. It's hard to believe she was motivated by a desire to expand the body of knowledge on the subject. AFAIK, not one single serious Ripperologist takes her assertions seriously - that's unique in the field. No one else has zero supporters.

Agreed, it is rather self absorbed. Just an interesting bit about Sickert's DNA on one of the mocking letters to the yard, as tested by modern methods. Same identifiable letter paper that he used also.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Who says Jack worked alone anyway? Maybe Sickert and Kosminski worked together!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Agreed, it is rather self absorbed. Just an interesting bit about Sickert's DNA on one of the mocking letters to the yard, as tested by modern methods. Same identifiable letter paper that he used also.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. That was interesting; at the the time I found fault with what she'd said about the DNA, but can't now remember what my problem with it was.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. That was interesting; at the the time I found fault with what she'd said about the DNA, but can't now remember what my problem with it was.

I think the DNA was a partial match only, therefore, inconclusive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports