Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just been wondering, do we think having a footballer dad is something we look out for as it *in theory* helps ground players?

Ferguson, Hinsh, Mac Allister. Ferdinand in the youth team…
No - what about the 92 other professionals/scholars we have on our books? The statistics would suggest we look for players who DON'T have a footballer dad.

(More seriously, Albion absolutely will look at the character of all players who have the potential to be signed, at every age group level, but I doubt very much the "footballer dad" issue is a "thing".)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If Harry Howell makes it into the first team we will have cousins playing together in the same team.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You would assume it’s a matter of time before he gets promoted to the u21s if he keeps going as he is in an Albion shirt.

And there it'll end unless there's a change in the men's management.

Dec 29, 2011
No - what about the 92 other professionals/scholars we have on our books? The statistics would suggest we look for players who DON'T have a footballer dad.

(More seriously, Albion absolutely will look at the character of all players who have the potential to be signed, at every age group level, but I doubt very much the "footballer dad" issue is a "thing".)
Your intuition is a bit off I think. If 10% of our squad have footballing dad's, compared to the national average of 0.001% (or whatever) of people that have footballing dad's, it shows having a footballing dad really does increase your chances of making it professionally by quite a large amount.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your intuition is a bit off I think. If 10% of our squad have footballing dad's, compared to the national average of 0.001% (or whatever) of people that have footballing dad's, it shows having a footballing dad really does increase your chances of making it professionally by quite a large amount.
Yes, of course genes make a difference. If your parents had the strength, speed, athleticism, speed of reaction, balance and agility of good sportsmen, and even more if they were keen on sports and introduced you to their skills at an early age, you are more likely to be able to be a top sportsman than the person next door with less athletic parents who preferred a good book to early morning runs and regular trips to the gym.
Not guaranteed of course, just increases the chance a bit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Aren't you guessing what the national average? For all you know our percentage may be on the low side!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Clubs absolutely do look into this. Case in point - a friends son is a very good keeper, county level and was at the elite academy. However when he turned 14 they dropped him down a level and my friend found out it was because they’d profiled him and his wife and decided they weren’t tall enough so likely his lad wouldn’t be either!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not so sure. An average of 0.001 would mean a club with 100 players would have 0.1 of a player with a footballing dad!!! I'm guessing most of us don't have any idea about the heritage of a lot of the foreign players that play over here, many of which probably also have a father that has played. There's also a question as to what level the father has played at to be considered.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can we all agree that bullying an 18 year old when you’re 38 about wearing a snood on a football pitch is absolutely fine and should be actively encouraged?

More people should speak up otherwise things will never change.
(n) It's not bullying. And calling it as such only makes the word 'bullying' (which is a serious issue) meaningless.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Snood thing makes sense - you can’t wear one playing so why where one training

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just a follow up. I couldn't help but notice that in yesterday's training video that Hinshelwood and Milner are the only two players not wearing snoods. :lol:

1705491657817.png

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Clubs absolutely do look into this. Case in point - a friends son is a very good keeper, county level and was at the elite academy. However when he turned 14 they dropped him down a level and my friend found out it was because they’d profiled him and his wife and decided they weren’t tall enough so likely his lad wouldn’t be either!
Yup. A friends dad was a professional. It opened many doors to trials when he was a teenager. Unfortunately, he didn’t make the grade at any.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just a follow up. I couldn't help but notice that in yesterday's training video that Hinshelwood and Milner are the only two players not wearing snoods. :lol:

View attachment 172937
Brilliant. they've come back from the sunshine in Dubai, to a baltic Lancing, and they are all absolutely freezing.

Hinshelwood is thinking, "I can't put a snood on, because I've made a THING of it now, and Milly will think I'm soft".

Milner is thinking "f***ing HELL its cold. I can't put a sodding snood on either, because now I'll look an absolute TOOL"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here