[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it very much depends on the player. Some thrown in the deep end and offered praise drown (Connolly?), others thrive and kick on (Ferguson, Hinsh?). I suspect a key difference between Connolly and Ferg/Hinsh is that the latter two have grown up and learned their trade in families who have history in the sport and have been very well mentally prepared long before they made the first team (despite still being teenagers). Both Ferg and Hinsh strike me as players that we need to consider as being mentally well beyond their youthful years.
Worth adding that RDZ has said (at least) twice in press conferences that Hinshelwood is mature for his age.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I hate to go against our esteemed manager, but I just think that speculation as to the progress of a young player is unhelpful.

Player development is far from linear and there are many hurdles for the lad to get over before he could become a player anywhere near as good as Gross.

It's been brilliant to see young Jack get and take his unexpected chance and to have a great name of Sussex sport performing in the PL is even more brilliant. But the best thing of all would be to see the lad go through his planned development path and earn the chance to shine in his favoured position, when we're in a position of strength to bring a youngster through rather than throwing someone in out of necessity.

To be fair, RDZ was mainly talking about his attitude and versatility.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RdeZ was asked about ‘academy players’ in the latest press conf……..in respect of Hinshelwood he basically said (paraphrased) he isn’t an academy player, he’s a first team player and has been with the squad since pre-season (ie he’s not been brought in because of injuries etc).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I really didn't like his Dad as a player for us (was one of our poorest layers in his time imo - like him as manager of Worthing though!)

This is the most mental opinion in a thread where Dwayne is in full attention seeker mode!

Pre-ACL Hish was a brilliant defender, think he was probably more naturally talented than Elphick who had a pretty decent career.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
This is the most mental opinion in a thread where Dwayne is in full attention seeker mode!

Pre-ACL Hish was a brilliant defender, think he was probably more naturally talented than Elphick who had a pretty decent career.
absolutely

Adam Hinshelwood was a really good defender and was on course to solidifying himself as a solid championship level player before his injury. Had even received an England U-21 call up

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He’s been very versatile positionally this evening - I wonder if his confidence is partly due to his heritage?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports