[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Didn't see the game but he didn't defend well for the first. It was easy for them to hook it back in and he didn't put any pressure on the ball.

I really didn't like his Dad as a player for us (was one of our poorest layers in his time imo - like him as manager of Worthing though!) but saw enough nous from Jack on Thursday to see there's a little more there and if RDZ thinks so that's fine by me! What is his actual position though as it appears he's doing well as a stand in left back!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Is it not flogging a dead horse by now?

Dwayne we all know your opinion on Hinshelwood, you don't need to pop up at every single opportunity to twist the knife further.

As others have said he's only a teenager trying to break into the team. Even if you don't think he'll make it, the persistence is odd.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Didn't see the game but he didn't defend well for the first. It was easy for them to hook it back in and he didn't put any pressure on the ball.

I really didn't like his Dad as a player for us (was one of our poorest layers in his time imo - like him as manager of Worthing though!) but saw enough nous from Jack on Thursday to see there's a little more there and if RDZ thinks so that's fine by me! What is his actual position though as it appears he's doing well as a stand in left back!
A bit harsh. He was flying before his ACL. Just got into the England U21 team.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
RDZ: “I believe Pascal can play as a striker or winger, a centre back. Hinshelwood is the same. The only difference between them is their age.

“I think they are very close in terms of attitude and quality. Jack Hinshelwood can be the new Pascal Gross. I have given you the headline!"

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Poor kid is 18yrs old and due to excessive injuries has been shoved into the limelight, cut him some slack
Exactly. What the lad has done is to prove that he has a long term future at the club and/or in the Premier League.

We expect our players to be top six EPL level quality now. Jack is on target to achieve that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
RDZ: “I believe Pascal can play as a striker or winger, a centre back. Hinshelwood is the same. The only difference between them is their age.

“I think they are very close in terms of attitude and quality. Jack Hinshelwood can be the new Pascal Gross. I have given you the headline!"
High praise indeed.

Good the manager publicly backs a promising youngster and one of our own.

Not just slag him off on an anonymous forum!

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I hate to go against our esteemed manager, but I just think that speculation as to the progress of a young player is unhelpful.

Player development is far from linear and there are many hurdles for the lad to get over before he could become a player anywhere near as good as Gross.

It's been brilliant to see young Jack get and take his unexpected chance and to have a great name of Sussex sport performing in the PL is even more brilliant. But the best thing of all would be to see the lad go through his planned development path and earn the chance to shine in his favoured position, when we're in a position of strength to bring a youngster through rather than throwing someone in out of necessity.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I hate to go against our esteemed manager, but I just think that speculation as to the progress of a young player is unhelpful.

Player development is far from linear and there are many hurdles for the lad to get over before he could become a player anywhere near as good as Gross.

It's been brilliant to see young Jack get and take his unexpected chance and to have a great name of Sussex sport performing in the PL is even more brilliant. But the best thing of all would be to see the lad go through his planned development path and earn the chance to shine in his favoured position, when we're in a position of strength to bring a youngster through rather than throwing someone in out of necessity.

I think it very much depends on the player. Some thrown in the deep end and offered praise drown (Connolly?), others thrive and kick on (Ferguson, Hinsh?). I suspect a key difference between Connolly and Ferg/Hinsh is that the latter two have grown up and learned their trade in families who have history in the sport and have been very well mentally prepared long before they made the first team (despite still being teenagers). Both Ferg and Hinsh strike me as players that we need to consider as being mentally well beyond their youthful years.

I'm coming around to thinking of this season as a consolidation season now. Absolutely continue to push to get as deep in Europa as we can (the experience for the squad is worth it), and we need to maintain top 10 in the Prem. But I don't see this season as the one where we push for Champions League now. I think that's next season, when we'll have a young squad brim full of experience from this season and hopefully not having been gutted out by the vultures again. Ferg with a season behind him, Hinsh having his progress accelerated, Baleba and Gilmour bedded in properly, March back, Adingra and Mitoma, Pedro, Enciso, Facu, Estupinan, Igor and JPVH with a season behind them to support Dunk ... think we could be in a position in the next summer transfer window to be really targeted on recruitment without worrying quite so much about transfers out (Ferg is the one that worries me).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think it very much depends on the player. Some thrown in the deep end and offered praise drown (Connolly?), others thrive and kick on (Ferguson, Hinsh?). I suspect a key difference between Connolly and Ferg/Hinsh is that the latter two have grown up and learned their trade in families who have history in the sport and have been very well mentally prepared long before they made the first team (despite still being teenagers).
I agree with your point. This additional layer of support increases the chances of good decision making.

But a love of nightclubs isn't the only reason a player might not make the progress you would expect. Some just don't kick on in the way you'd expect.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I thought he had some really bright moments at Stamford Bridge, if he keeps his head down and listens to the coaches and senior players, we could have another diamond on our hands. He'll make mistakes, like all players do, its how he learns from those that counts.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Is it not flogging a dead horse by now?

Dwayne we all know your opinion on Hinshelwood, you don't need to pop up at every single opportunity to twist the knife further.

As others have said he's only a teenager trying to break into the team. Even if you don't think he'll make it, the persistence is odd.
agree but something tells me we will still be having this debate in two, three years time when hinshelwood is still in the team. think the poster in question has well and truly made up
their mind now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports