[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really impressive how quickly he's settled, after a shaky first couple of appearances (although him being utterly thrown to the wolves at Villa, was 100% on RDZ - shocking call, that).

Looks like he'll develop into a really good footballer, once his physical development catches up with his ability. He very noticeably drops off, and starts making more mistakes after 65-70 minutes in each game - unsurprising given his age - Buonanotte is the same.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
a blessing that's come from our ridiculous injury list is the emergence of young Jack. Such a wise head on young shoulders and you can tell De Zerbi absolutely loves him like a son

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I honestly thought RDZ was just trying to build the lad’s confidence by comparing him with Gross, but last night showed that he really does have the same knack (footballing intelligence) to pick a pass that gives a teammate plenty of time and space on the ball. His reading of the play is superb.

Good to see him allowed to wander into his more natural position when we go to three at the back and Adingra hugs the touch line. He drifts from right back to centre mid and gets more involved in attacks.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I honestly thought RDZ was just trying to build the lad’s confidence by comparing him with Gross, but last night showed that he really does have the same knack (footballing intelligence) to pick a pass that gives a teammate plenty of time and space on the ball. His reading of the play is superb.

Good to see him allowed to wander into his more natural position when we go to three at the back and Adingra hugs the touch line. He drifts from right back to centre mid and gets more involved in attacks.
His “more natural position” seems to be “anywhere”.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Really impressive how quickly he's settled, after a shaky first couple of appearances (although him being utterly thrown to the wolves at Villa, was 100% on RDZ - shocking call, that).

Looks like he'll develop into a really good footballer, once his physical development catches up with his ability. He very noticeably drops off, and starts making more mistakes after 65-70 minutes in each game - unsurprising given his age - Buonanotte is the same.
Yes, he seemed to hit a wall last night and suddenly started under hitting passes. Regardless a great show by the lad and a real prospect. 2 18 year old starters in a European match. Ffs

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
His “more natural position” seems to be “anywhere”.
I think he does look visibly more at ease centrally. His instinct seems to be to get into the middle and ping passes around, a little like Gilmour.

At full back he gets caught out of position a little more often, and occasionally slashes at a clearance. Not saying this to undermine him, because he's been fantastic. I'd like to see him get a proper go in midfield again, maybe at Stoke?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If we’d signed him for £10,000,000 in the summer we’d all be praising the recruitment team for unearthing another gem.

He’s young so he will have dips in form but his progression is startling, going to have a massive career.
I think this is the point - if our academy is going to start producing a Hinshelwood (literally, if his father was busy enough during his injury lay-offs back in the day, starting to pay off handsomely now!) each season then the pressure on our scouting department and the number crunchers reduces dramatically and we make even greater profit on future sales for the purpose of FFP.

Can I add, I'm not wanting to make a comparison - but I remember a young man called Steven Gerrard getting into Liverpool's team at right back to play minutes before becoming one of the Premier League's best all action midfielders. Hinshelwood's already scored a winning goal in the Premier League and been a key player in our team in the Europa League.

Dec 29, 2011
If we’d signed him for £10,000,000 in the summer we’d all be praising the recruitment team for unearthing another gem.

He’s young so he will have dips in form but his progression is startling, going to have a massive career.
This is the truth.

Also, can someone clarify his official position? I see "he's playing out of position" a lot, but I've never seen which position he's actually meant to play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the truth.

Also, can someone clarify his official position? I see "he's playing out of position" a lot, but I've never seen which position he's actually meant to play.
In goal?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think this is the point - if our academy is going to start producing a Hinshelwood (literally, if his father was busy enough during his injury lay-offs back in the day, starting to pay off handsomely now!) each season then the pressure on our scouting department and the number crunchers reduces dramatically and we make even greater profit on future sales for the purpose of FFP.

Can I add, I'm not wanting to make a comparison - but I remember a young man called Steven Gerrard getting into Liverpool's team at right back to play minutes before becoming one of the Premier League's best all action midfielders. Hinshelwood's already scored a winning goal in the Premier League and been a key player in our team in the Europa League.
You mean Hinchy is destined to become a shit manager?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This is the truth.

As per post #41 on this very thread:-

He started out as a defender but in his own words (from the club website on May 10 2022):

Today I see myself more as a box-to-box midfielder, who can do both sides of the game. I like to get involved, breaking up the play, but I also like to get forward when I can. It’s a role I really enjoy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is the truth.

To add to AZ's quotation from JH, RDZ has likened JH to Pascal Gross -- 'the son of Pascal Gross' -- due to their versatility.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Another senior team level performance from Jack - once he bulks out he’ll be a powerhouse box to box player with his attacking mentality as well has having the versatility to drop deep into FB. At one point, he played a beautiful ball through to JP before the offside call - I thought he looked really comfortable in possession and finds space well when off the ball too. A few unfortunate passes but overall showing great potential. With an ability to ‘go where is needed’ during play, in a team under De Zerbi that’s taking positional flexibility within one game to a whole new level, he is going to be an important player for us I think.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Southgate was taking notes last night - Can see Jack being a potential U21s given his level of maturity and talent. (Chuffed for Dunky though that he played a smashing game in front of the England manager)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I also wouldn’t be surprised if Southgate was taking notes last night - Can see Jack being a potential U21s given his level of maturity and talent. (Chuffed for Dunky though that he played a smashing game in front of the England manager)
I'll let you off there because you normally post sense.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'll let you off there because you normally post sense.
You don’t think the former U21s manager with his particular interest in developing youth players keeps an eye open for youngsters on his rounds to PL clubs that might one day make the U21s? Or you think it is non-sensical to suggest Hinshelwood might have potential in that regard?🤷‍♂️ I wasn’t suggesting he was at the Amex to watch Hinshelwood he was surely checking out Dunk.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hinshelwood has been such a find and bonus for us this season with his game intelligence and abilty to play midfield and full back with the modern trend for full backs to drift further forward and into the middle. He’s been a fantastic solution to our full back problems recently.

Such a talent, I’m so excited to watch more of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports